Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   @name change (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=63011)

Archived Post 01-14-2010 09:36 PM

@name change
 
People have said that customer service will change your @name if it is the same as your account, but what if you would just like it changed in general?

I thought I was just creating a forum handle back when I created this name...I really don't want to make people have to type out my entire, long, underscore filled name to add me to their friends or send me a tell.

Anyone know if Cryptiq gives you a do-over? Before I link all my codes I want to make sure I get my account set up right.

Thanks!

Archived Post 01-14-2010 10:28 PM

Contact billing support, they handle that kind of thing.

Archived Post 01-15-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderanger
Contact billing support, they handle that kind of thing.


And take the time to read the Billing Support FAQ, it'll tell you exactly what you need to do.

Archived Post 01-15-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderanger
Contact billing support, they handle that kind of thing.

I'll repost what I said another thread, because "let support handle it" is not a good long term solution to this issue. Also, that other thread "calls out" Cryptic in a way I think is detrimental, so the overall point gets buried in BS.

The game should not allow you to make the mistake of having the handle be the same as the username. Actually, it should sternly prohibit you from doing so. This is a usability issue as much as a security issue. At launch, I see a lot of folks (who aren't so security savvy perhaps), making this mistake.

[In response to other posts I've seen...] You can't just say "make a strong password". That's part of the battle, but not the be all end all of security. Not every hacker is going to use the brute force/dictionary hack/etc. method. (Also, keep in mind that there are folks out there who truly don't know what the hell a "strong" password really is.)

You also can't lump this issue on Support (as the FAQ currently leads people to do), especially at launch time. Fix the code to prohibit folks from making this mistake NOW, not later. Your support people will thank you.

Archived Post 01-15-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

I'll repost what I said another thread, because "let support handle it" is not a good long term solution to this issue. Also, that other thread "calls out" Cryptic in a way I think is detrimental, so the overall point gets buried in BS.

The game should not allow you to make the mistake of having the handle be the same as the username. Actually, it should sternly prohibit you from doing so. This is a usability issue as much as a security issue. At launch, I see a lot of folks (who aren't so security savvy perhaps), making this mistake.

[In response to other posts I've seen...] You can't just say "make a strong password". That's part of the battle, but not the be all end all of security. Not every hacker is going to use the brute force/dictionary hack/etc. method. (Also, keep in mind that there are folks out there who truly don't know what the hell a "strong" password really is.)

You also can't lump this issue on Support (as the FAQ currently leads people to do), especially at launch time. Fix the code to prohibit folks from making this mistake NOW, not later. Your support people will thank you.
Here is the thing, issues like this end up having an effect like herd immunity. As long as the option exists and more than a certain proportion of the population uses it, even those that don't are shielded because an attacker doesn't know if they have or not. Also the vast vast majority of MMO account attacks are either web phishing or keyloggers, neither of which are affected by having hidden account names. </security engineer>

Archived Post 01-15-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderanger
Here is the thing, issues like this end up having an effect like herd immunity. As long as the option exists and more than a certain proportion of the population uses it, even those that don't are shielded because an attacker doesn't know if they have or not.

Also the vast vast majority of MMO account attacks are either web phishing or keyloggers, neither of which are affected by having hidden account names. </security engineer>

And social engineering *cough* Blizzard Support *cough* (and others). Yes, I agree. </security engineer>

However, my issue isn't so much with the "security" aspect (even though that still is a factor) but the "usability" aspect. If the code doesn't do the "shielding" then the text should at least explicitly make clear where and what the handle is used for as they create their account. For the less technically savvy among us, it seems that learning of this after the fact is probably not the best user experience and then having the user "wait" for Support to address the issue isn't going to win you fans either. :) </support engineer>

Also, and correct me if the forum goers have this wrong (haven't tested yet), if I disable showing my handle in chat it should disable it for ALL not just for me. I don't want people to associate me to my handle, I want them to associate me to the character that I'm playing </RP playa>

FYI: Thank you for the response. If anything it shows that Cryptic isn't "Teh Evil" Devs to those who want to place those kind of labels.

Edit:

For example, when you're creating an account it says:

"Your display name is the public handle shown to all users."

Be clearer, it helps...for example:

"Your display name is the public handle shown to all users, this includes the game forums, in-game chat, etc."

I guess my gripe is more with the web UI/designer/etc. for this tho, heh. Yes, a lot of people won't read that (and then they should go to Support), but at least you are leading folks down a more user-friendly path.

Archived Post 01-15-2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

And social engineering *cough* Blizzard Support *cough* (and others). Yes, I agree. </security engineer>

However, my issue isn't so much with the "security" aspect (even though that still is a factor) but the "usability" aspect. If the code doesn't do the "shielding" then the text should at least explicitly make clear where and what the handle is used for as they create their account. For the less technically savvy among us, it seems that learning of this after the fact is probably not the best user experience and then having the user "wait" for Support to address the issue isn't going to win you fans either. :) </support engineer>

Also, and correct me if the forum goers have this wrong (haven't tested yet), if I disable showing my handle in chat it should disable it for ALL not just for me. I don't want people to associate me to my handle, I want them to associate me to the character that I'm playing </RP playa>

FYI: Thank you for the response. If anything it shows that Cryptic isn't "Teh Evil" Devs to those who want to place those kind of labels.
Hiding handles will not remove it for others. That is purely a cosmetic flag for your own chat UI. It is not without its downsides, but we feel that the benefits of the system outweigh them.

Archived Post 01-15-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderanger
Contact billing support, they handle that kind of thing.

Thanks for the reply Coderanger!

Opened a ticket, just waiting for the reply.

Archived Post 01-15-2010 04:01 PM

They will not change your handle except in the case of it being the same as your account name.

And no they don't have a good reason not to except they don't want to.

I tried for almost two weeks and would post the responses i got but i had already deleted them.

Archived Post 01-15-2010 04:22 PM

I agree with QueenVoodoo, I am not happy that my username is showing in both the post and in the game. If I knew this I would used another.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:49 AM.