Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   Full Steam download, now launcher is taking hours (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=57310)

Archived Post 01-12-2010 12:40 PM

Full Steam download, now launcher is taking hours

I ordered from Steam and downloaded the 10GB they wanted me to get. I then downloaded the update from Steam(which took a while) and launched the client.
Now I have the launcher 'patching'. I don't know whether it's downloading a metric ton of bits, or just very, very slowly checking file integrity and downloading lots of small patches as well.

I've linked a picture, just in case that helps. It's taken 2 hours or so(from Steam finishing everything it had to offer and launching the client) to reach this point.

Any ideas?

Archived Post 01-12-2010 12:52 PM

Press X in the launcher and look at the patching root folder in the top-right. Is it the correct path (somewhere inside steamapps)?

Archived Post 01-12-2010 12:52 PM

According to 7's Resource Monitor, Star Trek Online.exe is chugging down the data as fast as it can get it.
I can appreciate there being additional patches, but I didn't expect another 5GB+ after all the Steam data and updates.
Is this really the case?

Archived Post 01-12-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderanger
Press X in the launcher and look at the patching root folder in the top-right. Is it the correct path (somewhere inside steamapps)?

It seems to have generated a completely new folder on the desktop called Cryptic Studios which contains subfolders with a bunch of new files.
How do I get it to point at the Steam location instead and stop downloading?

Archived Post 01-12-2010 01:01 PM

And now naturally, having closed it to check, it's started from scratch again.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

It seems to have generated a completely new folder on the desktop called Cryptic Studios which contains subfolders with a bunch of new files.
How do I get it to point at the Steam location instead and stop downloading?
Look at the registry key HKCU\Software\Cryptic\Star Trek Online : InstallLocation. Fix that to match the install folder inside steamapps.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 01:11 PM

Thanks very much.
All sorted and now downloading a much smaller patch.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 01:36 PM

It still wants to download the 10 GB patch for me.
I've set the path to:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\star trek online"
also tried:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\Star Trek Online"

Archived Post 01-12-2010 01:41 PM

Where did steam install the hogg files to?

Archived Post 01-12-2010 01:42 PM

In:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\Star Trek Online\Live\piggs"
and
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live\piggs"

I wonder how that could happen.

Ok, something VERY very strange is going on now:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live\piggs\Star Trek Online\Live\piggs"

just appeared.