Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Are Aux cannons working as intended? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=597551)

darramouss1 03-28-2013 07:01 AM

Are Aux cannons working as intended?

As per my understanding, aux cannons feed off auxiliary power. Why is it that my aux cannons go off-line when EITHER my weapons or auxiliary subsystems are knocked off-line?

Cryptic, I'm seriously hoping that this is a bug. No item should be dependent on two subsystems, especially not an item that is paid for like the Vesta.

Anyone else have this issue?

EDIT: Ticket submitted in the stead that this is a bug, but what do tickets do? Not much in my experience.

kimmym 03-28-2013 07:15 AM

It is working as intended, in fact the game was patched to add it.

Knocking weapons offline takes out aux cannons as well, so that you don't get around skills like TSS:W.

IMO Aux cannons aren't that great anyway, so who cares.

smokeybacon90 03-28-2013 07:33 AM

Put points into subsystem repair, and run as many human boffs as possible. System downtime will only be a few seconds. Engineering team will also remedy this. It is hardly a huge drawback, as a focused science build can now concentrate solely on Aux power without worrying about a drop in damage.

darramouss1 03-28-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimmym (Post 8857401)
It is working as intended, in fact the game was patched to add it.

Knocking weapons offline takes out aux cannons as well, so that you don't get around skills like TSS:W.

IMO Aux cannons aren't that great anyway, so who cares.

They should not be tied to two subsystems. You say that they would get around TSS:W but they fall victim to TSS:Aux. Let's face it, Aux is the skill that a sci dreads losing, so taking the Vesta's weapons off line for losing weapons really blows.

Who cares? I'd say people like me who use the Vesta with aux cannons with max aux power and no weapons power.

darkjeff 03-28-2013 08:19 AM

I thought they patched it so that Aux cannons are only disabled when Aux is disabled. Did they unpatch it recently or something?

kimmym 03-28-2013 08:20 AM

Well, the devs say you are wrong, as they used to work they way you say and they purposely changed it to work how it does now.

It is how it works, and if you are using aux cannons that is a situation you have to deal with.

I don't use the aux cannons on my Vesta. There is a reason. You're half way there already.

Next you will notice that as you fire with your aux cannons, your aux goes up and down, so your sci abilities lose consistancy.

Then you realize that you still need weapon power anyway, or else your turrets and such are gimp. So you are still trying to maximize both power systems like any other non torp sci. You realize you aren't really gaining anything, just shifting the burden around.

Then you realize that there are better phaser cannons, and so for all the hassle you were dealing with to break even, you are then behind because the weapon itself is inferior.

Yeah... I could be arsed what happens to aux cannons, I replaced that starter gear ages ago.

Edit: I don't know if maybe they made a new patch to the old patch that I missed, but no, the last time I was aware they patched the cannons from being aux only. Originally you could fire them under the effects of target sub systems or one of those tholian torps or what have you. They nerfed that right quick because of course you then just load an aux and a normal cannon and your weapons never go down... which is the behavior the OP wishes they had. It was nerfed for being herp derp overpowered.

chuckingram 03-28-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darramouss1 (Post 8857751)
Who cares? I'd say people like me who use the Vesta with aux cannons with max aux power and no weapons power.

Agreed, Darr. I didn't buy the Vesta pack to have an important feature like this get stealth nerfed.

As to the woefully ignorant question ?Who cares?? I have two suggestions:

1. Learn to stay away from topics that aren?t of concern. Not everyone is itching to read your every thought.

2. Respect the fact that MY error today may be YOUR error tomorrow. I?m SURE that if the shoe was on the other foot, kimmym wouldn?t want me trying to show how ?cool? I am by spitting on his thread.

doffingcomrade 03-28-2013 08:29 AM

Wasn't really stealth. Was in patch notes ages back.

Aux cannons will go offline if the Weapons system goes offline, but NOT if the weapons system simply loses all power. Aux cannons will also go offline if Aux goes offline.

kimmym 03-28-2013 08:30 AM

Spit on his thread, or show the proper lack of empathy? I was trying to be comforting believe it or not, trying to show that this concern was not a big deal in the scheme of things.

If your skin is really that thin, I can't help you, sorry. I swear some people get offended at oxygen these days...

Edit: Oh yeah, well yeah you don't need weapon power, but like I said, if you knock weapons offline out go your aux cannons too. Working as intended because elsewise you never lose weapons in a vesta, and that is stupid over powered.

Aux cannons are not meant to be end game gear. At least not running 3 of them. They have stated time and time again that they want you to have incentive to get gear after you get a ship, which is why things like the andorian phasers in the dil store got nerfed. They want you to have to progress to endgame weaponry, and c-store weapons are meant to get you started or for gimmick effects.

Aux cannons are starter gear, and then best used when mixed with regular cannons when you are fighting a weapon drain but not disable enemy... so yeah... working as designed.

chuckingram 03-28-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimmym (Post 8858321)
I was trying to be comforting believe it or not, trying to show that this concern was not a big deal in the scheme of things.

Whether it's a "big deal" or not is a matter of opinion. If you had a fully formed ego you'd know this. At any rate, the situation is worthy of the feedback forum, hence this correctly positioned thread. I'd very much like to hear from CRYPTIC as to why this listed feature was altered.