Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   New to STO and having trouble with Briar Patch mission (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=570381)

elemberq333 02-28-2013 09:59 AM

New to STO and having trouble with Briar Patch mission

It seems like my shields are down as they dissappear faster then any other mission I have been on before this, and I can only take on one ship at a time and even that is really difficult.

I took out two of the turretts pretty fast then when I head into the base area there are few more turretts and ships there so in about a minute, maybe less I am waiting for the respawn to be clickable.

I am only level 18, do I need to be higher level? What am I doing wrong? :confused:

altechachan 02-28-2013 10:00 AM

Hey elem, what ship and career are you using? Weapons, equips, and BOffs would be helpful to know too.

psycoticvulcan 02-28-2013 11:20 AM

Try to only engage one enemy (or three Birds-of-Prey) at a time. Also, you can ignite the metreon gas to damage anything within 4km of it.

elemberq333 02-28-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by altechachan (Post 8359011)
Hey elem, what ship and career are you using? Weapons, equips, and BOffs would be helpful to know too.

Ok well I have not spent any money on the game so far, just trying it out because I was testing another Cryptic game and when I found out they also did STO I decided to try it in off times when testing was not taking place. Can't really say much else about that as I am under an NDA agreement.

So all I have is the free ship you get at level 10, its a science vessel and all I have for crew are the ones given to me for free. The ship itself is equipped with the best things I could find as I did the various missions, patrols, etc leading up to the Briar Patch mission.

I really like STO so far but this one mission seems a bit frustrationg when they take out my shields so fast there is no possible way to keep them up for more then a minute or two. In fact the only way I can destroy any ship in that nebulae is if I run away from it and launch mines as fast as I can and the enemy ship runs into them because they are chasing me. That way at least I only need to keep my rear shield up and it seems like that is somewhat manageable.

tenkari 02-28-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elemberq333 (Post 8361441)
Ok well I have not spent any money on the game so far, just trying it out because I was testing another Cryptic game and when I found out they also did STO I decided to try it in off times when testing was not taking place. Can't really say much else about that as I am under an NDA agreement.

So all I have is the free ship you get at level 10, its a science vessel and all I have for crew are the ones given to me for free. The ship itself is equipped with the best things I could find as I did the various missions, patrols, etc leading up to the Briar Patch mission.

I really like STO so far but this one mission seems a bit frustrationg when they take out my shields so fast there is no possible way to keep them up for more then a minute or two. In fact the only way I can destroy any ship in that nebulae is if I run away from it and launch mines as fast as I can and the enemy ship runs into them because they are chasing me. That way at least I only need to keep my rear shield up and it seems like that is somewhat manageable.

so you play neverwinter. and wanted to try out Star trek stuff.

What Mark is your equipment? by level 10 you can equip upto upto Mk IV stuff. also, what other equipment (consoles) are you using and what power settings do you have?

different types of shields work better for different enemies. especially if they got energy damage mitigators on them. like klingons if i recall, thats mainly disruptor based energy. so try to find a mk IV shield with the [Dis] modifier on it. for a sci ship, i'd recommend a Covariant shield mainly since sciense ships have higher shield modifiers thus bigger numbers.

Also, another factor is your bridge officer poiwers. also you can find cheap rare bridge officers on the exchange which means if your ships missing spots you can easily and cheaply fill them.

having skills like hazard emitters, engineering team, emergency power to shields, trasfer shield strength and sci team all heal your hull or shields, which means you survive longer. polarize hulls pretty good too since it boosts your hull's resistance so when your shields are down you'll take a little less damage.

felixhex 02-28-2013 12:33 PM

It sounds like its a strategy problem. Instead of mines, where the enemy has to get close change to photons or something like that. Use torpedo spread if you can. You will get lucky for sure and ignite the gas that will take them out. Also, try using consumbles that build up your shields or weapons faster. And you can also adjust your weapon/shield/engine/auxilery power levels to suit your play style. I play with my weapons at full power and the rest be dam*ed. Goodluck and don't give on this one mission. Once you get to higher levels you get to do all kinds of stuff.

elemberq333 03-01-2013 04:36 PM

I guess I am so new to the game I don't even know where I can purchase the consumables that replentish shields and what not, and I have been relying on finding them as I play the game. I found one vendor where I could buy the ground consumbables and I seem to do fine in the ground senarios now.

Now I need to find the ship consumable vendors...

latinumbar 03-01-2013 04:57 PM

The ship consumables vendor is in the shipyard where you get new ships.

But you shouldn't need to rely on those. Your bridge officers should be able to heal your shields. At your level, you should have at least 3 officers. A tactical, an engineer, and a science officer. In a science ship, you should have 2 science abilities, 1 engineer, and 1 tactical. You should train them in some defensive skills. The skill trainer is found in earth space dock right outside sick bay in the NorthEast section of the ESD map.

I recommend:
Emergency power to Shields 1 for your engineer.
Hazard emiiters 1 for your science (ensign ability)
Transfer shield strength 2 (Lieutenant ability)

age03 03-03-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elemberq333 (Post 8361441)

You are not under an NDA agreement unles you played closed beta.You have agreed to the Eula or ToS.You can list your prof,rank and what ship you are using.Personally this mission is easy.

hereticknight085 03-03-2013 05:47 PM

Freebie level 10 science ship? That's a nova right?

So here's what I'd do with it:

Ens Tac: Tactical Team 1
Ens Engi: Emergency Power to Shields 1
Ens Sci: Tractor Beam 1
Lt Sci: Transfer Shield Strength 1, Energy Siphon 1

Also I would recommend either beam arrays or dual beam banks. You can keep the mine on your rear, and can add on a turret. Also, you have subsystem targeting. If you're having trouble with the klingon ships, shoot their weapons offline. If you fail, you'll at least weaken them. Also keep using Energy siphon to lower their power levels. You can also disable their engines and shields, so do so. Makes that mission a LOT easier. Lastly, just fly carefully. Tractor beam will enable to you freeze ships in place for short periods of time, so use it.

Hopefully that helps.