Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Shatner's Acting (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=659661)

scruffyvulcan 05-07-2013 05:50 PM

Shatner's Acting

I'm just gonna' come out and say this...

I don't understand how any person can watch Wrath of Khan and still claim that Shatner can't act.

crusty8mac 05-07-2013 06:36 PM

And then there are 3 seasons of TOS, and let's not forget Big Bad Mama. :eek:

lykum 05-07-2013 06:40 PM

There isn't a thing wrong with Shatners career. WoK defined the better part of the 80's in terms of sci-fi and was my introduction to Trek in general. Loved him in Andersonville, regular John Wayne! Only quaif I have is the he stopped working out, or didn't start, and sometimes I get the impression space doesn't excite his imagination anymore. He's not the adventurous spirit he once was, something I'd never be at his age. Now he's the miles away look on his face I'll do anything to make you smile however my soul is begging you to stop talking to me trek noob!! Not all the time, but some fans, you just see that ol' look on his face.

Its alright Bill, some fans (like me) do in fact ride horses, drive badass cars, get laid, dream starships, and kick some ass!

crashdragon 05-07-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lykum (Post 9750661)
Its alright Bill, some fans (like me) do in fact ride horses, drive badass cars, get laid, dream starships, and kick some ass!

Then you also wake up from your dreams. =3

Anyways.........
Shatner can act, just can't direct or write a script. *coughstartrek5cough*

scruffyvulcan 05-07-2013 07:32 PM

From his "I did nothing... except get caught with my britches down" to his "I don't like to lose" while eating that apple to the scene with him and Spock separated by that glass to his funeral speech at the end, Shatner's performance (IMO) in WoK was pitch perfect.

linyive 05-07-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scruffyvulcan (Post 9749511)

I don't understand how any person can watch Wrath of Khan and still claim that Shatner can't act.

Prior to William Shatner becoming Kirk, he use to play in Shakespearean plays. All the hand gestures and body language Shatner used were influence by theater.

malakhglitch 05-07-2013 07:57 PM

Shatner is like wine. He starts out rough and earthy and as he ages he mellows down with a full-bodied flavor and a slight kick. By the time Wrath of Khan came out he was well and thoroughly fermented.

jonsills 05-07-2013 07:58 PM

How can anyone say the Shat can't (or, given the time period generally discussed when this topic comes up, couldn't) act?

TOS has already been mentioned. How about Kingdom of the Spiders? :)

snoggymack22 05-07-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scruffyvulcan (Post 9749511)

Probably because if you watched **** My Dad Says, you'd see that sometimes he drops the ball?

;)

Wrath of Khan is pretty amazing. He knocks that one out of the park. But not all his roles were home runs.

Quote:

I'll do anything to make you smile however my soul is begging you to stop talking to me trek noob!! Not all the time, but some fans, you just see that ol' look on his face.

Have you seen The Captains? He really has a few moments in there where he comes to terms with Trek, Kirk and his legacy. It's really great. And oh yeah, he riffs with Avery Brooks too. That alone is worth the viewing.

mirrorchaos 05-07-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

There isn't a thing wrong with Shatners career. WoK defined the better part of the 80's in terms of sci-fi and was my introduction to Trek in general. Loved him in Andersonville, regular John Wayne! Only quaif I have is the he stopped working out, or didn't start, and sometimes I get the impression space doesn't excite his imagination anymore. He's not the adventurous spirit he once was, something I'd never be at his age. Now he's the miles away look on his face I'll do anything to make you smile however my soul is begging you to stop talking to me trek noob!! Not all the time, but some fans, you just see that ol' look on his face.

funny thing, from what i knew of the man during the 60's, 70's and 80's is that he never cared for star trek and im also certain he never watched trek. the thing that appealed to him was not the shows but rather the money. so if cryptic wanted the voice of kirk, the price alone would bankrupt the game to get him onboard for a day.