Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   Community Discussion/Challenge: TOS-looking walls (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=574971)

drogyn1701 03-04-2013 10:27 AM

Community Discussion/Challenge: TOS-looking walls

As we all know by now, there are new TOS assets on Tribble, and I would expect them to go on Holodeck this week.

The problem is: no walls. We got consoles, the warp core, grates, wall-mounted objects like communicators and the like, but no walls.

So I'm putting it out to all you lunatic map-builders, until or unless Zero can find us some TOS-looking walls, we'll need something we can use that'll look good (besides trying to cram more stuff into the already-crowded Enterprise and Drozana maps). Experiment, think outside the box. Some of us have tried using buildings as interior walls, could be one of those might work. Could be there's some asset that could be mostly sunk into the floor and just the top of it would look good.

Doesn't have to exactly match the old Connie, just has to look good with the consoles.

Experiment, and post your screenshots here.

skydawnknight 03-05-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drogyn1701 (Post 8428691)
As we all know by now, there are new TOS assets on Tribble, and I would expect them to go on Holodeck this week.

The problem is: no walls. We got consoles, the warp core, grates, wall-mounted objects like communicators and the like, but no walls.

So I'm putting it out to all you lunatic map-builders, until or unless Zero can find us some TOS-looking walls, we'll need something we can use that'll look good (besides trying to cram more stuff into the already-crowded Enterprise and Drozana maps). Experiment, think outside the box. Some of us have tried using buildings as interior walls, could be one of those might work. Could be there's some asset that could be mostly sunk into the floor and just the top of it would look good.

Doesn't have to exactly match the old Connie, just has to look good with the consoles.

Experiment, and post your screenshots here.

Decided to take this on, since my next mission involves a lot of TOS madness. This took me all day to master, since the editor gives no indication as to where the edges of these walls are.

Screenshot from the turbolift: Screenshot 1

From the other side of the hall: Screenshot 2

It's not much yet, but it's a start.

lincolninspace 03-05-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skydawnknight (Post 8449511)
Decided to take this on, since my next mission involves a lot of TOS madness. This took me all day to master, since the editor gives no indication as to where the edges of these walls are.

Not bad. it looks passable. Sometimes you feel like the Dev's wana be like Q. Just throw difficult scenario's at us andsit back and see how we as a community can tackle them.

drogyn1701 03-05-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skydawnknight (Post 8449511)

Those look great, what asset is that? and the floor too?

Definitely a good start!

skydawnknight 03-05-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drogyn1701 (Post 8450091)
Those look great, what asset is that? and the floor too?

Definitely a good start!

Thanks. It's on the Oasis Clearing outdoor map using the Risa backdrop for lighting. I tried using the Mopada Desert - Day for the lighting but it's kind of bright on one side of the walls.

The walls are Holodeck Arch 01. They come close to what's needed, but you have to plan your turns and rooms very carefully.

The floor is a combination of Table - TOS Conference Table and Design - Lines 01

The ceiling is made of Generator - TOS 01, but I'm not quite happy with it. Might either dress it up or replace it. If anyone has any suggestions, please chime in! :)

drogyn1701 03-05-2013 03:44 PM

See I never would have considered the holodeck arch, lol. You could try putting in some of those round ceiling lights at intervals. Sink them into the ceiling a bit so they don't stick out too far.

thay8472 03-05-2013 04:00 PM

Devs, would it be possible to get Corridor props/sets added?

and by corridor I mean... floor,walls and cieling into 1 prop?

10/10 for the screenshots :P at a glance I would have easily mistaken that for the tosi nterior.

lincolninspace 03-05-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skydawnknight (Post 8450591)
Thanks. It's on the Oasis Clearing outdoor map using the Risa backdrop for lighting. I tried using the Mopada Desert - Day for the lighting but it's kind of bright on one side of the walls.

The walls are Holodeck Arch 01. They come close to what's needed, but you have to plan your turns and rooms very carefully.

The floor is a combination of Table - TOS Conference Table and Design - Lines 01

The ceiling is made of Generator - TOS 01, but I'm not quite happy with it. Might either dress it up or replace it. If anyone has any suggestions, please chime in! :)

I wouldn't have guessed that it was the holodeck arch. I made a shuttle interior with those pieces a few days ago. Im guessing that it wouldn't be too hard to make curved hallways with those props.

kirksplat 03-05-2013 04:37 PM

I'm impressed by the screenshots, but I can't help but think... it just looks so DOOM. If we only had the assets from Elite Force, lol.

I think that is probably the best we can do, and I never thought of using the arches like that. Still, it's kind of like a transporter pad built out of barrels. Impressive creativity and what not, but it's still a transporter pad built with barrels.

drogyn1701 03-05-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirksplat (Post 8451731)
I'm impressed by the screenshots, but I can't help but think... it just looks so DOOM. If we only had the assets from Elite Force, lol.

I think that is probably the best we can do, and I never thought of using the arches like that. Still, it's kind of like a transporter pad built out of barrels. Impressive creativity and what not, but it's still a transporter pad built with barrels.

Ain't got nothing else though, so we gotta make do.