Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Republic Defection (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=644301)

flash525 04-28-2013 12:55 PM

Republic Defection
 
By now, everyone should know that the Romulans are coming in May; in the form of the Romulan Republic. It's no secret that a fair number of people were hoping to play as the Romulan Empire rather than a bunch of supposed peaceful folk; it's also no secret that a fair number of people aren't overly happy with (when playing a Romulan) needing to join the Federation or Klingon factions.

Unfortunately for those people (myself included) that is now set in stone, there's no point complaining about it, as it isn't going to change. Too much time and too many resources have no doubt gone in to making the Republic style Romulans to realistically think that Cryptic would start over for what I'd think is 50% of the community.

What I'd like to discuss here though is the idea of an expansion in which Romulan players are given the option to Defect. We all start off as Romulan civilians as it is, and we then choose to join D'Tan and the Federation / Klingons. I don't think it would be too farfetched an idea to allow your chosen character to defect to the Romulan Empire at a later date.

In doing so, you'd be defecting against D'Tan and your chosen alliance, and would be reverting back to your routes. This wouldn't be mandatory, it would be optional. There should be a point within the leveling system in which, deciding on your path, you get unique missions; and as it currently is, once you've chosen a path, you've got to stick with it (as such would be brought in at a later date anyway, existing characters should get a one-time allegiance switch if they so choose).

Just an idea that might please hardcore Sela followers. :) Cryptic would get to keep the D'Tan story, and players that choose it would get to keep their FED/KDF alliance in tact. Worthy of thought, or not so much?

theonerussian762 04-28-2013 01:10 PM

Interesting, I like it, there could 8e some sort of optional quest.

brigadooom 04-28-2013 01:10 PM

It could be done as an 'episode pack' on the C Store, with a bunch of missions over the course of which you'd defect. Any prior Rep System skill gains could be kept (they're skills/abilities learned, rather than things rented, right?) and a Tal Shiar version of the Rep stores could keep your access to those goods (spies, Ferengi being paid off, shipments intercepted..). New set visuals though :P

Could be a mini-faction. If only :(

neoakiraii 04-28-2013 01:13 PM

then no STF, no access to Academy, no access to PVP, no access to fleet bases, no access to pretty much anything endgame.

flash525 04-28-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neoakiraii (Post 9512991)
then no STF

Why would this require you to not have STFs?
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoakiraii (Post 9512991)
no access to Academy

You'd have a Romulan version of an Academy.[/quote]
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoakiraii (Post 9512991)
no access to PVP

I would hope that at some point down the line, Cryptic would open up three-way PvP.
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoakiraii (Post 9512991)
no access to fleet bases

I'd hope to eventually have Romulan Fleets (once all the FED/KDF fleets are complete, which will be within the next 6-12 months for most everyone will need something new to throw their resources at.
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoakiraii (Post 9512991)
no access to pretty much anything endgame.

Again, you'd have unique Romulan items.

duaths1 04-28-2013 01:54 PM

DStahl already talked about this.

he said they are going to give us some other Fleet Holding which would be completely "Romulan".

imho it would be tied with the incoming "fleet cooperation" stuff which Cryptic's people are talking about.

after the initial dissapointment im ok with how they solved the issue, and i would strongly advise AGAINST any special Romulan fleet holding, instead, give fleets a new project

the ROMULAN REDESIGN of the SB for fleets which are official Romulan fleets (this would be either a choice or would need 50+% Romulan Faction toons in the fleet)

this project could be very expensive, i think of 1 million Dill for existing fleets.


i know my fleet would do this.

edit:

OP, how do you imagine the queues to work? if you play KDF now - you know more than a half of them does not start AT ALL!

your idea would be VERY appreciated IF they made ALL The PVE/ PVP content available "cross-faction", but that would be a simple and effective solution, which MANY people have suggested here and there still has been NO reaction from Cryptic, so i suppose it is out of the question for some unknown CBS reason.

snoggymack22 04-28-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash525 (Post 9512841)
to realistically think that Cryptic would start over for what I'd think is 50% of the community.

More like 18% if you want to use Cryptic metrics.

Quote:

What I'd like to discuss here though is the idea of an expansion in which Romulan players are given the option to Defect.
In three to five years from now, I think it will be time to consider other factions besides Romulans. Prior to that? Well I mean, there's just far too many things higher on the development team's priority list. And really, minority factions don't rate much in terms of resource allocation.


Quote:

not so much?
Not so much. Your idea seems to ignore the reality that is cryptic video game development.

shpoks 04-28-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash525 (Post 9512841)
SNIP for lenght. :)

Sooo.....another Romulan faction. Technically two Romulan factions .Let me see....uhm....nope!
In the future after LoR is released, Cryptic should focus their efforts to developing game content and stabilizing the game for the existing 3 factions. And bug fixes. I don't want to see any new factions, mini-factions or half-assed factions untill the Romulan Republic is developed enough to cut it's umbilical cord from Starfleet and the KDF and stand on their own with more diverse ship rooster, their academy, Romulan starbases and such. Only when we have the 3 factions made equal by all standards, no matter how much time it takes, then we should discuss new factions/mini factions. And even then it shouldn't be another Romulan faction, but a Cardassian one.

I know it's hard to do this, but die-hard Romulan fans will have to suck it up and deal with the situation that was served. I know that most people expected RSE, so did I to be honest, but it is what it is. IMHO, there shouldn't be another Romulan faction that will be RSE to appease Sela fans. If that is the case, then I want another Federation faction that doesn't kill everyone at sight or slaughter civilian personel, cause that is not Starfleet I expected when I joined the game.

daan2006 04-28-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash525 (Post 9512841)
By now, everyone should know that the Romulans are coming in May; in the form of the Romulan Republic. It's no secret that a fair number of people were hoping to play as the Romulan Empire rather than a bunch of supposed peaceful folk; it's also no secret that a fair number of people aren't overly happy with (when playing a Romulan) needing to join the Federation or Klingon factions.

Unfortunately for those people (myself included) that is now set in stone, there's no point complaining about it, as it isn't going to change. Too much time and too many resources have no doubt gone in to making the Republic style Romulans to realistically think that Cryptic would start over for what I'd think is 50% of the community.

What I'd like to discuss here though is the idea of an expansion in which Romulan players are given the option to Defect. We all start off as Romulan civilians as it is, and we then choose to join D'Tan and the Federation / Klingons. I don't think it would be too farfetched an idea to allow your chosen character to defect to the Romulan Empire at a later date.

In doing so, you'd be defecting against D'Tan and your chosen alliance, and would be reverting back to your routes. This wouldn't be mandatory, it would be optional. There should be a point within the leveling system in which, deciding on your path, you get unique missions; and as it currently is, once you've chosen a path, you've got to stick with it (as such would be brought in at a later date anyway, existing characters should get a one-time allegiance switch if they so choose).

Just an idea that might please hardcore Sela followers. :) Cryptic would get to keep the D'Tan story, and players that choose it would get to keep their FED/KDF alliance in tact. Worthy of thought, or not so much?

got my +1 !!!!!!!

anazonda 04-28-2013 02:10 PM

What I don't understand is that people refuse to take note of the fact that cryptic has on more than one occasion indicated that the romulans at some point will grow into a faction with their own fleets.

The way romulans will be shaped in the beginning is not how they will look forever... It will just be a step on the roade to becoming great again.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:43 AM.