Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Ship assistance :-) (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=584101)

herbiehdykeman 03-14-2013 06:18 PM

Ship assistance :-)

I've noticed others posting requesting assistance with builds, but I thought it would be fun to role-play the scenario as my main character appearing at a briefing before the Starfleet Combat Readiness Commitee

:::

Thank you fellow admirals for agreeing to meet with me, first of all let me introduce myself. My name is Vice Admiral Robert Lee. As I expect to be participating in several engagements with any one of starships at my disposal in the future, I have brought with me information on the starships as well as my command-grade officers.

I shall start with a summary of the ships:

USS Aragorn NCC-93012 Sovereign-Class Assault Cruiser
USS Endymion NCC-93972 Cheyenne-Class Heavy Cruiser
USS Forrest Taft NCC-92372 Ambassador-Class Support Cruiser (Retrofit)
USS Mopripoma NCC-93774 Unknown Class Mirror Assault Cruiser (Visually identical to Avenger-Class Star Cruiser
USS Queen Serenity NCC-93729-A Galaxy-Class Exploration Cruiser (Retrofit)
USS Traveler NCC-93416 Miranda-Class Light Cruiser

Any questions or comments so far?

sander233 03-14-2013 06:24 PM

Pleased to meet you, Admiral.

Vice Admiral Jesu LaRoca here, diplomatic liaison to Starfleet Security.

Do you envision setting aside different ships for different of engagements? One to engage the Borg in Special Task Forces, one to engage the Klingons in the Neutral Zone, another for general patrols and fleet actions and so forth?

And if so, which ships do you intend to use for which roles?

herbiehdykeman 03-14-2013 06:30 PM

My engagements have been mostly against Borg thus far in the Queen Serenity, the others have been in reserve until I figure that out or gain further insight.

eisaakaz 03-14-2013 07:32 PM

Vice Admiral Eisaak Lirr here of the U.S.S. Dante Alighieri.

Question: If I am to be saddled with the U.S.S. "Bleeding War Cow" Forrest Taft,
May I request the self destruct code now and get this over with?

Thank you sir.

herbiehdykeman 03-15-2013 01:21 AM

Attempting to keep this briefing on a professional level, Admiral Lirr, I take it you are not too fond of the Ambassador-Class retrofit?

lasonio 03-15-2013 08:23 AM

Good morning captains, I apologize for interfering in these accords. I am hoping it's not private but an public seminar.

Horatio Serophino-Oz, Vice Admiral and commanding officer of the U.S.S Amara Lee.

I also now have a reborn interest in cruisers and would like to see where this tactical conference goes to from here.

Hmm... a cruiser specialized to engage the Borg in Special Task Forces, one to engage the Klingons in the Neutral Zone, another for general patrols and fleet actions? This seems to interest me greatly.

As you were gentlemen, I will observe until I am comfortable enough to speak on a subject matter I believe after my last conference I am perhaps sorely lacking in.

eisaakaz 03-15-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbiehdykeman (Post 8594261)
Attempting to keep this briefing on a professional level, Admiral Lirr, I take it you are not too fond of the Ambassador-Class retrofit?

Sir, NO sir.

I did my dissertation at the Academy on the Battle of Narada III. In my paper I proved that the Enterprise C had several design flaws that directly resulted in its failure as a heavy cruiser.

First being the new shield design had a odd harmonic resonance that actually caused the temporal rift. Due to the beam frequency of the Romulan war birds of the time.

Second being that the ship was designed with a special kinetic force distribution module, much like the VW Beetle of the 21 Century. If you strike the car in the front the energy is moved around the passenger compartment to protect the occupants. However this new design in the Enterprise C this damage moved directly to the bridge which resulted in more command officer deaths than average for any Federation ship ever built.

Personally I am not sure why the Enterprise C is still in service and would rather leave Starfleet than ever be forced to command one of those death traps.

misterde3 03-15-2013 09:16 AM

You only speak of the Enterprise-C.
But that incident was over half a century ago.
There have been numerous problems with combat units in the past that were only detected after the unit had actually made it to production status.
Yet this could usually be remedied rather quickly without the need to drop the entire production line.

In the 2360's drastic modifications were made to the entire ship, including a moving of the saucer section relative to the rest of the ship as well as several changes to the entire bridge module setup.
The "ring" of lifeboats was removed and the internal struts were rearranged, which resulted in a reinforcement of the hull surrounding the bridge.

As a reference to the modifications, have a look at this analysis of the external properties.

http://ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/ambassador.htm

I find it most reasonable to assume the weak points you spotted in the old version from the 2240's no longer exist.

I am at the very least unable to confirm their existence.
My current command, a Fleet Level Ambassador with all the recent improvements in internal and external hull arrangement named "U.S.S. Duke of York" has proven to be very resistant to damage from every enemy she has encountered.
I have yet to register a drastic increase in console explosions or catastrophic collapse of struts that tend to crush people with the rank of lieutenant or below.
During my repeated confrontations with the Borg losses have actually been rather low compared to the Star Cruiser I had been commanding the previous 2 years.

stardestroyer001 03-15-2013 09:21 AM

*rushes into the room* Excuse my tardiness, I was caught up in an emergency briefing three minutes prior.

I am Captain Janok, here to speak about cruisers and engineering careers. (Actual rank is VA... then again, who isn't a VA in this game...)

First of all, your available ship list. From Starfleet databases, I have determined that the only vessels suitable for fleet and solo operations are the USS Mopripoma and the USS Queen Serenity.

As you have not indicated a career preference in your initial briefing package, may I inquire as to your career path? This will influence the type of role your ship will fulfill. In terms of the ships, I will provide a quick summary of each ships' capabilities, strengths, and weaknesses.

USS Mopripopa - Avenger-class Assault Cruiser (Mirror, authorized by Starfleet Wartime Policy 67-B)

The Avenger-class line of Cruisers features a large amount of defensive and survivability capabilities, making it a viable ship for tanking. It can also serve a support role for fleet operations.

Ens Lt LtCmdr Cmdr Lt

*Utilize two Tactical Teams.
* I suggest Aux to SIF, EPtS and Extend Shields, as well as Engineering Team.
* I suggest running TSS and Hazards.

USS Queen Serenity - Galaxy-class Retrofitted Exploratory Cruiser

A design dating back to the 2360s, the venerable Galaxy-class exploration cruiser has had an extensive history of service as the forefront of exploration, diplomacy, administrative and defensive missions. Currently, although outdated, Galaxy-class starships are frequently seen in fleets and border patrol missions. This ship excels at fleet support roles and is a viable tanker, however, the ship is no longer Starfleet's leading edge in firepower.

Lt Cmdr LtCmdr Ens Lt

*Run one copy of Tactical Team.
*Run Extend Shields, Aux to SIF, EPtS, RSP, and Engineering Team. I suggest an Aux2Bat build, if possible.
*Run TSS and Hazards.

eisaakaz 03-15-2013 09:25 AM

I am sorry, I did not catch your name.... but those are excellent points.

I therefore remove my objection to its inclusion in this discussion. Lets move forward.