Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Is Tachyon Beam usefull in PvP? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=615851)

born2bwild1 04-10-2013 05:40 PM

Is Tachyon Beam usefull in PvP?
 
right now I have 134 skills is flow capacitor and 124 power in Aux on my B'rel sci build torp boat.

I was thinking of replacing photonic officer 2 with Tach beam or energy siphon?

worth it or not?

Thanks.

maicake716 04-10-2013 07:47 PM

as a guy who has a specialized shield draining vesta i can tell you this.


NO.


it is not worth it.

enjoy your science :)

antoniosalieri 04-10-2013 08:26 PM

Don't listen to Mai... yes its worth it.

A few Things.

1) combo it with CPB.
2) some people will be more resistant then others... but this is true of every skill. Honestly you will be suprized how often people DONT have 9 points in insulators. Even if they do you still do good dmg with it... despite what some claim. Your not going to drop some sci ship wth 15k per facing down to zero... but don't expect to. Choose your targets wisely... only pick on those guys when your strips will relieve them of the last 10-20% they have. :)
3) If you have doff room.... look at the Tachyon doff. Its not popular. however it is effective it does kill turn... as a test I ran 3 one night and the effect was pretty funny.

Bottom line test it out for yourself.... it costs you nothing to test it out for awhile and make your own mind up. :)

dontdrunkimshoot 04-10-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antoniosalieri (Post 9161271)
Don't listen to Mai... yes its worth it.

lol, what does mai know about shield stripper builds right :rolleyes:

illcadia 04-10-2013 10:12 PM

It's also very useful if you combo it with the doffs that reduce turn rate. While an escort can just race out of range, it's a very unpleasant surprise when they're trying to maneuver, or that Bortas is trying to line up a shot.

antoniosalieri 04-10-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot (Post 9161931)
lol, what does mai know about shield stripper builds right :rolleyes:

Not much I guess. :)

What does he know about the B'rel ? 100% completely nothing... ask him what his klink toons name is. ;)

Seriously he was going on about how shocked he was about how many people didn't have heavy insulator spend around 2 months ago....

I guess something changed since then ?

hurleybird 04-10-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antoniosalieri (Post 9162651)
I guess something changed since then ?

People stopped running shield stripper builds so people put less points into power insulators. If heavy shield stripper builds became popular again then you'd see more points being put into insulators until shield stripping became irrelevant.

antoniosalieri 04-11-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hurleybird (Post 9163381)
People stopped running shield stripper builds so people put less points into power insulators. If heavy shield stripper builds became popular again then you'd see more points being put into insulators until shield stripping became irrelevant.

You over estimate the value of PI.

Is it worth trading CPB and Tac beam out for real useful Sci Debuffs in a premade... no but frankly with exception of when it was completely op stripping was always bad team play. Yes stripping with no resists was op... its why teams like FS ran nothing but sci ships.

This op wasn't asking about premades though... or he wouldn't be in a brel. ;)

As far as roaming kerrat or the pug FvKs that pop... Stripping even if your target has 9 points in works believe it or not. If you are packing enough punch on the torps... you don't need a full strip.

As long as you can get someone to around 10-20% shielding... you can punch through with double HYs.

Everyone like MAI that says stripping is dead... is completely coming at it from the Fed Premade angle imo. Seeing as Mai doesn't even have a klink toon (unless something changed there to)... I would say he really doesn't have any clue no.

hurleybird 04-11-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antoniosalieri (Post 9163761)
You over estimate the value of PI.

I don't think I do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by antoniosalieri (Post 9163761)
This op wasn't asking about premades though... or he wouldn't be in a brel. ;)

Shhh... don't let MT hear you say that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by antoniosalieri (Post 9163761)
As far as roaming kerrat or the pug FvKs that pop... Stripping even if your target has 9 points in works believe it or not. If you are packing enough punch on the torps... you don't need a full strip.

All that I technically need to do against Kerrat players or random pugs is roll my face across the keyboard really fast. Why should I base anything off of them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by antoniosalieri (Post 9163761)
Everyone like MAI that says stripping is dead... is completely coming at it from the Fed Premade angle imo. Seeing as Mai doesn't even have a klink toon (unless something changed there to)... I would say he really doesn't have any clue no.

I would say the he does have a clue, that outside of cheese dependent teams there usually isn't that much difference between fed and klingon premades, and there are better ways to deliver an alpha strike in a BoP anyway.

antoniosalieri 04-11-2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hurleybird (Post 9163871)
All that I technically need to do against Kerrat players or random pugs is roll my face across the keyboard really fast. Why should I base anything off of them?

You should pop in once in awhile... your right most nights the level of skill isn't high. That's not always the case though. Lots of good battles there over the last 3 years... your missing out.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:21 AM.