Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   Game crashes my system after a couple of minutes (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=57335)

Archived Post 01-12-2010 12:53 PM

Game crashes my system after a couple of minutes

This could be a hardware problem on my end, but I will bring it up in case I am not alone.

my system

e8500
ati 4850
4GB ram

windows 7 64 bit

latest graphics / direct x drivers

Basically, the game starts and loads just fine. But after a few minutes, no matter what, my system crashes.

The precise sequence of events are as follows. My screen goes black, I can still here the sound and music playing in the background, it is as if my display just failed. Then a few moments later, I get a stuttering noise from the audio as if things have crashed.

No blue screen, no black screen, it just seems to be a persistent system crash after a few minutes of playing the game.

Is this some hardware quirk on my end? Or am I not alone and someone else is experiencing the same thing?

Archived Post 01-12-2010 12:56 PM

Please follow these directions for a DXDiag so we can try to help you. Thanks.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 01:11 PM

I'm havin' the -exact- same problem as the previous poster, however, aside from the OS, we have completely different rigs:

-AMD Phenom II 965 X4
-16 GB OCZ DDR3 1600 RAM
-256 GB SSD
-2x nVidia GeForce GTX 295's in Quad SLI mode...(I disabled this for troubleshooting purposes...still no luck).
-Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Edition

Here's my DXDiag:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/12/2010, 16:04:34
Machine name: BLACK
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7612
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16384MB RAM
Page File: 3064MB used, 29700MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: NVxx
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_05EB&SUBSYS_12983842&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4077 MB
Dedicated Memory: 877 MB
Shared Memory: 3199 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: HP 2709 Series Wide LCD Monitor
Monitor Model: HP 2709
Monitor Id: HWP283F
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HDMI
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,n vwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.17.0011.9581 (English)
Driver Version: 8.17.11.9581
DDI Version: 10
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 12/11/2009 01:17:14, 11776104 bytes

^That's all the relative information to this topic anyways.

EDIT: Another thing - I wasn't having this issue during Closed Beta. Game ran like a charm.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cipher_nemo (Post 1384253)
Please follow these directions for a DXDiag so we can try to help you. Thanks.

Here you go

http://pastebin.com/m65f221d3

Archived Post 01-12-2010 01:29 PM

A couple of possibilities....

First, is your video card overclocked at all? Even if it came as an overclocked model? Use ATI Tool or whatever software you have to set the GPU and memory clock speeds back to stock. If that still doesn't help, or if you do not overclock, try turning down the speeds below stock (as far as they'll go) to test. That will help eliminate heat problems or an unstable video card. Can you play other games just fine that run in DirectX 9 at full screen?

Second, you have that nice Xonar audio card installed. As much as I know it's a pain, I'd suggest removing it and running on built-in audio to test. Uninstall the Asus Xonar drivers, and install the latest ones for your built-in audio. If you have the same crashes/lock-ups you can eliminate that problem, then reinstall it and the latest Xonar drivers.

Third, if you're still having issues, try rolling back to 9.11 of the ATI drivers. 9.12 has mostly boosts for the 5000 series cards, so it's not going to hurt your graphics performance.

Forth, if you're still having problems, try a different video card just to test. Any cheap card will do, even if gameplay is lagged as a result. I've seen these sort of problems with blank screening on both ATI and NVIDIA cards, and it has to do with the GPU, DAC, DVI bridge chip, etc. on the cards getting either a timeout and dropping connection or powering off prematurely from built-in safeties (ie: thermal shutdown).

Also, how is the cooling in your PC? Temps ok? Do you monitor them at all? Try running the same way with the case open (no side on it).

I went through three GTX 285 cards before I found a good one (brand new ones) that had this problem, but it happened after 1-2 hours of play, not minutes. I later upgraded to a GTX 295 any ways.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cipher_nemo (Post 1384887)

First, is your video card overclocked at all? Even if it came as an overclocked model? Use ATI Tool or whatever software you have to set the GPU and memory clock speeds back to stock. If that still doesn't help, or if you do not overclock, try turning down the speeds below stock (as far as they'll go) to test. That will help eliminate heat problems or an unstable video card. Can you play other games just fine that run in DirectX 9 at full screen?

