Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   What other 'Trek tech' do you feel is possible or impossible? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=583371)

mimey2 03-14-2013 12:25 AM

What other 'Trek tech' do you feel is possible or impossible?

We've had discussions and such on some of the more famous of technologies from Star Trek, such as warp drive, tricorders, transporters, and so on.

But do you feel that any other 'Trek tech' is possible or impossible? This could be ANYTHING in Star Trek (but try and keep it to shows and movies).

Like I said, anything...from EPS relays, to the Genesis Device, energy weapons, deflector shields, and so on and so on from there.

neoakiraii 03-14-2013 12:32 AM

TOS communicators.....a small device that is only used for ONE thing talking never gonna happen.

If they knew about IPhones in the 60's....Kirk would be playing Fruit Ninja on away missions while Spock is talking about Logic, and McCoy is on a rant.

sander233 03-14-2013 12:32 AM

Number 2 on Sander's List of Silly Words To Live By:

"Nothing's impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That's what being a scientist is all about." - Prof. Hubert J. Farnsworth

collegepark2151 03-14-2013 05:44 AM

I haven't seen anything tech wise in Trek that I would say is impossible. Improbable, maybe, and certainly not in only 200-300 years.

But hey, no one in the 60's thought their communicators would be already be outdated 50 years later.

I guess in the spirit of the OP, my personal Trek tech longshots: FTL travel, transporters, subspace (though technically that's not a technology, just a supposedly as-yet unknown natural phenomenon).

Maybe dark matter will turn out to be subspace. (Or my personal opinion is we'll refine our calculations enough to negate the existence of dark matter and dark energy.)

I think we could see replicators in the next hundred years. I used a 3-D printer for my senior design project in college back in 2002. Granted, it was just corn starch, but I think it's a good start.

reyan01 03-14-2013 05:55 AM

Not saying it's impossible as such, but am convinced that we won't see transporters in our lifetimes.

As someome else said earlier, I won't discount it flat-out; no-one knows what the future holds, but I don't beleive that the tech to disassemble and reassemble something as complex as a human body, on a molecular level, will exist in my lifetime, and probably not my children's either.

kamiyama317 03-14-2013 08:21 AM

I think transporters are impossible. Converting you to energy just means that the machine is killing you. It's killing you instantaneously and painlessly, but it's still killing you. It then makes a copy of yourself at a new location. Is it really you? Does it contain your soul? I think it's an evil twin.

Wormholes, or Iconian Gates, would be a better alternative to instantaneous travel. These don't tamper with or kill your body when you use them.

lincolninspace 03-14-2013 08:26 AM

Scanning plannets for lifesigns from many light years away and even being able to detect what species is which seems more like witchcraft or dowsing to me than anything scientific.

lordmalak1 03-14-2013 08:32 AM

Phase modulating matter is as much wishful thinking as time travel.

xtern1ty 03-14-2013 08:37 AM

Actually the only thing I can think of as impossible are the lack of crew safety equipment on starships. No bars to hold on to, no seat belts, not cushioned walls. Space exploration for real the way they build those interiors can injure someone seriously in the event of battle, speed, collision, or just plain turbulence as seen in so many episodes and series.

The rest is doable, given enough time and energy and knowledge devoted to developing those systems.

On an unrelated note, I'm searching for longterm active players like myself to build a longterm fleet with me. If you haven't heard it, it's all the rage in zone chat. Check it out in the Starbase One section, title of the thread is: STO Talent Search. Hope this reaches the right people.

khayuung 03-14-2013 08:53 AM

We already know that anaphasic energy is just bull:P.