Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   i really hope LOR comes with some form of AFK protection.. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=653001)

aarons9 05-03-2013 07:26 PM

i really hope LOR comes with some form of AFK protection..

this is becoming a huge problem.. these players are going down the whole list of missions and just sitting there and cashing in the rom marks, omega marks, 1440 dil plus gear..

they dont even repair their ship.. so they have like 20 injuries..

i dont see how there isnt a system to combat these players..

if you go afk the system should boot you from the team.. its not hard..

it takes like what 10 minutes to be marked as afk?

anyone that doesnt move for 10 minutes during a pug stf should be booted..
no rewards. plus an hour penalty should be put on the account, just like he left early.

why does this not exist?

one time i had 2 afk players on my team.. this is a huge problem :(

ladymyajha 05-03-2013 07:29 PM

I'd lower it from 10 minutes to about 3. By ten minutes in some STFs you've already lost the optional, and some of the Romulan and Fleet missions are done in ten minutes.

But anything you do, these "people" will find a way to exploit the system. Still doing something is better then nothing.

What I've never understood is what they are trying to do? Get Omega marks for what? So they can have top end gear, but then have no idea how to use it?

marc8219 05-03-2013 07:51 PM

Why do you keep passing missions with AFKers on the team? This just encourages them.
In an STF if there are AFkers I will sit around near them and wait for them to start moving before I do. If a minute passes by and they still haven't moved I will go AFK as well for 15 min, then come back and leave without penalty. Just alt tab out and watch netflix for 15 min or something, don't ever pass missions with afkers in it or it will never stop. If it is not an stf just warp out immedialtey since there is no penalty.

aarons9 05-03-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marc8219 (Post 9649501)
Why do you keep passing missions with AFKers on the team? This just encourages them.
In an STF if there are AFkers I will sit around near them and wait for them to start moving before I do. If a minute passes by and they still haven't moved I will go AFK as well for 15 min, then come back and leave without penalty. Just alt tab out and watch netflix for 15 min or something, don't ever pass missions with afkers in it or it will never stop. If it is not an stf just warp out immedialtey since there is no penalty.

this just makes things worse, then you become one of those we are trying to get rid of.

you can most of the time complete a mission with 4 players.. you might fail optional or not get as many rom marks..

there needs to be something tho. reporting them to gms doesnt seem to do anything at all.

if you put them on ignore list, the system doesnt take that in account for teams.. which it should..

if someone i dont like is harassing me and i put them on my ignore list, i surely dont want to have them on my team..

marc8219 05-03-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aarons9 (Post 9649561)
this just makes things worse, then you become one of those we are trying to get rid of.

you can most of the time complete a mission with 4 players.. you might fail optional or not get as many rom marks..

there needs to be something tho. reporting them to gms doesnt seem to do anything at all.

if you put them on ignore list, the system doesnt take that in account for teams.. which it should..

if someone i dont like is harassing me and i put them on my ignore list, i surely dont want to have them on my team..

No you are making it worse by carrying AFKers thus encouraging them. Last time there was an AFKer in my group I wasn't the only one who agreed we should also all AFK, almost my entire team agreed except one person who decided to warp out and take a penalty. The other 3 of us just blew the tac cube then sat back and let the probes through in KASE until it failed. it doesn't matter if you can do the mission with 4 people, its the prin ciple of the thing.

lazarus51166 05-03-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

why does this not exist?
because it would be exploited and used to cause problems for other players

this has been said over and over and over again. there is no problem. all you have to do is make your own group. if you don't like the people you PUG with then stop being lazy and stop joining PUG groups

ricorosebud 05-03-2013 09:07 PM

There are already tools in place to render the AFKers and leechers a non-issue.

*Friends lists: invite those you know to not be leechers to do STFs with you
*Fleets: fleets frown upon leechers, bad for the rep
*Chat channel: there are a few chat channels specifically made for grouping STFs

Between those three options you will be able to form STF groups almost anytime (Fri or Sat at 3am, unlikely) so just use these and stay out of PUGs, and you will never have this issue again.

What we don't need is developer time and resources wasted to implement an easily abused system giving players power over other players.

And yes, you SHOULD leave a STF PUG if a leecher is in there. Don't support it.

aarons9 05-03-2013 09:35 PM

right like an afk timer that auto boots someone that doesnt help your team can be exploited :(

i under stand that sometimes you have an emergency and you gotta go do something..
even then its not the end of the world if you get auto booted and have to wait 1 hr before you can join another team..

i dont see this as causing any problems and it will fix the afkers.

the thing about afkers is there is no penalty.. you join, you go watch tv or whatever.. when the mission is over you just click another one. even if you dont finish their mission, they just join another one..

you always cant make teams, mostly because of CDs.. i announce in fleet chat if anyone wants to do a mission.. most of the time.. 3 are in one.. 5 completed it 10 minutes ago and have to wait 25-45 more minutes do it again.. and 3 want to do one you just completed..

its a real mess. :(

azurianstar 05-03-2013 09:37 PM

Too bad the kick option doesn't work for PuGs.

Or that you can't ever group up with those on your ignore list. Because if they get enough people to put you on ignore, then they would be forced to participate.

ricorosebud 05-03-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aarons9 (Post 9650961)
right like an afk timer that auto boots someone that doesnt help your team can be exploited :(

i under stand that sometimes you have an emergency and you gotta go do something..
even then its not the end of the world if you get auto booted and have to wait 1 hr before you can join another team..

i dont see this as causing any problems and it will fix the afkers.

the thing about afkers is there is no penalty.. you join, you go watch tv or whatever.. when the mission is over you just click another one. even if you dont finish their mission, they just join another one..

you always cant make teams, mostly because of CDs.. i announce in fleet chat if anyone wants to do a mission.. most of the time.. 3 are in one.. 5 completed it 10 minutes ago and have to wait 25-45 more minutes do it again.. and 3 want to do one you just completed..

its a real mess. :(

As far as exploits go, auto timer couldn't hurt. Adding it to the game is a waste of time for the reasons I have already stated. You have the power right now to never see a AFKer or leecher again. Nothing from the developer required.

Of course you can't always make teams. (I knew that pushback was coming that is why I was sure to put the bit about off-hours in there) But MOST of the time you can. Fleets are just one of three avenues I mentioned in my previous post. When you PUG, you know you are taking a chance.

Cryptic doesn't need to do anything about this and it would be wasteful if they did. We the players can take care of it ourselves with minimum effort. Developer time and resources need to be devoted to bug fixes, new content and a hundred other things I can think of. Not this.