Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Gameplay Bug Reports (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Beam Fire at Will power drain is completely broken (Dev post page 4, fix incoming) (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=608681)

graleron 04-03-2013 10:29 AM

Beam Fire at Will power drain is completely broken (Dev post page 4, fix incoming)

I posted about it in the April 2nd patch notes thread, but realised that this is probably a better place to report it.

At the moment on Tribble I'm seeing much greater power drain from Beam Fire At Will than I do on Holodeck, to the point that at the end of the ten second cycle, I'm seeing my weapon power go down to the 30s from a starting point that is substantially over 125.

It seems to be worse when there are more targets around.

Is this intended behaviour?

Scenario:

Ship: Odyssey Tac Cruiser
Fore Weapons: Romulan rep experimental beam, Fleet advanced Antiproton beam arrays x3
Aft Weapons: Kinetic Cutting Beam, Fleet advanced Antiproton beam arrays x3
Normal weapon power: 109 before buffs and procs
EPS skill: 121 (power transfer rate 11.8/sec)
Scenario happens with buffs: EPTW1, or with EPTW1 and EPS Transfer III; Nadion Inversion does keep weapon power levels at a reasonable level
Tested with: Beam Fire at Will II

cryptkeeper0 04-03-2013 10:35 AM

I noticed this as well on my operation oddy

sohtoh 04-04-2013 06:26 AM

I have seen this as well. I used FAW-II with my Fleet Assault Cruiser.

Devil's Advocate: It could be possible that the drain is exactly the same as on Holodeck and its just the new UI on Tribble that enables us to view it properly.

ferdzso0 04-04-2013 06:34 AM

it might be that they fixed the experimental beam to drain power during FAW. because on holodeck the experimental beam does not drain weapon power when fired without a buff, nor if it is used with FAW. however with beam overload it does deal dmg. so they might have just fixed that bug

sohtoh 04-04-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferdzso0 (Post 9023941)
it might be that they fixed the experimental beam to drain power during FAW. because on holodeck the experimental beam does not drain weapon power when fired without a buff, nor if it is used with FAW. however with beam overload it does deal dmg. so they might have just fixed that bug

I wasn't using the Experimental Beam Array, was using my Spiral Wave Disruptors. On Holodeck, while using FAW-II and Spiral Wave Disruptors, my Weapons Power display would go down to the 60s; on Tribble, it goes down to the 30s.

rsrobinson 04-04-2013 02:54 PM

Beam Fire at Will power drain is completely broken

The drain is now insane. My cruiser builds with good power management usually see power almost always in the green, sometimes barely dropping below 100. Today, power drops nearly to the bottom of the bar.

If I had to make a guess, your so-called 'fix' now causes the beam to drain on every shot that goes off. In other words, it fires at two targets, it is draining power twice.

As it stands, the ability is unusable.

marc8219 04-04-2013 02:57 PM

Thanks for the warning, I was going to set up a FAW beam cruiser today because of the suppposed "fix" to FAW, but now I guess I will hold off.

Just when I had my hopes up something like this had to happen:mad:

vesolc 04-04-2013 03:05 PM

Yep they are officially incompetent.

ursusmorologus 04-04-2013 03:34 PM

I have been playing with it on my beam boats and I suspect its working as intended. With the fix in place, we are making true shots on each target (we're getting damage bonuses and [Acc] bonuses on each target now), but we are also paying for the true shots with energy per shot as expected.

It didnt take much effort to adapt, just tweak the way you manage your firing sphere

antrenos 04-04-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsrobinson (Post 9045201)
The drain is now insane. My cruiser builds with good power management usually see power almost always in the green, sometimes barely dropping below 100. Today, power drops nearly to the bottom of the bar.

If I had to make a guess, your so-called 'fix' now causes the beam to drain on every shot that goes off. In other words, it fires at two targets, it is draining power twice.

As it stands, the ability is unusable.

Previously, Fire-at-Will drained very little (if any) power. If you hit Beam Overload, it drains a massive chunk of power, for a single (albeit more powerful) beam. Why shouldn't firing multiple beams in rapid succession, drain power?