Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   Space combat smooth, ground gameplay whacked (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=64466)

Archived Post 01-15-2010 05:22 PM

Space combat smooth, ground gameplay whacked

Hi there.

Ok so in space, my game animates at like 50 fps or more. Really impressive, etc.

The second I beam to anywhere, it instantly turns into a bloody slideshow of like 10 - 12 fps, sometimes far less. Totally unplayable, a huge disappointment.

I'm using a Radeon HD 4890. I've played with the settings, even had everything off at 800x600, still at 10 fps. What a joke!

Nothing else is running as I play this game except fraps to measure the frames. Heat is not a factor, my basement is flipping cold.

Any ideas? I tried rolling back the drivers already, that didn't help.

Ugh, please tell me at least, that I'm not the only one. I basically built this rig for STO, if it's just me I'm gonna go berserk and give up on PC gaming.

Thanks!

Archived Post 01-15-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matteis (Post 1451173)
Hi there.

Ok so in space, my game animates at like 50 fps or more. Really impressive, etc.

The second I beam to anywhere, it instantly turns into a bloody slideshow of like 10 - 12 fps, sometimes far less. Totally unplayable, a huge disappointment.

I'm using a Radeon HD 4890. I've played with the settings, even had everything off at 800x600, still at 10 fps. What a joke!

Nothing else is running as I play this game except fraps to measure the frames. Heat is not a factor, my basement is flipping cold.

Any ideas? I tried rolling back the drivers already, that didn't help.

Ugh, please tell me at least, that I'm not the only one. I basically built this rig for STO, if it's just me I'm gonna go berserk and give up on PC gaming.

Thanks!

This is a beta test your ment to be helping report problems not complaining about them,this game isnt finished it will have loads of problems.

Archived Post 01-15-2010 05:42 PM

I can't find problems if the game doesn't work in the first place. That's why I wanted to know if others are experiencing the same thing, maybe it's normal behavior at this point otherwise.

Thanks for the bright response though! (not)

Archived Post 01-15-2010 05:46 PM

I am also noticing that ground movement is very jerky. Space combat seems smooth to me too. I also made a post about it.

Archived Post 01-15-2010 06:14 PM

well im glad to see its not just nvidia but ive noticed it subsiding as the day goes on i could be wrong

Archived Post 01-15-2010 06:16 PM

Yes, I'm experiencing the same issues. I know it's not my computer either. If I can run crysis at almost all maximum settings, this game shouldn't be an issue. If I leave space, forget it. The server-side lag is woeful. I'm debating whether or not to buy the lifetime sub based on whether they fix this lag or not.

I understand it's open beta and that the game isn't fixed. I don't know what they can do to fix this issue, but it's close to gamebreaking for me. Hopefully they get it fixed in the next two weeks.

Archived Post 01-15-2010 06:58 PM

This IS gamebreaking for me. If I can't even quest, I can't level, and that certainly means I won't be able to participate in endgame stuff.

I KNOW it's just a beta and nothing's complete, but if cryptic devs that were trolling the forums could drop lines now and then addressing particular issues as ''going to be fixed before the 29th'', it would go a loooong way to appease the players.

Archived Post 01-15-2010 07:01 PM

I am also having this problem. No matter what I do the ground combat is laggy. The space comabt is smooth but going into spacedock is like being on dial up.

Archived Post 01-15-2010 07:04 PM

My guess is that the space portion is far less taxing on the engine due to the relatively low number of polygons - usually you have a few ships, maybe some asteroids. On the ground you have hundreds of trees, NPCs, buildings, etc.

Archived Post 01-15-2010 07:07 PM

Yes but, even at 800x600, with NO EFFECTS enabled. Everything is slid allllllll the way to the left. If it can't be disabled, it's on minimum.

The problem persists!