Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Block Egpal in-game mail. (Please report as Spam, and file a GM ticket) (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=619761)

kiarasena 04-14-2013 05:42 AM

Block Egpal in-game mail. (Please report as Spam, and file a GM ticket)

Hello all.

Some or rather alot of you have noticed, that there are spambots, fail morons, etc going around and sending people in-game mail for egpal.. You can notice in many games that they are either bad in english, or simply a spambot by the fail grammar, half of the words start with capital while they shouldn't, and half doesn't, etc..

Quote from a preview site:
"Egpal.com is started by the small group connected with active MMO players based with Kowloon, Hong Kong HK."

Why am I not surprised about the "Hong Kong" part..? Oh right.. because alot of hackers, etc come from there.. I mean on private servers, retail games, alot of fly, damage, wall, etc hackers are from china or such countries..
So I guess it's only fitting that they add scams to their list.. And yes there are alot of normal players but most hackers and such do come from those areas.

As a fellow player I suggest to add whoever mails you to your ignore list, make a screenshot or such and report it.
DO NOT buy from them, if you search on google and such you will find that people have been scammed, etc..
Egpal is a scam and a fraud, many have bought and they did not recieve exp, lvls, credits, etc.
Stick to the STO/PWE market itself, use PayPal or such but do not buy from random sites, only the original.

I would like to suggest to Cryptic to make some automated system to prevent in-game mail to be sent with specific words/links etc in it.
www. Egpal .com (did space or it will give a url)
"egpal2013"

(Might edit it over time with more stuff as I will probably get more stupid in-game mail from those scammers.)

Some quote(s) from people who replied to some reviews about egpal:

"This site charges real life currency for fraudulent digital goods. Will they wipe your accounts clean, charge up your credit card and promise to deliver your ordered goods "someday"? Probably. They are based in foreign country and you have virtually no recourse against them if they do steal from you, and you are supporting them in the process. This group of online fraudsters illegally use software to spam advertise their site in game, always making a new character when one gets banned. This degrades the quality of the game for people trying to play by making communication in game hard to impossible. Please do not support this site."

chandlerashari 04-14-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiarasena (Post 9216101)
Why am I not surprised about the "Hong Kong" part..? Oh right.. because alot of hackers, etc come from there.. I mean on private servers, retail games, alot of fly, damage, wall, etc hackers are from china or such countries..
So I guess it's only fitting that they add scams to their list..

whoa way off base there buddy. I know a lot of HK based players who are just like you and me: players.

Don't make this a racial/country bias thing.

Agree with the rest of the post.

------------------------------------------

edit: This thread might qualify as a naming and shaming post actually despite the best of intentions :/

tatyanasergei 04-14-2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chandlerashari (Post 9216261)

edit: This thread might qualify as a naming and shaming post actually despite the best of intentions :/

Nope. She named no specific players or accounts, only what site was being commonly advertised.

chandlerashari 04-14-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatyanasergei (Post 9216321)
Nope. She named no specific players or accounts, only what site was being commonly advertised.

Haha ok good to know.

snoggymack22 04-14-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Hello all.

Some or alot of you have noticed, there are spambots, fail morons, etc going around and sending people in-game mail for egpal.. you can notice they are either bad in english, or simply a spambot by the fail grammar, half of the words start with capital while they shouldn't, and half doesn't, etc.."

The grammar in the above quote is really bad. You should probably clean it up before accusing others of bad grammar.

dalolorn 04-14-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoggymack22 (Post 9217131)
The grammar in the above quote is really bad. You should probably clean it up before accusing others of bad grammar.

Touche. :P

On a more serious note, it's pretty simple to recognize such mails and, you know, put them on your ignore list, report them, and the like. If somebody's stupid enough to fall for that, then they deserve to lose whatever they're going to lose.

Edit: Okay, this is awkward. Apparently you can spell it properly in the text editor, but when you actually try to post it, it converts into "?". Oh well.

pwebranflakes 04-14-2013 08:29 AM

If you get mail like this, please click the "report spam" button on the email, and please file a GM behavior ticket via the [?] on the minimap, including the @handle of who sent it, so we can investigate and take appropriate action.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

dalolorn 04-14-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwebranflakes (Post 9217481)
If you get mail like this, please click the "report spam" button on the email, and please file a GM behavior ticket via the [?] on the minimap, including the @handle of who sent it, so we can investigate and take appropriate action.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

The quote below makes me think "investigate and take appropriate action" won't make a difference, though.

Quote:

This group of online fraudsters illegally use software to spam advertise their site in game, always making a new character when one gets banned.

Still, I suppose you have to try. :P

m4tth3wk4n3 04-14-2013 09:42 AM

I have received some ingame mails to entice me to buy STO Energy Credits and sell them or some shizzle...

I instinctivly thought; scamming and I searched the report spam button and at this time there are 4 to 5 peeps that are on my ignore list, along with some random obnoxiously annoying people...

Unfortunatly this is not new to startrek online, or to mmo's in general.

Those ****ers (yea, I am not holding back...) should be prosecuted and put away in jail.

And yes, I would be happy to pay for them while they are doing their time (paying for them being in prison... I am not handing out money like that... screw you)

Its a matter of principle... Just because somebody is weakminded, does not mean you have to take advantage of those people. And that is exactly what those asses are doing with those scams.

Kill 'em all, the world will be better of without them.

Peace

mikepreditor 04-14-2013 08:10 PM

If an account sends more than one ingame mail with the word "egpal" in it within an hour, or to more than one person they have never communicated with before (as in 5+) stop their mail privileges for a week. Upon reinstatement of mail ability they are on final warning and even one more "egpal" in it gets their account banned with immediate effect.

The chat system is draconian WRT the "report" feature, why is the mail system so forgiving?

Redirect ALL mail with the word "egpal" in it to /dev/null with immediate effect.

Spammers and scammers are taking money that could be going into your coffers and as a lot of people are fond of pointing out, you are quite keen on making money. Why let some lamers steal it from your pockets?