Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Will rep system essentiually be downfall of pvp? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=636461)

srspells 04-23-2013 04:20 AM

Will rep system essentiually be downfall of pvp?

http://i.imgur.com/oPMdcKt.png
thats the nakura rep.

and with all the buffs / nerf to shields will this turn the game sideways a bit.

I mean we logically have to think more rep with more abilitys are coming out.

Is It To Much?

-Spells

havam 04-23-2013 04:23 AM

lol its fallen so deep already. systems latest strikes of genius are bad jokes beating a dead horse

srspells 04-23-2013 04:25 AM

I mean dont get me wrong i will always spend money it just seems like thier needing some serious testers.
-Spells

hurleybird 04-23-2013 05:30 AM

The only passive that looks game breaking to me is the last one, for the obvious reason that you can use it as an AOE insta-pop if all five team mates activate it at the same time.

maicake716 04-23-2013 05:45 AM

so....

an always on extra better dem or 5% extra hull? thats a no brainer if i understood it right.

2.5% of (on average) 3k hits from dhc is what....? more then needed?

also...

MOAR FREE EXTRA POWA!

werent they just ******** not too long ago about how easy it was to get power?

and LOL wow... so a cpb extra strength (since its not reduced by power insulators)....

i so cant wait to see the next rep tree to see how they top this pile of poo.

praxi5 04-23-2013 06:02 AM

Nah, I don't think so. These look (at a first glance) relatively tame compared to the horrid power creep that was introduced with Omega/Romulan Rep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hurleybird (Post 9402421)
The only passive that looks game breaking to me is the last one, for the obvious reason that you can use it as an AOE insta-pop if all five team mates activate it at the same time.

Is it any different than a coordinated 5-Man Iso Charge though? It does less damage.

ursusmorologus 04-23-2013 06:09 AM

Its not that any one of these are bad, but rather that anybody who wants to PVP will be required to have them just to be on the same level as everybody else. It raises the bar to entry yet again.

twam 04-23-2013 06:11 AM

You know what? I'm going to reserve judgement on that one for now, until I fight players all kitted out with these.

So far, using non-rep characters in pvp is still perfectly viable, in my experience - once they fixed the bogus shield boost that one of these t4's gave. Even when I am thoroughly outgeared, it's mostly the elite fleet shields that flatline my attacks.

Sure, they're more unstrippable bonuses that you get without sacrificing for elsewhere, but they're not massive, per se. They look like the kind of thing that might, just might, tip the balance in situations where 2 exactly identically skilled captains fly exactly identically outfitted identical ships - how often does that happen anyway?

srspells 04-23-2013 06:58 AM

Very valid points guys yeah this is just a discussion, im kinda on fence, I just dont want power creeps real bad.
-Spells

shockwave85 04-23-2013 07:42 AM

PvP isn't as much an issue, at least not yet. Those of us currently playing will all keep up with the rep systems and all be on even playing field. The shield ignoring passives from Omega and Nukara reps can only help with the absurd levels of shield damage resist we're seeing. New players might have a problem as more and more reps come online. It'll just be crazy trying to grind them all out at once.

The bigger issue I think is PvE, honestly. Just look at how even half assed PUGs can faceroll an ESTF with all their top end gear and rep powers. ISE is barely even challenging anymore. Even if somebody pops a generator early, we still melt the transformer faster than the spheres can get there. Also, look at how fast the CE is going down. It took people a few days to get used to the mission, but now it's like child's play. If we keep having this power creep, even the game's hardest content is going to be way too easy.