Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Please don't increase the rank cap (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=600271)

captainhunter1 03-29-2013 02:44 PM

Please don't increase the rank cap

From todays posted Q&A:

Q: (akpa) Previously you?ve mentioned upcoming level cap increases to Fleet Admiral Rank, yet we don?t see anything about that in the Legacy of Romulus revealed. Is there any chance we?ll see it in May?

Dstahl: Our plan to increase ranks up to Fleet Admiral will take place in one of the Seasonal updates after the Legacy of Romulus release

A level increase would be great - however, please, PLEASE, don't tie it to a rank increase. The galaxy is overflowing with flag officers as it is.

Please consider taking this opportunity to return focus to the true Star Trek hero rank of Captain as presented here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=541391

With it, we would never have a level cap in STO - and I think that's something everyone would like. :)

(and yes, the 'address us by title' is a step toward fixing the problem, but it's like putting a bandage on a deep wound that really requires surgery :D)

eraserfish 03-29-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainhunter1 (Post 8896041)
From todays posted Q&A:

Q: (akpa) Previously you?ve mentioned upcoming level cap increases to Fleet Admiral Rank, yet we don?t see anything about that in the Legacy of Romulus revealed. Is there any chance we?ll see it in May?

Dstahl: Our plan to increase ranks up to Fleet Admiral will take place in one of the Seasonal updates after the Legacy of Romulus release

A level increase would be great - however, please, PLEASE, don't tie it to a rank increase. The galaxy is overflowing with flag officers as it is.

Please consider taking this opportunity to return focus to the true Star Trek hero rank of Captain as presented here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=541391

With it, we would never have a level cap in STO - and I think that's something everyone would like. :)

(and yes, the 'address us by title' is a step toward fixing the problem, but it's like putting a bandage on a deep wound that really requires surgery :D)

Mmmhmm.

Both the Federation and the Klingon Empire look like those South American or African military dictatorships that have more colonels than corporals.

In spite of choosing the title of Commander, I still get called Admiral or some such. So annoying.

snoggymack22 03-29-2013 03:59 PM

The Ask Cryptic also states that they're laying the groundwork for allowing your title to be what's used. Stahl said they're shortening all those long titles to JUST Admiral. And are working on having it so that if you set it to Captain or Commander or whatever, it'll use that text instead.

So there could be a silver lining here. If they follow through on this idea, it can end up being that yeah, you might attain level 60, but can still just be called Captain.

voyagerfan9751 03-29-2013 04:07 PM

I love how everyone always jumps on the "Don't raise the Level cap" whenever there is any kind of update on the game.

The level or rank cap is not going up any time soon. We are talking 3-4 months from MAY at the earliest. And even that I would suspect is being generious. It is still way too soon to start complaining about it now.

newplayerguy7 03-29-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 (Post 8899511)
I love how everyone always jumps on the "Don't raise the Level cap" whenever there is any kind of update on the game.

The level or rank cap is not going up any time soon. We are talking 3-4 months from MAY at the earliest. And even that I would suspect is being generious. It is still way too soon to start complaining about it now.

How long does it take to get an idea from initial 'brainstorming' sessions to 'live in game'?

About 3-4 months....

I agree with the OP - nip this RANK increase in the bud before they are completely commited to having to release it.

A LEVEL increase would be fun though! (Rank and Level should be two separate things)

sharyssa 03-29-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 (Post 8899511)
It is still way too soon to start complaining about it now.

This is the forums...its never too soon to complain! :D

oldkirkfan 03-29-2013 07:49 PM

How about we make the new rank, not a promotion, but a demotion.

In the spirit of James T. Kirk. Busted back to Captain (for those who want it). Captain Rank II can use all VA gear as we do now, but, "it is the judgment of this council that you be reduced in rank to captain. And that as a consequence of your new rank, you be given the duties for which you have demonstrated unswerving ability, the command of a starship".

doffingcomrade 03-29-2013 07:51 PM

The real question is: What purpose does increasing the level cap serve other than to invalidate existing content? Levels are very much unimportant to this game, and 50 is already a nice round number.

eraserfish 03-29-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doffingcomrade (Post 8909111)
The real question is: What purpose does increasing the level cap serve other than to invalidate existing content? Levels are very much unimportant to this game, and 50 is already a nice round number.

To invalidate existing content.

I don't know about you, but personally I look forward to maxing out my Inertial Dampeners and Power Insulators stat so that I never ever have to worry about science abilities again...

truewarper 03-29-2013 08:21 PM

Some lower abilities in my Tact venue needs to go up...:D