Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Elite STF?s, PUGS and you (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=608391)

hokeb1 04-04-2013 12:38 PM

Elite STF?s, PUGS and you

Hi All,

I have a possible solution to the issues regarding new players jumping into Elite STF?s in PUG?s without the experience and knowledge required to successfully complete the optional or the STF as a whole.

Accolades.

As we have one for the M.A.C.O. Starfleet Silver Star, a similar accolade can be set up for EACH normal STF. Example's below.

Accolades: Infected: The Conduit
Complete (25 or 50) and must be successful in optional to get credit.
Infected: Manus
Complete (25 or 50) and must be successful in optional to get credit.

Etc....

The end result would be a final accolade that could read something like??
Congratulations! You have completed the basic STF requirements and can join the Elite Difficulty teams.

Could also be a title?.

STF elite, STF graduate?..etc

This COULD also be ONLY for public queues, meaning that private queues have NO restrictions. This Would ENSURE that people that have already been playing Elite STFs (i.e. Fleets, close friends.etc) won't be subjected to the limitations and have to run the normal STF?s if they choose not to.

The Public Elite queues will benefit from this because they know going in that everyone on the team knows how to run the STF.

I do however think that a KICK vote should be applied for the remaining mischief makers that squeeze through the process.(ie..trolls, rude people, AFKers?.etc)

Any thoughts?

resumod 04-04-2013 02:07 PM

And you realy think that you learn how to do elite in normal?
When did you do the last normal sft.

And Accolades are for a Char, not an Account.
So, you build up a new Toon, you know how to do elite, you have the gear for elite and you want to rank up in Omega fast - but you have to do 25 normals? Yeha, great idea.

And you want to force the players to play normal ground and space sfts in a random group that is realy not making the opt because all players that know how it works are in elite.
You want them to reach opt 25 times even if the opt in elite is reached maybe in 50% off all games with a random group (and even that is high).
And you want to force them to do ground. Realy, I did all ground SFTs maybe one or 2 times on normal and never on elite. Why? Because I preffer spacefights in this game.

But for every new toon (or even on my account) 25 of each normal WITH opt to open elite? What a great idea.

You know what? I'm ok when the opt on elite is not working. Sometimes it is because one litte mistake, sometimes because the build is not finished, sometimes the gear is not XII purple and sometimes you miss simply dmg. And the last thing can even happen with the best elite players around. You just need to throw a buch of tankcruisers and scihealers together. No one will die (exept to invisible instandgib) but I don't think they would make it in time.

What we would need is a SP SFT as a part of the storyline with scripted fights where you run the sft with scripted NPCs against scripted NPCs. Why scripted? Because that would be the only way to show you all the roles you can have. And if you que up the first time for any sft, you will run the SP-Version (with the possibility to run it again if you want). Or as an Mission from the woman from omega (you allready get called from her, so why not).

If you want to reach opt every time. Ask your fleetmates, friends or in one of the Elitechannels to form up a team.

But I am for one thing. Kickvote.
Maybe not for bad players. But for a good reason all have to send to a gm (so kicking someone just because he is new and not that good won't be ok).
This way we could get rid of players that "lag" (according to them...) or looters and lottbotters. Someone is not moving for the whole sft? Kickvote short before we win ;). Or near the start to get an other player from the cue.

lirdek 04-04-2013 02:10 PM

An easier and more convenient solution is that you subscribe to some of the countless stfs channels and keep pugs for what they are : pugs.

elite stf
publicelitestf

etc

skhc 04-04-2013 03:25 PM

Oh look, it's this thread again.

Completion Accolades are just completion. They're not representative of skill, knowledge or ability at all. You could be carried, be lucky or just plain out persistent enough to grind out enough successes in a sea of failures, all the time not learning any of the tactics needed for Elites.

And as Resumod said, Normals aren't really sufficient to teach Elites. Although, to be honest, with the power creep over the last few months, Space Elites are at the stage where teams with enough Fleet, Omega & Romulan unlocks can carelessly zerg through them and get away with it through sheer DPS overkill. So Space Normals are perfect for teaching that.

You don't want to deal with the morons in PuGs, then don't PuG.

dabaddaba 04-05-2013 04:19 AM

Give the ability to actually fire and destroy to team mates that are fooling around and blowing up things they shouldn't (only half joking here). I'd rather play with short of one man than with an epic noob. I understand some players may be new to estfs but they should at least read the chat!

Sorry but I've just had a bad time in Space cure elite because of a guy not reading the chat..

fraghul2000 04-05-2013 05:09 AM

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Bad idea.

For one tactics used in nSTFs are sure ways to fail in eSTFs, while using elite tactics in normal STFs either won't work or will prolong the encounter unnecessarily. In CSN for example you destroy one spacedock, then move on to the next and kill BoPs/Raptors/Neghvars on the drive-by. You do this in elite and you can be sure you'll fail the optional.

Second reason not to do this would be that you'd punish people who level alts. If I have a level 50 Tac captain with a couple of hundred successful eSTFs, I wouldn't want to force myself through 150 ineffective normal STFs before I can play elites. I want to hit 50, spend 250 million EC on endgame gear and hit elites right away. Public elite queues would also suffer badly.

The third reason against it would be that elite PUGs are far from the horror scenarios that some people on these forum turn them into. In the hundreds of STFs and eSTFs I've run so far, only a relatively small number failed the optional and I've only seen 2-3 fail completely, most of the fails having to do with afk-leechers rather than screw-ups. It's even gotten better in the past few months, as better ships and equipment enable people to correct mistakes the group makes more easily.