Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   How to use bit torrent for fast download (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=57817)

Archived Post 01-12-2010 03:41 PM

How to use bit torrent for fast download

I am making this thread for all those people out there that dont have bit torrent and dont know how to use it or what a torrent is ( dont worry, I was once just like you). Since bit torrent is by far the fastest way to download the client, using it is important. So here goes.....

Step 1: go to http://www.bittorrent.com/ and click the big green FREE DOWNLOAD button in the get bit torrent box. You will be taken to another page where the download should pop up, if it doesn't, click on the part that states "click here if your download does not start". Chose run or if you want a copy for later save. Follow the instuctions to download.

Step 2: When the download completes run the program and follow the guide to install bit torrent on your computer.

Step 3: Open bit torrent for the first time. Close the automatic tip box if it comes up, there will be plenty of time to read that later. In the upper left next to "file" click "options" and select "preferences". Now the options menu will appear. First select "bandwidth" from the upper left side of the box. Now look for the line that read" Maximum number of connected peers per torrent" and replace the number in that box with 1,000.

Next click "BitTorrent" along the left again. At the top under "Basic BitTorrent Features" make sure there is a check mark in the following boxes: Enable DHT Network, Enable DHT for new torrents, Enable Local Peer Discovery, Enable Peer Exchange.

Step 4: Almost done. The last thing to do is go to http://www.startrekonline.com/download and click on "torrent" under Download Via BitTorrent. A window will pop up and you will probly get a window labled "Internet Explorer Security" asking about BitTorrent. Click allow. Now your screen will switch to your bitTorrent program and it will have a box with the star trek online client in it. Click OK at the bottom and off you go! Just wait a few seconds and you will see a connection establish for the download that will show the speed. Kick back and relax, watch some t.v. read a book, ect. When the download finishes in a few hours ( I use the term "Few" loosely) later either right click on the star trek online client file in bitTorrent and select open or go into my computer, users, (whatever user you are), and then downloads, then select the star trek client file.

Well I hope this is helpful to all you guys out there trying to get on the game good luck and have fun:cool:

Archived Post 01-12-2010 03:48 PM

if i have already started downloading will this take over for the normal download?

Archived Post 01-12-2010 04:47 PM

Thanks for this info. I am downloading at the moment.

I am truly computer stupid. So The step by step guide was great.

I do have a couple of questions.

Can you explain Seeding?
Can you describe how to Seed/

Thanks again.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 06:23 PM

response

Ok as far as a bit torrent download taking over for another download, Im assuming that you are refering to the FilePlanet downloader. In anycase the answer is no. The download that you already have going is a seperate application running. These applications take little bits of data the make up the STO client and download them peice by peice and then put them back together in order to make the whole programm. So its like the bittorrent download is apples and the FilePlanet download data is oranges. If you try to combine them they wouldnt fill the order for either apples or oranges, you need a full batch of one or the other. But the difference is that there are laborors picking oranges and robots picking apples. The robots pick the fruit much much quicker and therefor even though you may have started with the fileplanet download first, it is very likely that the bittorrent will still start now and finish before the fileplanet download.

As far as seeding, this gets down to the basics of how bit torrent works. The programm breaks the file to be downloaded AKA the torrent down into a TON of little peices. As you are downloading the torrent you are recieving those peices from other people just like you (and sometimes like in this case a company, probly cryptic here, sets up a server to do the same as a starting point and constant seeder) that already have those peices downloaded on their computer. Now there are two types doing this, Peers and Seeders. Peers are people like you trying to download the file in question and have parts of it on their computer, but not all of it. But they can still help you and others because they might have more, or parts that you dont already have and send them to you and others. You too are in turn a Peer, helping others by sharing what you have while you download. The Seeders are the people that have the entire torrent or program and are just sharing all the peices needed to all the downloaders out there. So obviously more Peers helps increase the download speed, but the big ones are the Seeders. The more of those that are out there the faster the download rate because they give a much bigger boost as they have much more of the program to share. Once a Peer such as yourself finishes the download and has the complete torrent(program....file, ect) they then become a Seeder. Here is where selfishness of human nature comes into play. Running the bit torrent program takes up resorces on your computer and Seeding uploads data and cuts into your internet speed slightly. And since you have already downloaded the program and want to play it (and in this case it being an MMO that requires computer resorces and internet speed) alot of people tend to shut off their bit torrent, or limit their up load amount. These people are called leachers and can be identified and in many cases kicked off of bit torrent or banned from sites that carry torrents for not seeding. SO in short, the more peers, the better the speed....the more seeders the way more better the speed. And once you have completed your download of the torrent please help the other people out there that want to play by keeping your bit torrent open and your torrent uploading and seeding for a minumum of 24 hours before shutting it down. That way you are doing your part to spread the love just as someone else did when you were downloading and they were seeding.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask :cool:

Archived Post 01-12-2010 08:17 PM

My only question is why anyone hasn't invented a better system than this.

I've downloaded everything from Wow, EQ2, Eve Online, Lotro, Wizard 101, ****, Conan... and this is by far the WORST downloading experience I have EVER had. Shame on stupid Cryptic for not planning this better.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Did 23 hours... played for an hour, got booted, got the 10GB patch bug.. have been trying to redownload ALL DAY... what a waste of time.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaiya222
My only question is why anyone hasn't invented a better system than this.

I've downloaded everything from Wow, EQ2, Eve Online, Lotro, Wizard 101, ****, Conan... and this is by far the WORST downloading experience I have EVER had. Shame on stupid Cryptic for not planning this better.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Did 23 hours... played for an hour, got booted, got the 10GB patch bug.. have been trying to redownload ALL DAY... what a waste of time.

WoW was about the same when it went open beta (and actually it still uses P2P in some spots of its patching if i remember right), Eve dont care about so dont know LOTRO was ok, Wizard 101 was fine, **** was insane, Conan psh i dont like SOE anyways ^^

You've apparently ever done first day open beta. Downloading is INSANE the first 24 hours and it's a pain. Yes, they did pick some lame places to host it (fileplanet *COUGHS*) but the speeds aren't their fault. I'd like to see you bring up dedicated servers even with gigs of piped BW and handle 7.68 gigs being downloaded by thousands of people on your server :P

It wont last long ^^ Patience is a virtue.

Archived Post 01-13-2010 09:05 AM

not here it isnt. is speak from a perfectly economic standpoint. if this problem isnt sorted fast not only will many companies have their preorders returned and have consumer opt for places like Steam or D2D that actually work. cryptic will find those retailers less willing to work with them in the future because they cost them business and Cyptic is about to loose out on a lot of free beta testes who cant get access to the beta, thats gonna cause slowdowns in testing which will cause a buggy realease that will need lot of immeadiate patches which in all honesty will probably cause a drop in substriction to the MMO. Star Trek fans have been waitiing a long time for this game and we are a patient fan base but one thing we are not is a forgiving one.

Archived Post 01-13-2010 09:12 AM

Use a client like utorrent or vuze. BitTorrent client is total garbage in every respect.

Archived Post 01-13-2010 10:31 AM

IMHO there's nothing like direct download from site.

Last Lineage II I downloaded was so quick I barely had time to have dinner.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 06:08 AM

Biggest problem with torrents is that most ISP's shape bandwidth and kill torrent download speeds. Im with TalkTalk and downloading torrents is a waste of time. Make sure your ISP doesn't do this or you will be in for a long download wait.:(