Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Star Trek Into Darkness - Potential SPOILERS (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=661761)

felixhex 05-08-2013 04:11 PM

Star Trek Into Darkness - Potential SPOILERS

For the longest time I thought this movie was going to be about Kirk's friend who gains Q like abilities. Based on that TOS episode. I did my research and found out much more and how wrong I was, I believe.

I saw a poster were the Enterprise was being chased by the Vengeance. I found a pic of a Klingon that's in the movie. I then watched a clip/trailer were the bad guy says war is coming, then is showed an army of some sort in full helmets and armor of some kind. I read the description below that clip and it was a Klingon army. So, does anyone else have more info on this movie?

atticusmas 05-08-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixhex (Post 9770401)
For the longest time I thought this movie was going to be about Kirk's friend who gains Q like abilities. Based on that TOS episode. I did my research and found out much more and how wrong I was, I believe.

I saw a poster were the Enterprise was being chased by the Vengeance. I found a pic of a Klingon that's in the movie. I then watched a clip/trailer were the bad guy says war is coming, then is showed an army of some sort in full helmets and armor of some kind. I read the description below that clip and it was a Klingon army. So, does anyone else have more info on this movie?

He is Khan.

crashdragon 05-08-2013 04:33 PM

But not the cool Khan.

squatsauce 05-08-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashdragon (Post 9770661)
But not the cool Khan.

Yeah. This one's Dingus Khan.

gfreeman98 05-08-2013 04:46 PM

Is Cumberbatch Irish? Wouldn't that make him... Lingus Khan?

theodrim 05-08-2013 11:03 PM

I don't know, but I can't wait for the lightbulb to go on over the heads of people watching that the genetically-perfect south Asian is...a white European. Not just white European, but like "grand finalist in the Whitest Man on Earth Contest" white. His actor is also this year playing the role of an Australian albino, white.

I mean, Ricardo Montalban as Khan can be forgiven, because let's face it, it was the 1960s. It was six years prior that saw Mickey Rooney and his ground-breaking, politically-correct, performance of Mr. Yunioshi in Breakfast at Tiffany's. At least Montalban looked vaguely the part, and had appropriate costuming. It's frickin' 2013, and we can't get an Indian actor to play an Indian character?

felixhex 05-09-2013 08:24 AM

I agree. I don't know how this movie will play out but I dont see how I will be able to forgive the fact that real Khan was not a white guy in the show and movie, but in Trek 2013, its a british white guy. I will just have to say this is yet another universe in the unlimited universes of Trek.

tlamstrike 05-09-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theodrim (Post 9776331)
I don't know, but I can't wait for the lightbulb to go on over the heads of people watching that the genetically-perfect south Asian is...a white European. Not just white European, but like "grand finalist in the Whitest Man on Earth Contest" white. His actor is also this year playing the role of an Australian albino, white.

I mean, Ricardo Montalban as Khan can be forgiven, because let's face it, it was the 1960s. It was six years prior that saw Mickey Rooney and his ground-breaking, politically-correct, performance of Mr. Yunioshi in Breakfast at Tiffany's. At least Montalban looked vaguely the part, and had appropriate costuming. It's frickin' 2013, and we can't get an Indian actor to play an Indian character?

What and have a minority be portrayed as the villain? People with dark skin are never evil, only white people.

To the PC Reeducation Camp for you! :P

Yea it is 2013 and good luck showing anyone other than a white person as the villain in a film. Someone, somewhere will make a huge stink about it if you dare show some other ethnicity as the bad guy. Just a little over a decade ago we saw the Palestinian Terrorists from Tom Clancy's "The Sum of all Fears" turned in to white European affluent corporate Nazis for the film because an "activist" group who shall not be named threatened protests against the film makers. No producer, writer or directer wants to risk getting branded a racist today.

Sadly this is the reality now. Be glad we don't have group libel in America. :rolleyes:

xtern1ty 05-09-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theodrim (Post 9776331)
It's frickin' 2013, and we can't get an Indian actor to play an Indian character?

Studios feel it wouldn't be real acting... wrong hemisphere. If you want to see Indian actors, there's always Bollywood. Acting is an illusion, too much reality and illusion is replaced by authenticity. There hasn't been an authentic movie since Doctor Zhivago, where a castmember was ran over to death by a train in a scene included for the movie. Can't get more authentic than that, but you can't have actors dying in every movie made, can you. You wouldn't want studios taking our jobs away now? To be awed, thrilled and shocked to death by their movie, that's what we pay them for. Of course, nowadays we don't need to wait to see a movie to be shocked, one look at the wallet will do. :D

lordmalak1 05-09-2013 08:28 AM

I read Kirk gets reanimated with 'super' blood.

Last time I called Kirk a zombie the thread got deleted.
:P