Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=250)
-   -   New ground weapons feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=628151)

radkip 04-19-2013 01:11 PM

New ground weapons feedback

I took the time to test out the dynamics of the new weapons available from Romulan vendors/the dilthium store. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

Plasma Widebeam Rifle
- Primary fire range: 35 meters
- Secondary fire range: 35 meters
-- Exploit attack, hits up to five targets
- Thoughts: This thing is an absolute monster and I already love it. The range on it allows for a stupidly wide cone of effect, allowing you to catch an entire group of baddies in it. If they're all exposed, good night. Its primary fire damage is also very high; The Plasma Wide Beam Rifle mk XI [CrtH] [Dmg] [KB3] I picked up from the dilithium store is 13 DPS behind my Advanced Fleet Plasma Split Beam Rifle mk XII [Dmg]x3 [KB3]. I don't even want to think of what a potential fleet version of this weapon would be like.

Plasma Piercing Beam Rifle
- Primary fire range: 25 meters
-- Increasing chance (5-15%) while maintained to cause: xx.x Plasma damage per second
-- Increasing Shield Penetration (20%-80%) while maintained
-- Exploit attack
- Thoughts: This is an interesting gun. The small range on it can be kinda self-defeating, depending on where you're using this gun. Also, the secondary is particularly underwhelming from my tests. Usually by the time I got up to 60-70% shield penetration from keeping the button held down, the target's shields were gone anyways. Unless this shield penetration directly goes through the Medical Vanguard science trait, I don't see this being that great of a weapon in PvP. In PvE, there are better ways to poke through a shield's targets, that being swords.

Plasma Repeater Pistol
- Primary fire range: 25 meters
- Secondary fire range: 25 meters
-- Exploit attack
-- Continuous fire for five seconds as long as you hold the button down
- Thoughts: Also an interesting weapon. If a target becomes exposed while you're shooting them with this, they are going to take exploit damage guaranteed. There is no way a medic could react quickly enough to spot heal someone to remove the expose in that situation. When testing with a Tac superbuff (without Ambush), this thing literally ripped everything to shreds. It'll certainly be a nice toy to use.

Plasma Split Beam Pistol
- Primary fire range: 30 meters
- Secondary fire range: 30 meters
-- Expose attack
- Thoughts: I really like it. It has a much wider cone than full auto rifles do (and a longer range), opening it up as a possible use for an expose weapon. Its secondary is so quick to reload and does respectable damage, so you'll be throwing exposes out everywhere, making it seem like the superior choice compared to a full auto rifle, except in the case of the Omega Force full auto.

Plasma Charged Burst Assault
- Primary fire range: 30 meters
- Secondary fire range: 30 meters
-- 0-128 (Mk I common) plasma damage when uncharged, deals increased damage based on charge time
-- 5%-15% chance to knock affected targets' shields offline. Chance increases with charge time.
-- About 3-4 seconds to fully charge up
- Thoughts: I like the idea. Giving us a weapon that does more damage based on how long you hold the secondary fire down is pretty neat. The shield offline debuff is pretty neat too. However, the buff lasts 1 minute, which to me feels like a possible balance concern for ground PvP. I haven't tested with a group yet, but I suspect that if one target has its shields knocked offline, all targets hit with that shot will.

Plasma Long-Range Assault Minigun
- Primary fire range: 35 meters
-- Exploit attack
- Thoughts: Miniguns in their current state are the worst weapon possible. They lock your abilities up due to the ridiculously long animation lock, and they don't even do great damage. An extra 5 meters is inconsequential at best, especially considering they do less damage than even a standard minigun. My suggestion? Right click -> discard.

However, my main gripe with these weapons is that they are only limited to Plasma damage, it seems. The only ones I could find on the dilithium store were plasma-based. If there are no plans to introduce phaser, disruptor, tetryon, polaron and antiproton variants, please, PLEASE reconsider. Some of these weapons are too good to pass up, and I'd hate to be shoehorned into Plasma damage to be at the top of my game. A Polaron Widebeam Rifle would be incredibly useful for the high chance that you'll shut down at least two of the enemies' weapons.

morkargh117 04-19-2013 01:14 PM

Romulans were notorious for always using Disruptors, so I don't know where all this plasma stuff came from in the first place.

lordthrud 04-19-2013 04:25 PM

Cheers OP for the specs on the rom weps also is anyone having probs with not seeing the gfx effects of the secondary fire modes?
As I see damage but no visual effects the primary modes seem to function correctly.

archoncryptic 04-19-2013 06:21 PM

Thanks for the feedback! These are still in a pretty early state, and many of them will probably see balance changes before they're shipped. The visual effects for these weapons are placeholder.

If the Charged Blast is knocking shields offline for a minute (which is what it sounds like you were describing), that sounds like a pretty serious bug. I'll look at that immediately.

These currently represent the technology developed by the Romulan Republic, who specifically use Plasma weaponry. We're open to the possibility of other damage types at some point in the future, but probably not for launch.

threat21 04-19-2013 06:24 PM

will there be elite fleet versions of the plasma weapons for romulan toons?

archoncryptic 04-19-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threat21 (Post 9328801)
will there be elite fleet versions of the plasma weapons for romulan toons?

Probably not for launch. Possibly in the future.

dontdrunkimshoot 04-19-2013 06:49 PM

were is this stuff at? sounds interesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by morkargh117 (Post 9319751)
Romulans were notorious for always using Disruptors, so I don't know where all this plasma stuff came from in the first place.

well, in star trek everything seems like its called a phaser or a disruptor, they are pretty blanket terms. the rom and klingon weapons were always a different color though, so them being plasma weapon in game represents that. plasma weapons are disrupters, only slightly different. so they are called plasma weapons to be more specific.

tsurutafan01 04-19-2013 06:55 PM

Yeah in the series "disruptor" did get thrown around a lot, and I see how Romulans = plasma could bug people from a canon perspective. I'm trying to remember offhand if the term "plasma disturptors" ever got used on screen and I think it did, but I wouldn't be comfortable saying where or with whom.

But I also say from a game design standpoint it is probably for the best if each faction has an independent default weapon style (at least for people who like sticking to such things, many won't care of course), and it's a compromise that is likely worth making.

jheinig 04-19-2013 07:24 PM

At the moment the plan is that the Tal Shiar and former Romulan Star Navy will continue to use disruptors, while the Romulan Republic uses plasma weapons.

dontdrunkimshoot 04-19-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jheinig (Post 9329801)
At the moment the plan is that the Tal Shiar and former Romulan Star Navy will continue to use disruptors, while the Romulan Republic uses plasma weapons.

thats sorta what i gathered, seeing the npcs in action. i think all romulan ships should use the plasma weapons though, you wouldn't have to have 2 different npcs for republic and sela faction. there isn't until now sorta, any faction that uses the player use plasma weapons. well, the borg kinda, but those have a different coloring.