Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Art of Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=216)
-   -   3D printing your characters/bridge crew also your Starships too..is it possible? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=593671)

emilywasson 03-24-2013 04:40 PM

3D printing your characters/bridge crew also your Starships too..is it possible?

Heya Dev's and eveyone.

I wonder if it?s possible that you could download your characters, your bridge crew plus your Starships that you detailly customised and Print them out on a 3D printer on what scale you desire to have them in. also when doing screenshot could there be another command hotkey where it remembers the positions of your characters movement in 3D Screenshot then later you could 3D print it.

But it?s going to be awesome if cryptic does it first, with 3D printer companies.

It make?s playing online even more immensely enjoyable.

regards

Emily Wasson

cmdrskyfaller 03-24-2013 05:11 PM

problem: patent/copyright violation.

Printing them at home means you're not paying royalties to whoever owns the trek franchise.

But I guess that by the time the 3D printing really gets going there's going to be plenty of templates available anyway so no need to worry.

There's already a program that converts 2D images into 3D models of it. So you could probably just screenshot your game, convert it and print it.

tuskin67 03-24-2013 09:07 PM

I doubt they'd sue you if you printed them at home. As long as you're not selling them you should be fine.

Printing the model would be no different from printing a 2D picture.

sumghai 03-25-2013 02:22 AM

By itself, 3D printed models of player ships and toons are a great idea - it was suggested in a past Ask Cryptic that tangible goods could be available from the C-store in the future.

A possible workflow could be:
  • Player chooses asset(s) to be 3D printed (e.g. ship, Captain with pose, BOff with pose)

• Player pays for 3D printing service via C-store

• Game software packages the model(s) into Stereolithography (STL) files or whatever format 3D printing companies use

• Files are sent to companies such as Shapeways for production.

• Shapeways directly mails printed models to player.

Profits will be split between CBS (IP holder), PWE (for offering the service) and Shapeways (actual production).

Obviously issues such as surface finish, durability and support materials would need to be considered - but that's how I see it could possibly be realised.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller (Post 8790231)
Printing them at home means you're not paying royalties to whoever owns the trek franchise.

But I guess that by the time the 3D printing really gets going there's going to be plenty of templates available anyway so no need to worry.

There's already a program that converts 2D images into 3D models of it. So you could probably just screenshot your game, convert it and print it.

3D printers aren't commonplace enough for most people to models print at home. Yes, there are hobbyist models like MakerBot and RepRap, but for most users it takes months of tweaking to properly setup/calibrate/maintain what are essentially temperamental beasts.

Also, I believe the OP was thinking along the lines of figurines rather than flat bas relief patterns - even with the software you speak of, users are still going have difficulty converting colored screenshots into useable bump maps.

idrona 03-25-2013 02:31 AM

Was gonna post some youtube clips, but then I found this site that seems to know it all.

http://www.3ders.org/3d-printing-basics.html

This is another thing that I think Cryptic/PWE should act on asap. :)

emilywasson 03-25-2013 03:11 PM

Liking Sumghai idea, it helps to keep the legal side down, where the profits, goes to Cryptic and CBS for offering the service to 3D print them to any scale and maybe paint them realisitcaly as part of the service as form of art. also that should provide to give extra income to provide more content to sto, and other MMO's that Cryptic has.

Hope that they consider this it'll provide them with a unqiue game store, that no MMO studios have.

maxvitor 03-25-2013 04:45 PM

Cryptic/PWE could make money from selling collectibles, but giving or even selling downloadable game assets would end up being a dead loss for them. There are way too many shady operators out there that would jump at the chance to get the designs to make bootleg copies, killing Cryptics/PWEs profits in lost revenue and legal fees.

emilywasson 03-25-2013 09:46 PM

unless it's done in house, setting up a production studio, where Cryptic/ PWE get to control, the processes, from order to delivery.

bberge1701 03-26-2013 11:07 AM

FigurePrints

There is a company called FigurePrints that does exactly this for WoW and Minecraft. I have no idea what level of effort would be required to get the player data to FigurePrints in an appropriate format, but I would think it's certainly possible.

It would probably be easier to manufacture captains and bridge crews than ships. I can foresee issues with strange ship geometries resulting in very fragile pieces.

sumghai 03-26-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bberge1701 (Post 8822191)
There is a company called FigurePrints that does exactly this for WoW and Minecraft. I have no idea what level of effort would be required to get the player data to FigurePrints in an appropriate format, but I would think it's certainly possible.

I just went to have a look - very interesting indeed! I presume FP would have had permission from both Blizzard and Mojang in order to use their game assets/

Quote:

Originally Posted by bberge1701 (Post 8822191)
It would probably be easier to manufacture captains and bridge crews than ships. I can foresee issues with strange ship geometries resulting in very fragile pieces.

You're most likely correct - certain ship classes with very thin pylons or Borg modifications enabled come to mind.