Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   So I was netflixin Enterprise... (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=639401)

annemarie30 04-24-2013 07:34 PM

So I was netflixin Enterprise...

and it occurs to me that the NX-01 should not be in the game if this is the prime timeline.

In First Contact, the E goes back in time, defeat the Borg, and come back. No Borg in the past in the Prime timeline. in Enterprise, they discover Borg in the Arctic. Ergo, Enterprise must be the alternate timeline, the one the E left to return to the Prime future.

trek21 04-24-2013 07:42 PM

It's also said on Memory Alpha that the Borg in that episode are ones that survived First Contact's defeat (somehow), and were reactivated by Human scientists, and managed to transmit a message to Borg space before they were truly destroyed.

Which means the entire time, the Borg were coming for the Federation because of that message, and Q threw the Enterprise-D in their general path as an early warning. And the attack in First Contact just creates an endless time loop, repeating that sequence over and over.

At least, as I understand it :D

psycoticvulcan 04-24-2013 07:46 PM

It's a predestination paradox. The Borg wouldn't be destroying Federation colonies in TNG if they hadn't been tipped off by the transmission in "Regeneration".

commandereliza 04-24-2013 07:48 PM

It's a poorly designed episode, much like the Ferengi one, which throws a wrench in the established storyline. I'd certainly be willing to believe it's set in the same normal prime universe as TNG, DS9 etc. and that the Borg are largely forgotten/not fully understood. They probably weren't very well recorded due to the very short period of interaction with them, much like the Ferengi were.

centersolace 04-24-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commandereliza (Post 9443151)
It's a poorly designed episode, much like the Ferengi one, which throws a wrench in the established storyline. I'd certainly be willing to believe it's set in the same normal prime universe as TNG, DS9 etc. and that the Borg are largely forgotten/not fully understood. They probably weren't very well recorded due to the very short period of interaction with them, much like the Ferengi were.

Thank you for saying this for me.

eldarion79 04-24-2013 08:23 PM

What I got from the episode was that the Borg would eventually encounter the UFP, but FC pushed up that contact. I really don't see a problem with it. When you time travel stories, things get muddled.

In re Ferengi, you got me on that one.

marc8219 04-24-2013 08:40 PM

It seems like time travel only creates alternate universes in JJ Trek. In normal sane Star Trek without JJ, time travel affects the prime universe, hence why they need agents to police the timline to prevent contamination.

eldarion79 04-24-2013 08:44 PM

Well, you forgot, all those universes in TNG Parallels, the alternate universe from DS9 The Visitor, TNG All Good Things, VOY Timeless, VOY Year of Hell, VOY Endgame, TNG Yesterday's Enterprise, TAS Yesteryear, and so on.

disposeableh3r0 04-24-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marc8219 (Post 9443951)
It seems like time travel only creates alternate universes in JJ Trek. In normal sane Star Trek without JJ, time travel affects the prime universe, hence why they need agents to police the timline to prevent contamination.

In the prime universe each instance of time travel included the travelers doing everything possible to preserve the sequence/timing of events.

JJ treks time line was created because of serious alterations in the time line caused by Nero.

neoakiraii 04-24-2013 08:54 PM

I like to think The Enterprise E went back in time and also created the Enterprise legacy.

That the first NX class ship was originally going to be NX-01 Dauntless, but Zefram Cochrane said the first warp five ship should be Enterprise, and Starfleet complied since he went missing as a last wish.