Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   While in game my keyboard keys don't work (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=62558)

Archived Post 01-14-2010 04:25 PM

While in game my keyboard keys don't work

So how do i fix this problem?

Archived Post 01-18-2010 03:44 PM

Keyboard Functionality Quits during Game

I may also be having this issue. Mine quits while I am battling out in space. Where I am then required to play game entirely by mouse. The only keys that work for me is CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up the screen that leads to the task manager. Once at that screen the only thing I can do is logoff and then log back into windows. If I choose any other option my system locks-up and must be rebooted. This never happened prior to installing game and keyboard appears to work fine out of game.

Running:
Win Vista 32
Lenovo 3000 N200 Laptop with Nvidia Geforce Go 7300 Card.

Archived Post 01-22-2010 09:36 PM

Seems to be having similar problem here.

For me the problem only appears when I'm in space.
Suddenly keyboard would stop responding.

Mouse works though.
So had to just follow another player to engagement area and use the mouse to control the rest.
Basically being towed into fights, with no way of controlling my own movement.

Really odd.
If I just minimize the game, the keyboard is fine on other applications.
Going back to the game, keyboard still non-responsive.

Anyone got any idea on a fix?

Archived Post 01-22-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albarest
Seems to be having similar problem here.

For me the problem only appears when I'm in space.
Suddenly keyboard would stop responding.

Mouse works though.
So had to just follow another player to engagement area and use the mouse to control the rest.
Basically being towed into fights, with no way of controlling my own movement.

Really odd.
If I just minimize the game, the keyboard is fine on other applications.
Going back to the game, keyboard still non-responsive.

Anyone got any idea on a fix?

just something to check, do you have a joystick/gamepad/xbox360 controller plugged in, the game has some basic mappings for these (or at least the gamepads), if they are being "pressed" accidentally, and even if they aren't it could cause problems.

loath as i am to admit a mistake of my own (sadly it does happen lol), i had a "keyboard not working" problem, it turned out to be my xbox controller got knocked off my tower and the left stick was being "used" to turn right, this overroad all my keyboard controls until i realized what was happening. if you do have something like this plugged in, unplug it even if it doesn't seem to be getting used and see if the problem goes away.

Archived Post 01-22-2010 10:08 PM

Nope, no other input devices plugged in aside from keyboard and mouse.
The only other USB devices plugged are a UPS and a printer.

Note: the keyboard is a Logitech Illuminated (USB) if that makes any difference.
Driver already updated to the latest version too.

Archived Post 01-22-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Nope, no other input devices plugged in aside from keyboard and mouse.
The only other USB devices plugged are a UPS and a printer.

Note: the keyboard is a Logitech Illuminated (USB) if that makes any difference.
Driver already updated to the latest version too.

nope the illumination shouldn't have any effect, it was worth checking lol

something you might try, uninstall the logitech drivers/software and let the windows default drivers install and load, see if the problem persists, if it doesn't we know the logitech drivers are at fault, if it does persist then we know it is something else

just to give you an idea (this was years ago) logitech keyboard software would lock up windows processes and cause shutdown problems, namely you could try turning off your PC and logitech wouldn't let it, talk about an error in drivers lol.

edit: this actually applies to everyone with keyboard problems, if you are using a "special" keyboard, like a multimedia, or gaming keyboard, that normally uses special drivers for extra functionality, uninstall the keyboard drivers and let the default keyboard drivers from windows load, see if it helps.

if on the other hand you have said special keyboards but only have the default windows drivers, go get the proper drivers and try them.

if switching to the default windows drivers fix the problem PLEASE submit a new bug report explaining what keyboard and drivers you were using, and that using default drivers worked where the proper ones didn't so things can be fixed.

also post it here, mostly so those of us who want to help can stop wondering lol

Archived Post 01-22-2010 11:18 PM

No dice. uninstalled logitech setpoint made it even worse.
Just a minute into a fight, already stuck with no keyboard.

One thing though.
The keyboard is not COMPLETELY off.
Sometimes, I hear a beep noise when I press the keyboard, other times no response for a bit, then a tiny response.

I can still exit the game when I press ESC enough times to pop the menu.

BTW, where'd the bug button go?
Even since the last few patch I don't see it anywhere.

Archived Post 01-22-2010 11:19 PM

Happened to me earlier, and I did this: windowed the trek session, opened up notepad, banged on the keys 12312312312 and went back into the game, seemed to fix it.

Archived Post 01-22-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

No dice. uninstalled logitech setpoint made it even worse.
Just a minute into a fight, already stuck with no keyboard.

One thing though.
The keyboard is not COMPLETELY off.
Sometimes, I hear a beep noise when I press the keyboard, other times no response for a bit, then a tiny response.

I can still exit the game when I press ESC enough times to pop the menu.

BTW, where'd the bug button go?
Even since the last few patch I don't see it anywhere.

the bug button is under the "?" on the minimap now.

this tells us something, your problem isn't that the keyboard isn't working, it is that something is either a) taking focus away from the game (ie something popping up behind the game but not showing up) or b) the game or something is using up so many system resources that the keyboard is being "kicked" off the list of what to "listen to" often enough as to seem nonfunctional. also, did you make sure to restart the PC after you uninstalled the logitech drivers?

the problem with b) is that certain processes and devices have certain priorities, the keyboard is a VERY high priority device, pretty much the only thing that beats it out is the system clock itself for "attention" so the question is, have you checked your CPU useage? is the processor being maxed out on use, if it is running at 100% with the game that would possibly explain the lack of keyboard response, though this seems unlikely

make sure you completely disable things like your antivirus, i know after patches at least, norton pops up for me at game start, but it doesn't always actually show on screen in front of the game, i have to specificly look for it.

Archived Post 01-22-2010 11:41 PM

Already tried exiting the Anti virus before the game starts.

And, yes, I did a restart after the drivers uninstall.

I'll try it out again latter and check the processor load.
I highly doubt it though. Mine is a quad core... this game really that heavy?
My PC is good enough to handle Supreme Commander... I don't think it'd have any problem running STO.