Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Prefire chamber + AP mag regulator (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=584221)

valkarie14 03-14-2013 08:44 PM

Prefire chamber + AP mag regulator
 
Well to be honest not just AP but any energy type increase console, which is better? Im using dual heavies so just wondered would the energy console give me more damage or would the cannon increase do that?

sander233 03-14-2013 09:16 PM

As a rule of thumb, weapon-type-specific consoles, be they for energy weapons (Phaser Relays, AP Mag Regs, etc.) or torpedoes (Ambiplasma Envelope, Transphasic Compressor, etc.) deliver a 50% greater damage bonus than the equivalent generic weapon-class consoles (Prefire Chamber et al.)

This makes generic Tac consoles all but worthless.

eisaakaz 03-14-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sander233 (Post 8592571)
As a rule of thumb, weapon-type-specific consoles, be they for energy weapons (Phaser Relays, AP Mag Regs, etc.) or torpedoes (Ambiplasma Envelope, Transphasic Compressor, etc.) deliver a 50% greater damage bonus than the equivalent generic weapon-class consoles (Prefire Chamber et al.)

This makes generic Tac consoles all but worthless.

I don't know about that completely. You know there are two ways to play this game.

1. Is to have one very specific ship that is maxed out to do one thing.

2. To have one ship that is good for all situations.

I believe when this game was designed the point was to use one ship and switch out your Bridge Officers, consoles, and/or weapons to deal with each situation. That is not what we do today but if you wanted say plasma for Borg and anitptoton for Tholian and phasers for Klingons... then the cannon consoles would be a cheaper more generic way to go.

I admit that almost no one does this but that is more the point of the cannon or beam Tac consoles. This would also work if you did run a rainbow ship.... which some players still swear by. I don't support it but if you are mixing your energy types you might want a more generic boost.

Eisaak

lostusthorn 03-14-2013 09:46 PM

Anything but using energy type boost consoles is wasting a lot of damage output.
It is that simple.

ddesjardins 03-15-2013 12:50 AM

Early on I experimented with using generic bonuses to allow for multiple energy types. The end result in dps was significantly lower than an all-one type of energy output.

I used ACT to measure the output and compare.

If all I was looking for dps, moving to a single energy type and console is the better route.

But I was interested in more than just output. I thought that perhaps a 1-2 punch of two types of energy might be an interesting combo to throw opponents off guard. Keep in mind I am talking about PvE, and it was early in my first game.

The 1-2 strategy did give me some benefits. When one type saw resistance, the second saw traction. This ended when we got to the stage of doing STF's.

People's reaction to 'rainbow' boats aside, the dual strategy against the borg was ineffective. It didn't take me long to realize that I needed a weapons upgrade. Math decided that at least using a single stacking console type was the better route to go. The gave out to replacing to one type of weapon.

Over time you listen to those you play with. Antiproton was the latest and greatest, so I went antiproton. Over time it became clear that any energy type could be used effectively. Today I use romulan plasma and the elite fed Phasers (on different ships of course).

The reality is unless you know who you're fighting, you cannot guage weaknesses. As you grind - and lord knows you will grind - you'll settle on the one that works best for you.

My Two Bits

Admiral Thrax

eisaakaz 03-15-2013 07:11 AM

Sometimes I think people on the forums purposely miss the point of others posts.

Not everything is about "the math" or "damage output". Yes the simple answer or MATH says that A plasma infuser for plasma Beams is going to give you more DAMAGE OUTPUT over a directed energy distribution manifold. HOWEVER, the MATH also says that a cruiser with a directed energy distribution manifold will have more DAMAGE OUTPUT if the player is running 8 different beam types on their ship.... which I don't personally recommend. My point was that all other Tac consoles are not worthless depending on the player's need.

PLEASE try to actually read the post before you start telling people they are wrong.

Eisaak

zerobang 03-15-2013 08:03 AM

i remember in the beginning 3 years ago the beam / cannon / torpedo / mine damage consoles had the same numbers as the phaser / disruptor / photon / quantum - consoles

at some point the Dev's decided to change the numbers to what they are now, pretty much making the generic beam / cannon / torp / mine consoles worthless to use, unless you level up and have nothing better at the moment.

pokersmith1 03-15-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eisaakaz (Post 8596211)
Sometimes I think people on the forums purposely miss the point of others posts.

Not everything is about "the math" or "damage output".

Oh, the irony!!



Quote:

Originally Posted by valkarie14 (Post 8592321)
Well to be honest not just AP but any energy type increase console, which is better? Im using dual heavies so just wondered would the energy console give me more damage or would the cannon increase do that?

Like the other good posters above me (except one:rolleyes:) posted above, u always wanna load the tac console that is specific to the energy type of your weapons. Generic tac concole lose out on a lot of damage/dps.

eisaakaz 03-15-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddesjardins (Post 8594091)
Early on I experimented with using generic bonuses to allow for multiple energy types. The end result in dps was significantly lower than an all-one type of energy output.

I used ACT to measure the output and compare.

If all I was looking for dps, moving to a single energy type and console is the better route.

But I was interested in more than just output. I thought that perhaps a 1-2 punch of two types of energy might be an interesting combo to throw opponents off guard. Keep in mind I am talking about PvE, and it was early in my first game.

The 1-2 strategy did give me some benefits. When one type saw resistance, the second saw traction. This ended when we got to the stage of doing STF's.

People's reaction to 'rainbow' boats aside, the dual strategy against the borg was ineffective. It didn't take me long to realize that I needed a weapons upgrade. Math decided that at least using a single stacking console type was the better route to go. The gave out to replacing to one type of weapon.

Over time you listen to those you play with. Antiproton was the latest and greatest, so I went antiproton. Over time it became clear that any energy type could be used effectively. Today I use romulan plasma and the elite fed Phasers (on different ships of course).

The reality is unless you know who you're fighting, you cannot guage weaknesses. As you grind - and lord knows you will grind - you'll settle on the one that works best for you.

My Two Bits

Admiral Thrax

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokersmith1 (Post 8596761)
Oh, the irony!!





Like the other good posters above me (except one:rolleyes:) posted above, u always wanna load the tac console that is specific to the energy type of your weapons. Generic tac concole lose out on a lot of damage/dps.

Oh the irony indeed.... he never said he was only using one type of energy in his cannons did he???

so now I must say... read more closely... you know, the details.

Eisaak

hevach 03-15-2013 10:44 AM

At least two people here talking about using different energy types to get around PVE resistances, so this bears being said: Parses do not support the claim that any NPC in the game has specific weaknesses or resistances to single energy types, and dev posts confirmed that for general situations with the caveat that Tholians didn't exist at the time. Certain enemies, primarily Borg, have across the board elevated resistances, and effect resistance are less consistent (shield drain, subsystem offline, and power drain being relevant to tetryon, phaser, and polaron weapons, again mainly just Borg resisting power/subsystem effects), but there is literally no reason to be changing out weapons based on the enemy being faced, and likewise no benefit for splitting energy types for the same purpose.

Specific resistances become relevant in PVP, but the energy type decision in PVE is dictated by procs and not resistances. And the individual proc rate on a weapon is vanishingly small, even all 8 firing at once there's a nontrivial chance of getting 0 procs in a fight, splitting the proc rate down into single weapons and aside from antiproton (crit rates can be much higher than proc rates) the chance of getting any individual proc in a fight is a rounding error.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:02 AM.