My Critique of STO - Pros and Cons of the Game
Okay, I've only been playing the game a couple of hours now, but here are the things that jump out at me.
Summary: Buggy, rough around the edges, and no where near as polished as WoW or Eve. Game looks to be in Alpha, not Beta. However, the new direction (ie, you can play both as a Ship, like Eve, or as a humanoid, like WoW - also the concept of having a crew on your ship) means that it's worth persevering with, and giving it a chance. If some of the points below are fixed, the game will be awesome!
I fear though, the points below may mean that the game will fail to pull Eve or WoW players in.....
My PC information is posted below the pros/cons. Bear in mind, I have all the graphics settings turned up to the highest possible qualities.
1) Graphics/Animation no where near as smooth as WoW or Eve.
2) n the space parts, it's quite hard to maneuver. It could just be an acclimatisation thing maybe - but I remember Eve being more intuitive.
3) Some basic usability flaws. The tip/tutorial window appears in the centre of the screen, which covers your Avatar, which is very annoying - and makes gameplay nigh on impossible. Eveb worse, you have to keep moving it - the window doesn't remember it's last position when the next tutorial comes up. For example, if I move it to the side, and close the tutorial, when the tutorial restarts, the window position should remain at the side. However, it appears back to the centre again.
4) When changing graphic settings/options when in-game, it causes screen to go blank for very long periods of time - and this is for EVERY setting. They should either fix this, or make it so you do your settings out of game, like WoW - or at least give you a progress bar or something.
5) You can't see the NPCs/BOTs or other players on the map in the space part of the game; it would certainly make life a lot easier. And if you are a Starfleet captain, surely you should be able to see a graphical display of where the rest of the fleet/enemies are on your map?
6) VERY Laggy in highly populated areas
7) Difficulties logging on
8) After one of the first quests in space, I warped through a rock. I think this makes the game look amateurish. Ideally, the ship should turn around before warping.
9) The science officer of my ship addresses me as 'Callandra' - my first name. This is very informal - surely she should address me as my rank (Ensign?)
10) Chat is annoying. After typing a sentence and hitting 'Enter' you seem to have to need to click back into the chat window in order to type something else - each time you want to type something.
11) loading screen is bugged I think - I have a screen shot if required...
1) The gaming concept is amazing; ie, you can play both as a Ship, like Eve, or as a humanoid, like WoW. Completely new, and a great idea, in principle and practice
2) The wealth of options at the start of the game when configuring your character is around the best I've seen
3) Being in the Star Trek universe!
4) Despite flaws above, game play is pretty compulsive. But the above would have to be fixed to convince me to stay. I really enjoy the parts of the game where you play as a humanoid; ie, as an away party. Not so sure of the bits set in space. That part just doesn't seem polished enough. Sorry, that was a con! ;-)
PC: Alienware Aurora
OS Windows 7 (32 bit)
Processor AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 5900+ 3.0Ghz
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4800
Screen - Acer 22 inch wide
I must say that most of the Con's can be explained by the sentence " It is beta "
If it were early Beta, fair enough. But the game is due to launch in a few weeks, and I would have thought that these obvious points would have been addressed, having played several Beta's, such as WoW and Eve.
And I also think that you misunderstand me. I am not complaining. I am assisting the community and the developers by providing my feedback as an experienced gamer.
Also, my concerns about the graphics are nothing to do with it being Beta - it's simply a flaw of the game, imo. Unless the graphics were not intended to compete with the other big MMOs (WoW, Eve)
Thanks for making sure I knew what a Beta was tho ;-)
Im guessing they have a few extra peices tucked away for such fixes im sure they just wanted to see what we as players would precive as flaws
And I agree that the animation feels very stiff...
Just found this thread:
Basically, the card I use - the Radeon 5800 - cannot process anti-alias for the game.
Which is why the graphics look clunky....
I would imagine they'll fix this at some point soon :-)
While some of what you say may seem valid, your forgetting a few things
1) its BETA
2) comparing this game to two others that are 5 years out of the box(which still crash from time to time)
Give it time and take it for what it is
Its Frackin STAR TREK, 45 years people have been waiting, and i for one am excited to finally get it
Also remember, it can only get better
Good job Dev's. keep it moving forward
hmmm i remember the World of ******** beta to be a near disaster. Imagine the problems that were happening on the first day for this oen beta to be happening on the last day of opening beta for World of ********. THAT was ******** beta. Lets see how this Beta is in the next week.
1. Must be your computer... mine seemed prety darned smooth.
2. It's quite easy to fly... actually, i kind of like it. How the hell can you compare EvE (there is no controlls...???)
4. Again, must be your computer, never took mine more than 5 seconds to change ANY setting.
5. Sensor range?
6. Yes, i have to agree... at the moment, it is.
7. Yes but even now EvE is having similar issues for about 5 months now.
8. I agree 100%... flying thru rocks just struck me as odd, and firing through them/bulkheads.
10. It's the same in EvE
Bottom line... this game is gonna rock in a few weeks.
I Love it! Thank you Cryptic. Can't wait for the patch :D
What would happen if NO ONE wrote any comments and feedback? The game would go live with bugs.
If I didn't care about the game, and wasn't excited about it, I wouldn't be providing the feedback. Also, please note that I provided both pros AND cons.
It really is pointless and unconstructive of people to post 'BUT IT'S BETA!' to every comment or critique people make. YES, it's Beta. YES, I know what a Beta is. What's the point in having a Beta if no one provides feedback?
And I disagree that comparing the game to games 5 years out of the box is unfair. It means that STO has an advantage, in that it's easy to use these games as a template for a winning formula.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:55 AM.|