Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Need vs Greed in Fleet Action PUGs (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=644371)

voyagerfan9751 04-28-2013 03:11 PM

Need vs Greed in Fleet Action PUGs

Ok, so I decided to start running Fleet Actions as a way to pass the time and earn Dilithium in preparation for Legacy of Romulus.

Since I am usually using the Public queue system, which automatic goes on the Need/greed system, I tended to monitor myself in relation to drop items.

If I was actually going to use the item for improving my build (I am rather low level on the toon I am using, so the build could use help) I would roll Need. If I was only going to sell the item for some quick EC, I would roll Greed. and of course if I didn't think it was worth my time either way, I would pass. I figured this was fairest to everyone, especially since I don't really know any of the other players.

The thing is, this usually resulted in me greeding on everything, so I end up getting nothing as someone else always rolled need. Now I am not complaining about other people's actions. They are free to do what they want, and I certainly don't expect a bunch of strangers to follow "my rules".

But my question is, Am I limiting myself for no reason? Am I truly being fair or am I just letting perfectly good loot go by because I didn't hit need? What is the generally excepted practice with public queue groups?

thecosmic1 04-28-2013 03:39 PM

I think if you're intentionally using Need/Greed and only choosing Greed you're intentionally letting good loot go by. Either don't use Need/Greed or choose Need and let the computer decide. Personally, I only use the base system when I team - and let each person's loot drops come however the computer deems necessary.

voyagerfan9751 04-28-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecosmic1 (Post 9515401)
I think if you're intentionally using Need/Greed and only choosing Greed you're intentionally letting good loot go by. Either don't use Need/Greed or choose Need and let the computer decide. Personally, I only use the base system when I team - and let each person's loot drops come however the computer deems necessary.

Like I said, I am using public queues so as far as I know Need/Greed is all you get. but thanks for the feedback.

tlamstrike 04-28-2013 04:00 PM

This is the policy our fleet uses, and I think it is a very good one.

With an all fleet team, use greed; that way if a member really does need a loot drop everyone can agree to let them need on it to have it.

With a mixed (fleet and non-fleet) premade team, use all greed by mutual consent.

With a team with even one PUG member, need on everything because just about everyone in the PUG queues are going to needing on loot anyways.

admrenlarreck 04-28-2013 05:30 PM

In Public ques, expect everyone else to need on everything. They never greed. If you want loot from a public que you need to need on everything. With fleet mates its a different story entirely. but public hit need cause everyone else is.

threat21 04-28-2013 05:34 PM

since this game is pay to win, why don't they just put a roll/pass button on it instead of need or greed and that eliminates all of this discussion.

daan2006 04-28-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threat21 (Post 9516701)
since this game is pay to win, why don't they just put a roll/pass button on it instead of need or greed and that eliminates all of this discussion.

this^^^^^ and plus there will always bee some one greedy

cptshephard 04-28-2013 07:18 PM

I used to do the whole "Need it if I need it, greed it if I don't" fair play rule in PuGs.

Then I realized everyone else was needing on everything, so now in PuGs I default to need. Otherwise you'll never get anything. A situation isn't fair when you're the only one being fair.

voporak 04-28-2013 08:46 PM

Since EDCs disappeared from the loot roll in STFs, there is nothing even worth needing on. Everything just clutters up my inventory, I always pass. :cool:

guilli88 04-28-2013 10:43 PM

Need, always.

The simple logical reason: As long as I can upgrade my character/ship/duty officers with Energy Credits (I still have not got 400 purple duty officers), I will need on everything that I can sell for EC.