Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Question: Which ship is better? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=579511)

captainlim 03-08-2013 11:46 PM

Question: Which ship is better?
 
Im planning to buy a ship and i can't seem make a choice. I like the tactical escort retrofit but also like the multi vector advanced escort. Can you guys give comments?:)

azurianstar 03-09-2013 12:01 AM

You can always purchase Zen, then copy your character to Tribble to test them out. Your Zen copies over as well.



The Defiant has the cloak and is a powerhouse with attacks, but is weaker on the defense. And the Fleet version has 5 Tactical slots

The MVAM has the ability to split that gains 3 unique styles, which one boosts manuverability en par of a BoP. But while it's weaker on the attack without the LTC Tactical slot other escorts have, it's LTC Sci slot is very useful in support and survivability.

So boils down on your playstyle, are you pure offense, or you want firepower with support / survivability?

captainlim 03-09-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azurianstar (Post 8508261)
You can always purchase Zen, then copy your character to Tribble to test them out. Your Zen copies over as well.



The Defiant has the cloak and is a powerhouse with attacks, but is weaker on the defense. And the Fleet version has 5 Tactical slots

The MVAM has the ability to split that gains 3 unique styles, which one boosts manuverability en par of a BoP. But while it's weaker on the attack without the LTC Tactical slot other escorts have, it's LTC Sci slot is very useful in support and survivability.

So boils down on your playstyle, are you pure offense, or you want firepower with support / survivability?

well, the ship im going to use is with my engineering captain, so i guess my captain will do the surviving and my tactical officer do the attacking
:)

mimey2 03-09-2013 12:14 AM

A good choice then might be the Armitage, aka Heavy Escort Carrier. It has a Lt. Cmdr Engineer slot, allowing for much more surviving compared to the Defiant or MVAM, while dishing out some wicked damage regardless. It also includes a hangar bay.

captainlim 03-09-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimey2 (Post 8508331)
A good choice then might be the Armitage, aka Heavy Escort Carrier. It has a Lt. Cmdr Engineer slot, allowing for much more surviving compared to the Defiant or MVAM, while dishing out some wicked damage regardless. It also includes a hangar bay.

well, im not interested much on the armitage, with lieutenant engineering bridge station is good for me like with the defiant and prometheus.

zulisvel 03-09-2013 01:14 AM

Keep in mind if you go with the MVAM Escort the console also works in the standard RA Advanced Escort (which you possibly got for free) AND the Mirror Patrol Escort (which you can pick up cheap on the exchange for EC). So you can use it on the ship with the Lt. Cmd. Sci. station, or the Lt. + Ens. Sci. station combo, or the Lt. + Ens. Eng station combo.

Think of it as a pseudo-three pack for the Zen price of a single ship.

genemorph 03-09-2013 03:36 AM

Although I haven't flown an escort, I have read on the forum that the AI on the multi-vector escort when it splits up is quite annoying, frequently leading to the different sections dying a lot. It's worth checking that out first.

emacsheadroom 03-09-2013 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainlim (Post 8508281)
well, the ship im going to use is with my engineering captain

I already suspect the answer to this, but I want to know:

As an engineer captain why don't you try out a cruiser?

baudl 03-09-2013 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emacsheadroom (Post 8509281)
I already suspect the answer to this, but I want to know:

As an engineer captain why don't you try out a cruiser?

my guess would be because PVE content is much easier with escorts and he already found out about this.
Or he simply does not want to play a tank or supporter...which brings the argument up to my first point.


on topic: in my opinion engineering captain works fantastic on both ships...the fleet version for the defiant is available with a t3 shipyard while the fleet multivector needs a t4 SY. This may be a factor for you if you want to directly upgrade your ship after you purchase the z-store base variant.
personally i tend to the defiant for PVP and the MVAE f?r PVE (grav well1 is fantastic for PVE)
But since the breen cruiser (if you have it) is superior to the MVAE in that regard, i would suggest you get the defiant in any case.
Both are nice ships to have, but as i said, if you have a breen cruiser you do not need the MVAE for its ltdcmdr sci boff.

captainlim 03-09-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emacsheadroom (Post 8509281)
I already suspect the answer to this, but I want to know:

As an engineer captain why don't you try out a cruiser?

Well, i did, and recently people argued that escorts are better than cruisers as they underpowered and i kinda started to change to escorts. i think i might choose defiant class


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:05 PM.