Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   Anyone else getting stupidly high GPU temps? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=580611)

wunjee 03-10-2013 06:08 PM

Anyone else getting stupidly high GPU temps?

My rig:

M5A99X EVO
2x 1363-KR GTX460SC in SLi
8gb RAM
CM V6 GT
CX600M

Runs every other game I play at around 60, 65, 70*, which are the normal load temps for the GTX 460s. Including FarCry 3, uber-modded Skyrim, Interwebs Tanks, etc.

Played STO a few months ago just fine, no problems at all.

Patched and fired it up today, standing in ESD..

Instant 80*, black screen, stuttering sound. Have to reboot.

Get into a DSE, instant 80*, black screen, stuggering sound. Have to reboot.

Re-greased the primary card's heatsync (as the secondary card never tops 55*).

Instant 80*, black scree, stuttering sound. Have to reboot.

Play Skyrim for 2 hours, card never tops 70*.

Come back to STO, instant 80*, black scree, stuttering sound. Have to reboot.

Something's not right here.

dazzaj 03-10-2013 06:22 PM

I was getting high GPU temps. 95C on my ATi HD4850
So, I took the card out, removed the fan, cleaned the large wall of dust that had built up in the heatsink over the years, Applied new Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound to the GPU/Heatsink. put it all back together..

Now I run STO without it ever going over 55C

erocker 03-10-2013 06:22 PM

One thing I can think of is Skyrim automatically uses VSYNC which limits your frames to your monitor's refresh rate. Try turning VSYNC on in STOL, it won't work your GPU's as hard.

Also, if you haven't try blowing the dust out of your GPU's, perhaps reapply some new thermal paste.. It should help with temps with everything.

olivia211 03-11-2013 07:56 PM

The above suggestions are good. Don't forget to apply the thermal paste to your body as well. (wink)

I would also advise on taking the cards out and taking some compressed air to the heatsinks.

xdotsx 03-12-2013 10:57 AM

Clean the dust out of your PC, give the dust filters and fans extra attention.

If that still doesn't work well, your chassis ventilation might be insufficient. How many fans do you have and where? rpm and size, maybe brand if known?

Btw. you say "instant 80 degree C" -> how instantly? A chip can't go from 40 to 80 in like 5 seconds, at least not if there's a heatsink on it.

(this forum doesn't support the degree-symbol? wth...)

drachenfeles 03-12-2013 12:40 PM

I'm afraid I can't concur, my rig is pretty cool with STO running
apart from xdotsx's advise try different drivers, there are known issues with certain releases

stainer2u 03-13-2013 04:38 AM

Gpu

I can't say im over heating either...

I don't allow any of my gpu's or cpu's to exceed there normal speeds to casuse heat problems.. I'm running a simple

AMD FX9120 4.0ghz 8-core
ATI HD 7400+ 2gig card

Crazy part is my manual for the computer claims I can over clock the video card by 500ghz and I can over clock the cpu by 1.0ghz = crazy.

as of yesterday there is no way I can over heat anything in my pc due to this game. reason being is that it times out 24/7 now due to login issues. So on the good side STO is saving my GPU and CPU from heat relative issues.. Can I get a Amem!

xdotsx 03-14-2013 12:51 PM

Oh, just in case you got the idea to use a vacuum or some pressurized air to clean the fans -> Stick a pen or something in them, just make sure they can't move.

darkjeff 03-14-2013 05:27 PM

I'm sure OP knows how to clean his rig, the problem is most likely V-Sync. There's absolutely no reason it should be off for the majority of software out there.

hypl 03-14-2013 07:28 PM

Not sure if you use the framerate limit option or if it's an issue for you, but it is currently borked and is always set to off whenever you log on. I have to set it to 30 to prevent my GPU from overheating since it's a low end PoS.

Several patches ago graphics options were all broken (which Cryptic knew about in advance and decided to push out to holodeck anyway, putting anyone with a low or mid range rigs at risk). That may or may not be a factor and you may want to review your graphics options and see if anything is out of the ordinary.