Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=250)
-   -   Official Plasma Flamethrower Feedback Thread (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=575251)

pwebranflakes 03-04-2013 03:01 PM

Official Plasma Flamethrower Feedback Thread

Any bugs, comments, or concerns can go here!

The Plasma Flamethrower is available for testing on Tribble. Visit the Omega Contact outside of Commander Roxy's office on the Promenade of Deep Space Nine to obtain one for free. Feel free to also provide feedback about how your Bridge Officers interact with it on away missions, including if each officer has one.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

inkrunner 03-04-2013 03:41 PM

Using this weapon is... well, different.

In RPG mode (which, I must admit, I don't use often): Upon firing, it does not select a target, but instead sprays its noxious payload directly in front of you. It retains the ability to fire without an enemy present that the Shooter Control Scheme has, which may have something to do with its inability to default to a target upon firing. Also, and importantly, this weapon will follow your selected targets, just like any other gun, which leads me to conclude that the aforementioned qualities are bugs and not features.

In Shooter Mode: It seems fine to me.

Overall: It claims that there is a five second timer. I ran it continuously for a minute. I enjoyed that minute, but it didn't feel like that was supposed to happen.

Anyway, just my observations. I have not yet equipped it on my Boffs, but it wasn't too laggy on my computer (which isn't that great).

Well, good job Cryptic. So far. I think. Maybe.:rolleyes:

ssargon 03-04-2013 05:18 PM

Yeah, primary fire seems to drain fuel really slowly; I was uncertain it even did for a while. Not a complaint, mind you. Hell no, loves me my green tongue of fire. A couple oddities I noticed; I seem to be able to fire it on the Embassy, and it may be possible to burn things in other social zones; didn't go to any to try it out. Also I momentarily froze an EV suit Tholian Lieutenant with the melee strike; but only once, never could replicate it. Unless melee fractures their suit and freezes them, now. Not being able to autotarget in RPG mode is a pain though; I can't track things very well in shooter mode so I tried it in RPG, wasn't very helpful.

majortiraomega 03-04-2013 05:55 PM

When the weapon is used in shooter mode with the Aim function (33% Ranged damage), the continuous weapon fire will result in significant framerate lag. Also, when a player target is directly in the path of the plasma stream from either the flamethrower or the Turret IV from the embassy, that player receives a major framerate drop even on low graphic settings. From the looks of it, the FPS drops every time the majority of the screen is blocked by the fire animation.

theuser2021 03-04-2013 05:57 PM

The secondary function seems to drain energy too quickly while the primary function too slowly. I'm thinking Damage also seems to be somewhat on the low side, considering you have to be a little more than melee range to use it. Should put a proc on it that causes an enemy to loose control and run around on fire :).

Looks cool though, looks lethal...

archoncryptic 03-04-2013 06:58 PM

Just a couple quick notes.

-The primary fire of the weapon is currently draining Plasma Fuel too slowly on Tribble. This has been addressed internally and an updated version should be available soonish. The primary fire will still drain much more slowly than the secondary fire.

-The different firing style (shooting right in front of you instead of requiring a target) is intentional. It's made to be an AOE weapon that players can shoot at the area where they can hit the largest number of targets, rather than directly aiming at a particular enemy.

-We're aware of the framerate issues and looking into solutions. That's outside of my department, so I can't comment on it more than that.

-It should be disabled on social zones - I'll look into why it might be usable on the Embassy, thanks.

We appreciate all your feedback, thank you. Keep it coming.

themarie 03-04-2013 07:37 PM

Ok I tested it on some Breen tonight.

The targeting takes some getting used to but I like it.

The fuel mechanic -- this is interesting! Like the Torpedo weapon with the 5-shot are there plans to bring this mechanic to other weapons in the game?

The fuel consumption needs to be tweeked a bit though, as has been said throughout this thread.

I'll play with it a bit more this week if I have time.

One question: does this weapon require re-modulation against the Borg? If so that seems a bit silly -- plasma is ionized gas I'm not sure how you can modulate that... sort of like needing to RM the cryo-weapons... ;)

ssargon 03-04-2013 11:33 PM

They couldn't adapt when it first came out and that got fixed [or at least outed as a bug, didn't try it afterwards], sadly. Always did believe the Borg should just have a high base resistance to environmental damage like fire instead of adapting...

But it was damn fun while they didn't.

moronwmachinegun 03-05-2013 08:55 AM

Prior to this patch I did try it on Defera against the borgs, and yes you do need to remodulate. As an AoE weapon it needs remodulation pretty quickly too.

inkrunner 03-05-2013 04:49 PM

In my original review I neglected to take in to account something that is very important, and will probably come up again when the weapon is released:

The amount of work real players will put in to procure this weapon (months of their time) compared to the payoff of using it.

In all honesty, the payoff's not great, and here's why:

1: The damage, though it can spread over multiple targets, is low, even for a regular weapon (that is, unless you know how to use it right).

2: The Borg can adapt to fire. If the Borg can't adapt to a holographic Tommy gun (Star Trek: First Contact), then they can't adapt to fire.

3: This weapon, when fired, does not set my targets on fire. It's a flamethrower that doesn't light anything.

(P.S. These things are merely meant to give you a heads up of what you will likely see complained about in the other parts of this forum if this weapon goes live in its current state, and they do not reflect my actual opinions. Personally, I love this thing.)

EDIT: This sounded angrier than I meant it to. It has been corrected.