Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   dmg types. plasma the best? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=643531)

wormsigns 04-27-2013 06:21 PM

dmg types. plasma the best?

i bring up this point in hope that some one that knows a thing or two about this kinda thing.
plasma seems to be the best dmg type from what ive read and seen. that being said i will bring some points to light.

1: set bonus romulan thing that while its only 7,9% still is extra dmg modifier.
2: ontop of that set some science consoles also give a bonus to plasma dmg.
3: ontop of the set and the science consoles you still have your tactical consoles to add in.

so i ask. is plasma the most viable pve dmg type? some people say "hey polaron is awesome sauce" to them i say omg a 25 drain every once in a while what ever will i do.... pop a device.
some people also say tet is the best. and that i can see but i would need to see some solid numbers before i make fun of it.

also sorry for the bad English skills still working on it. ^_^

bohiap 04-27-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wormsigns (Post 9501911)
i bring up this point in hope that some one that knows a thing or two about this kinda thing.
plasma seems to be the best dmg type from what ive read and seen. that being said i will bring some points to light.

1: set bonus romulan thing that while its only 7,9% still is extra dmg modifier.
2: ontop of that set some science consoles also give a bonus to plasma dmg.
3: ontop of the set and the science consoles you still have your tactical consoles to add in.

so i ask. is plasma the most viable pve dmg type? some people say "hey polaron is awesome sauce" to them i say omg a 25 drain every once in a while what ever will i do.... pop a device.
some people also say tet is the best. and that i can see but i would need to see some solid numbers before i make fun of it.

also sorry for the bad English skills still working on it. ^_^

I would say have fun and stick with plasma if you like it. Unless you're min-maxing DPS and parsing every mission I don't think energy type really matters as long as you stick with just one.

The Answer used to be anti-proton because of the modifiers, I use them on my fleet Defiant. Having said that I rolled a KDF alt that uses polaron weapons, with the Jem'hadar set, and does fairly well in Elite STFs. I can place 2nd or 3rd in almost every CE event run with either toon.

You are correct that with the Romulan set, fleet consoles, and plasma tactical consoles you could do a respectable amount of damage. You would certainly be armed well enough for an elite STF. Plus- with the exception of fleet science consoles- it can all be easily obtained through the reputation system

It also depends on play style and the ship you fly. I fly a fleet defiant with 3 Dual Heavy Cannons and an Omega Torpedo launcher. The Romulan set includes a beam- which I don't use.

bareel 04-27-2013 07:29 PM

Disruptors are still the number one PvE proc. And yes plasma has the most +damage available.

So one just has to put two and two together and get romulan plasma turrets with fleet plasma DHCs in the front.

ddesjardins 04-27-2013 08:30 PM

If you're a:

Klingon with a T5 Starbase and Elite weapons access, then disrupter's win, or;
Fed with a T5 Starbase and Elite weapons access, then Phasers win, or;

If you're like most people, there isn't a 'must have' energy type. They're pretty much the same. The current flavour of the month is Romulan Plasma. Before that [enter name here]. Just keep your flavour to one at a time, and the math is in your favour.

It's not the weapon that's deadly. It's the captain that wields it.

deokkent 04-28-2013 12:11 AM

Imho, I think the weapons you use have to work well with your build synergy. There are many builds available to sto players: debuffer, disable, max crit hits, spike damage, drain etc... Example: polaron or tetryon to drain someone's power system levels or shields strength. Very effective if you have max points in flow capacitors, have omega space/breen set and perhaps use energy siphon (or something along those lines).

captainforfun 04-28-2013 12:38 AM

The drawback for Plasma is the high resistences all the Set shields provide against it. Which ofc only matters if you do pvp. For pve i jsut can agree to the other posters, that the energy type does not matter taht much. Just use what you like.

khayuung 04-28-2013 01:14 AM

You'd have to see to believe it. Apart from the odd guy with elite shields and electrosomething armor, I usually baste the target in tac-buffed ejected plasma before hitting with DHCs which drops the shields just as the heavy plas torps arrive. The shield resistance only applies to the shield after all, once that's gone, you're melting hulls. And sometimes you can melt hulls without the shields dropping!

doffingcomrade 04-28-2013 01:44 AM

Plasma Synergy is being destroyed in the upcoming patches, as Plasma Infusers no longer affect plasma-based damage from non-weapons, so the utility of plasma will fall significantly as there is no longer a benefit to using plasma at all unless you are running the Rommie [Pla] Science Consoles as well: It's not cheap, and it won't enjoy any synergy with other plasma uses.

eardianm 04-28-2013 08:31 AM

Pve forum, people responding with random pvp details. gg

Bareel had the correct answer. Disruptor proc is the only one worth anything in pve, and all the additional plasma damage options now are only really good because rommie plasma has the disruptor proc built in, allowing for both the best proc and the highest damage stacking

aspartan1 04-28-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eardianm (Post 9510331)
Pve forum, people responding with random pvp details. gg

Bareel had the correct answer. Disruptor proc is the only one worth anything in pve, and all the additional plasma damage options now are only really good because rommie plasma has the disruptor proc built in, allowing for both the best proc and the highest damage stacking

Sage advice there methinks.... :D