Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Mk XII Purple Phasers - Which ones? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=582361)

red01999 03-12-2013 10:43 PM

Mk XII Purple Phasers - Which ones?

So I've managed to sniper-buy a bunch of Mk XII purple phaser beam arrays on the exchange over the last few weeks, so as to help max out my ship. I have them with the following mods:

[Acc]x2 [CrtH] - two of these
[CrtH]x3 - three
[CrtD]x3 - three
[Acc][CrtD][CrtH] - two
[Acc][CrtD]x2 - one

And possibly a few more.

And I need six for my cruiser. No problem, right? Well, thing is that the [Acc]x2 [CrtH] sell for several times more than most of the others (6-10M EC versus 1-6M EC, or so). I am as such wondering if I should equip them or sell them, ESPECIALLY since apparently Mk XIII and XIV are coming down the pike, and I have no idea if this gear is going to be obsolete in a few months - hence maybe I should sell the best ones and bide my time for later weapons.

This is for a tactical captain with Accurate and Elusive traits, in a Fleet Assault Cruiser Refit. I only rarely PvP, although I wouldn't mind being better at it. However, I do want to make certain I get some decent cash, in case the value on these things is about to plummet through the floorboards.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

skollulfr 03-12-2013 10:49 PM

no point playing for what the devs will do in a few months, just deal with it when it happens.

weapons with acc modifiers are the preferred in pvp since evasion stats & high weapon power mean missed shots are more common & more costly.

red01999 03-12-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skollulfr (Post 8559951)
no point playing for what the devs will do in a few months, just deal with it when it happens.

weapons with acc modifiers are the preferred in pvp since evasion stats & high weapon power mean missed shots are more common & more costly.

OK, assuming I pick the [Acc]x2 [CrtH] arrays, what would you recommend for the other four? Stick with the [Acc] ones no matter the other modifiers, or go for something heavily stacked (e.g. [CrtH]x3), or something else?

Thank you again for your assistance.

skollulfr 03-12-2013 11:52 PM

if you use beam overload a lot then thats a lot of wasted dps if you arent hitting.
yea, you will get more for the acc modifiers on the exchange, but it will depend on your own wants.
do you want the credits niw to buy phased polarons? armor? some other item?

aparently there is some link between accuracy & crits, but i dont know it to be specific.
leave it until tomorrow for one of the more invested pvp centric players to post.

pokersmith1 03-13-2013 12:02 AM

If you are only going to PvP, you will hardly need [acc] mods, especially since you already have accurate trait. So go for either [crtd] or [crth] mods. I personally prefer [crtd]. Another thing, mk xii tend to be much more expensive than mk xi, which really does not justify the gain. If you are not hell bent on having all mk xii at all costs, I would sell those mk xii at a profit margins and fit my ship with mk xi's instead.

chillee 03-13-2013 08:41 PM

I would not hold my breath for Mk XIII and Mk XIV gear. Stahl implied a halt to things like this in recent interview. He even put into question there would be Tier VI ships.

Think of it this way: suppose you want to update your video card for your computer. You know the card is important and that the NVidia GTX Titan is the current king of the line (Mk XII). The question remains, do you spend to get the top of the line now? Or do you wait for that inevitable "better card" when it comes out... which may be one or more years from now, at the earliest.

For the record, I just installed an eVGA Titan this last weekend... and I've carry six Phaser XII arrays {Acc x 3] in my inventory (currently using five) for some time. Kerrat is the place to get Mk XII gear like this, or spend the energy credits. Yes, Accx3 is crucial in PvP, but it is useful in PvE as well since excess Acc converts to increase chance of criticals (CritH), which is much easier to do in PvE than PvP. In PvE (i.e. elite STFs), I average a crit once every 6 shots... and I do not have the Accuracy trait for my character, and I am not firing any cannons either.

jadensecura 03-13-2013 09:29 PM

You can find all the details on how excess [Acc] turns into crit here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=218935

Basically, every 10% extra [Acc] over an opponent's defense value turns into 1.25% CrtH bonus and 5% CrtD bonus, which is probably less valuable than any other modifier. For reference, with maxed Targeting Systems and a single [Acc] modifier my turrets have never missed in my last two STFs (I'm pretty sure I don't have Accurate, but I'll try to remember to double check that next time I'm in game). So if you're not going to PvP you don't really have to worry about [Acc] except for projectiles and fighters, both of which are usually minor concerns (caveat: may not apply for the later levels of No Win Scenario, the people I saw discussing that did seem to be trying hard to intercept projectiles).