Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   How do you build a PC? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=58857)

Archived Post 01-13-2010 01:38 AM

How do you build a PC?

This game finally sold me on upgrading, but I've always read about how for 800 bucks you can go to best buy and get a pretty bad computer or you can build a pretty good one for yourself. Does anyone know a website that tells you how to do this? I am really interested in it.

Archived Post 01-13-2010 01:44 AM

If you go on youtube and type in your exact thread title you will find step by step guides. You will also need to have some basic knowledge of all the parts, because it can be possible to damage compnents if they are plugged in incorrectly. You also need to read up on some safety tips when building a PC so you dont hurt yourself

Archived Post 01-13-2010 01:58 AM

Do your research. there are many different connectors on the motherboard and between the other hardware components. If you dont plug everything in correctly you could have a very expensive mess on your hands, even if you did save a lot by trying to build it yourself.

Archived Post 01-13-2010 02:03 AM

Quite frankly I think there is no real need anymore to build your own PC unless you want to learn it (but then be prepared to damage things and have frustrating moments), have a very very specific configuration or both.

I used to built the computers I own myself. However, as I grew older I realised that it is not really necessary (at least for me) to built one from scratch.
I still do it, of some sort, but I go with a barebone. A barebone is a chassis with mainboard. You "only" need a CPU, RAM, Harddisk, CD/DVD-ROM. Very likely the graphiccard is onboard, but those are not meant to be used for playing. So you have to make sure the barebone and its power supply is able to fit in a better graphiccards.

Sorry, I have no idea about the prices in the US (I assume you are, as you said 800$, sorry if you turn out to be canadian, australian or kiwi), but with 800 $ I think you should get a decent PC.
After all, you have to do the same as if you built one on your own....check the components.
For (occasional and not top notch) gaming you surely have to make sure you have a good graphic card (I am a nvidia person myself), a recent CPU and at least 2 GB RAM (if you take more, good....but make sure you have a 64bit OS).

Well, lets summarize:
Go ahead if you are interested in builting your own computer, but prepare for some draw backs, frustrating moments and a looooot to read and check about before starting. It is a hobby which can be fun, but for sure is time and money consuming (especially if something goes wrong).
I personally dont see the reason anymore, because all the time you need to check your compontens makes you learn a lot alraedy and there are quite some pre-built PCs out there worth considering (even for gaming) for a reasonable amount of money.

Good luck
scouty

Archived Post 01-13-2010 04:26 AM

Yeah, im a grad student and working , and I've been meaning to upgrade for awhile ,but I figured I should try to do it smart.

Everything I've seen has been insanely complicated,and since it might take me over a year to put together enough spare cash to try again ,I think im just going to buy one of those 1000 dollar models at Best Buy or something. Thanks for the help though.

Archived Post 01-13-2010 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anatoly
Yeah, im a grad student and working , and I've been meaning to upgrade for awhile ,but I figured I should try to do it smart.

Everything I've seen has been insanely complicated,and since it might take me over a year to put together enough spare cash to try again ,I think im just going to buy one of those 1000 dollar models at Best Buy or something. Thanks for the help though.

Try www.newegg.com for components. Well respected.

Building your own fast games PC is so easy now. But just like anything, use your common sense.

Started me off into IT and ended up as a qualified network engineer!!

Allows you to upgrade your PC over time when you want at the price you want. Helps you fix problems.

Common sense, research and planning and you can build a kick-ass PC for a fraction of the price.

At the end of the day, the pride of using your creation is good too.

And it is not rocket science!!

Archived Post 01-13-2010 05:16 AM

All you need is

A Chassis
Power Supply (if having 1 gfx card id recommend 600 watts minimal)
DVD Writer (optional)
Mainboard (to save money buy one with a built in 5.1 or 7.1 sound card)
CPU (The socket number is important - it has to match the mainboard)
RAM (Check mainboard to see if it takes DDR2/DDR3 and buy matching type)
Hard Disk
Windows Software
Lastly a decent GFX Card, the ATI 4870 is cheap now and a decent card.

....just pricing up my rig below.....comes to around $2200

Archived Post 01-13-2010 05:23 AM

I know you're based in the US but I'd recommend having a look at forums at www.overclockers.co.uk

Plenty of info on how to build a gaming rig and discussions on various components.

Archived Post 01-13-2010 05:25 AM

www.NewEgg.com is the best prices I've found.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227200

Take a look at that rig. I'd love this computer. You can modify it a bit, or call customer support. Tell them your price range, they'll build you a rig. It always sucks checking hardware compatibility and such. let me know how you make out. My brother ordered here and his system never has any issues at all (other than the occasional windows 7 hickup).

Shoto

Dell computers aren't bad either. "Dude, I got a Dell".