Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Could Khan soon be real? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=585661)

azurianstar 03-16-2013 03:44 PM

Could Khan soon be real?

Just saw this article today and just couldn't help but think of Khan and the Eugenics wars. (Not saying it would happen, but the parallels are surprisingly creepy).

Especially now that Warp Drive has been proven, there is theories of making a functional cloaking device, we have communicators (cell phones), lasers that actually stun, real-time translation programs, and Transparent Aluminium.

All we need is Vulcans to land on Earth and Star Trek would be real. ;)

neoakiraii 03-16-2013 03:49 PM

And so it begins.

hortwort 03-16-2013 05:26 PM

You know what's funny about all that? There was a sperm bank back in the early 80's that used Nobel Prize winners. There was a big moral fuss about it though. Everything from "they took our jobs!" to "you're a racist!" As soon as the Hitler parallels came up, the Nobel guys ran away. That was the end of the US eugenics program.

I'm glad another country is finally doing something like that. I thought the world in Gattaca was pretty cool, though it was clearly meant to be a horrible world. Meh.

The US reaction reminds me of an old story. A guy was granted a wish. He wanted to be smarter than everyone else. Sooooo the genie made everyone else in the country stupid. Yay. Mission accomplished. :eek: :(

jonsills 03-16-2013 05:56 PM

Well, actually the Alcubierre-White warp drive is still in the theoretical stage - NASA's still working on a testbed to try to create a microscopic warp. If that can be done, then it can be proved that Alcubierre's theory describes reality, and they can begin working on a ship-sized version (preliminary plan calls for a football-shaped craft about 30 meters across, with a flattened toroid of exotic matter to generate the warp)...

nynik 03-16-2013 05:57 PM

He Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan't be. But having said that, maybe he Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan be.

I think we (humanity) will move towards engineered offsrping in some fashion within this century. What may start of as simple genetic abnormality screening, could quickly change to become a Gattaca-like situation. I just don't think we'll go towards super soldiers given the advances in technology and how we'd rather have a cheap, mass manufacturable machine versus an as yet socially unacceptable human weapon.

neoakiraii 03-16-2013 06:12 PM

What if the new Super human overlords were good, and the Aliens that came down were bad...something to think about

centersolace 03-16-2013 06:27 PM

I for one do not welcome our chinese super baby overlords.

sander233 03-16-2013 11:22 PM

Super-smart Chinese kids, eh?

Maybe these ones will figure out how to glue the soles of my Nikes on properly.

jkstocbr 03-16-2013 11:29 PM

Either Kahn or ..... this

hevach 03-16-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hortwort (Post 8620111)
You know what's funny about all that? There was a sperm bank back in the early 80's that used Nobel Prize winners. There was a big moral fuss about it though. Everything from "they took our jobs!" to "you're a racist!" As soon as the Hitler parallels came up, the Nobel guys ran away. That was the end of the US eugenics program.

I'm glad another country is finally doing something like that. I thought the world in Gattaca was pretty cool, though it was clearly meant to be a horrible world. Meh.

The US reaction reminds me of an old story. A guy was granted a wish. He wanted to be smarter than everyone else. Sooooo the genie made everyone else in the country stupid. Yay. Mission accomplished. :eek: :(

The program also flopped, severely. Controlling for parental income, what few babies it did produce performed no better than randomly conceived children. Controlling for parental education, they performed worse. This program will likewise probably prove an extravagant waste of money - like Gattaca the expensive elite breed that comes out of it will end up being a product of the education and opportunity afforded by importance, not their inherent superiority.

Regarding warp drive, the biggest obstacle is that we're still not actually sure the stuff we need for the torus exists or can be created at all, let alone in sufficient mass. It's consistent with physics, but not required.