Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   Game Freezes, PC Freezes high pitch sound. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=60196)

Archived Post 01-13-2010 02:48 PM

Game Freezes, PC Freezes high pitch sound.

Specs:

Video: ATI 4850 HD
Chip: AMD Phenom 9950
Mobo: Asus M378A
Sound: Creative X-Fi ExtremeGamer

All temps below 42c

What could it be? I have even updated the bios.

All I can think of is the internet lag in the game, is trying to destroy my PC.

Archived Post 01-13-2010 03:08 PM

is the high piched sound coming out of the speekers or the case of the somputer if its the case recreate the issue open it up and find out which compante it is it sounds like anything with a fan is worth a look but would need more info for better solution.

Archived Post 01-13-2010 03:32 PM

Tbh I'd be happy with a high pitch sound as long as STO stopped freezing my system randomly on ground environments. When my system freezes I tend to either get the last two seconds of audio repeat like a bad record, or cut out entirely.

Archived Post 01-13-2010 04:55 PM

def coming from speakers, my system is well maintaned, nothing like that would happen with out me knowing about it. I checked all fans to make sure (even though the computer wont start if CPU fan isnt working, and Video card wont stop screaming if the fan is off.

Its definately something to do with this game, I never had this issue, and I play Crysis and WaW alot.

Archived Post 01-13-2010 06:19 PM

if thats the case then yes i agree with you it a game issue try updating the sound card drivers just for the hec of it...maybe you might get lucky and it will fix the problem lol though its never just that easy lol

Archived Post 01-13-2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K4HLESS
Specs:

Video: ATI 4850 HD
Chip: AMD Phenom 9950
Mobo: Asus M378A
Sound: Creative X-Fi ExtremeGamer

All temps below 42c

What could it be? I have even updated the bios.

All I can think of is the internet lag in the game, is trying to destroy my PC.

I have very similar spec to yours

Videos: Ati 4850
Chip: Phenom 9950
Mobo: Foxconn AS79-s
Sound: Onboard Realtech

I'm not getting a high pitched sound but i do CTD randomly. Sometimes its a crash that will prompt a cryptic error message so i can report what i was doing. Other times its a hard crash with the windows saying gameclient.exe has stopped working.

Archived Post 01-13-2010 09:21 PM

same issue

i have different stuff in my computer and i keep crashing or freezing up my computer as well...i have ensured all my drivers are up to date and i even tried numerous stuff like turning down the graphics in game a little to see if it helps but nothing...i can get in game for like 5-10mins then the game either crashes or freezes up my computer. here are my specs for the dxdiag...hope someone can help me out here...i have never had any problems before with other online games...

OS is Windows Vista (ya i know it sucks) Service pack 2
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

any ideas folks i looked at the requirements of the game before purchasing it and saw that i should be good, am i missing something here??? please help me out.

Archived Post 01-14-2010 10:52 AM

i think i fixed it!

I think i fixed it, been playing 2 hours with no issue, way farther then i went before. I had onboard sound "NOT DISABLED". So i went to Device manager, disabled the onboard sound. (I recently upgraded to a SB-X-Fi so i dont need the onboard sound). I was under the impression that i had already disabled it through bios. but i recently did a bios update and that made it reset, and come back on.