Second, you have that nice Xonar audio card installed. As much as I know it's a pain, I'd suggest removing it and running on built-in audio to test. Uninstall the Asus Xonar drivers, and install the latest ones for your built-in audio. If you have the same crashes/lock-ups you can eliminate that problem, then reinstall it and the latest Xonar drivers.

Third, if you're still having issues, try rolling back to 9.11 of the ATI drivers. 9.12 has mostly boosts for the 5000 series cards, so it's not going to hurt your graphics performance.

Forth, if you're still having problems, try a different video card just to test. Any cheap card will do, even if gameplay is lagged as a result. I've seen these sort of problems with blank screening on both ATI and NVIDIA cards, and it has to do with the GPU, DAC, DVI bridge chip, etc. on the cards getting either a timeout and dropping connection or powering off prematurely from built-in safeties (ie: thermal shutdown).

Also, how is the cooling in your PC? Temps ok? Do you monitor them at all? Try running the same way with the case open (no side on it).

I went through three GTX 285 cards before I found a good one (brand new ones) that had this problem, but it happened after 1-2 hours of play, not minutes. I later upgraded to a GTX 295 any ways.

Ummm..And for me? No O.C. - Don't really need it. I have 11 fans in my comp....the highest my 2 gfx cards get IN SLI MODE WHILE RUNNING CRYSIS ON V. HIGH is 47 degrees celsius which is cool for a gfx card with a threshold >80 degrees.

I can run other DX9 games just fine - No issues....

Archived Post 01-12-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cipher_nemo (Post 1384887)

It is factory overclocked, yes. I could try to down clock it. As for other games, I can play them just fine. Most recent game with some graphics muscle I have played has been ****.

Quote:

Could try, but as a last resort.

Quote:

The only other card I have on hand that was not sold is an old x1800 gto, and to my knowledge, the reason I took it out and replaced it may have been because it was busted.. or not, that was awhile ago.

Temps are not an issue, my case is open and the ambient room temperatures are quite mild. But I'll try something drastic like blowing a very large fan into my case to dissipate heat.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malediction
Ummm..And for me? No O.C. - Don't really need it. I have 11 fans in my comp....the highest my 2 gfx cards get IN SLI MODE WHILE RUNNING CRYSIS ON V. HIGH is 47 degrees celsius which is cool for a gfx card with a threshold >80 degrees.

I can run other DX9 games just fine - No issues....

Did you try the other things I mentioned or is your PC different than the OP's?

Could be a defective video card too, and the problems won't show up in every game since not every game is going to make the same set of API calls at one time, etc. I've seen this happen in LOTRO before (to me personally) and went through 3 video cards until I got one that worked (yeah, 2 brand new, defective video cards). I thought it was silly until I experience it first hand.

But of course it could be due to something else. The point is to try to troubleshoot the problem and not rule out anything unless you're 100% sure that it's not the problem.

Archived Post 01-22-2010 12:02 PM

I have almost the same issue. No its not my system, worked fine until the 18th. Only thing that seems to work is a full system scan on start up with recovery of bad sectors. Then game works fine until i log out, then upon loggin back in same ***** happens again. Only STO causes this, nothing else on my computer has ever caused it to lock up. Not sure what the issue is, but it started after the 18th down time

Archived Post 01-23-2010 04:33 AM

I have the same issue, same process too, game freezes or screen goes blank colour (could be any colour) and music continues for a bit then a stuttering sound. I have to do a cold reboot after that. I dont think its memory or heating as I can play Crysis or *** all day and the thing wont over heat.

Athlon 64 x2 5000+ Black Edition (not oveclocked)
M2N Deluxe Motherboard
8800GT Graphics
4 Gig Ram
Vista 64 Bit