Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Romulan Ale (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=635581)

stodatapiocard 04-22-2013 05:40 PM

Romulan Ale

Now why in the entire universe is Romulan Ale ilegall?? I mean really!

startrek1wars 04-22-2013 05:54 PM

A just as important question is that if it's illegal, why do upstanding citizens of the Federation drink it?

sander233 04-22-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stodatapiocard (Post 9392621)
Now why in the entire universe is Romulan Ale ilegall?? I mean really!

Because of the deleterious effects it has upon those who consume said beverage.

Which also answers this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by startrek1wars (Post 9392981)
A just as important question is that if it's illegal, why do upstanding citizens of the Federation drink it?

lincolninspace 04-22-2013 08:42 PM

I always assumed it was due to a trade embargo against the Romulan empire, the same reason you wont be drinking booze from N Korea or smoking cigars from Cuba.

hpcapulet 04-23-2013 08:27 AM

Well now that Romulan is the third faction Romulan ale cannot be illegal anymore right? Wouldn't want to exclude your shiny new faction to favor Feds would you Cryptic? ;)

defalus 04-23-2013 08:48 AM

It was made illegal so Starfleet admirals could sit down together in their fancy chairs sipping Romulan Ale that the common rabble can't enjoy and talk about how "dreadnaught" is such woody word and how "vesta" is a very tinny word.

jonsills 04-23-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by defalus (Post 9405831)
It was made illegal so Starfleet admirals could sit down together in their fancy chairs sipping Romulan Ale that the common rabble can't enjoy and talk about how "dreadnaught" is such woody word and how "vesta" is a very tinny word.

Obscure Monty Python reference for the win! :) (Seriously - I had to double-check my memory to make sure it wasn't from Firesign Theater or the Goon Show or something...)

sander233 04-23-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonsills (Post 9406541)
Obscure Monty Python reference for the win! :) (Seriously - I had to double-check my memory to make sure it wasn't from Firesign Theater or the Goon Show or something...)

All the naughty words are woody.

farmallm 04-23-2013 04:11 PM

What what I read, mainly due to Embargo. More likely due to Federation/Romulan issues on those 2 getting along. As the Federation and Romulans had never reached full peace. Only small a few truce for certain times if needed. Since even in Nemesis they still showed some issues between the 2. Even after the Dominion War. However for STO time line that might have been settled. Or going to be soon with the new Romulus could open that up. Embargos happens often over 2 groups that has issues.

USA and Cuba has an Embargo. Which is why Cuban Cigars are illegal in the states. Which that Embargo been in place for several decades now.

erikmodi 04-24-2013 03:06 PM

When Kirk and Bones drink Romulan Ale in Star Trek II, the effect is described in the script as an "instant drunk." In other words, Romulan Ale is so potent that most people CAN'T drink any appreciable quantity without getting totally smashed. This makes sense, given how Vulcans have been shown as highly resistant to many things that affect humans (including caffeine), and since Romulans have the same essential physiology, that their intoxicants would be incredibly potent.