Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   Download repeatedly? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=66627)

Archived Post 01-16-2010 06:10 PM

Download repeatedly?

I downloaded the beta files at work to save on bandwidth issues at home, took it home, installed it.
Ran fine once though complained about graphics drivers (all up to date yesterday), it also patched itself for 180mb (roughly). And never connected to the server but it ran.
Then next time i tried (having gotten bored of watching the login screen) it complained about missing game files, and needing a reinstall, so i reinstalled it and now it wants to download a 7.6 gb patch. thats the siza of the game. Is it just downloading all over again?

Archived Post 01-16-2010 06:28 PM

Depending on where you got the installer, some are one-shot. This means you need to re-extract them from the zip each time you want to use them, if you just run the installer twice without doing so it no longer has the game data files (they are moved the first time, not copied).

Archived Post 01-16-2010 06:29 PM

you can help him right away but ignore others that cannot even play from fatal crashes??? comeon

Archived Post 01-17-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xNAILSx
you can help him right away but ignore others that cannot even play from fatal crashes??? comeon

As a former WoW GM, i know that it is better to knock out a thousand replies with definite answers that may only help 1 person, than to leave some semi coherent advice about an issue that may not yet be fixed.
When they have a solution to your issues they will respond, but until that point they will only be able to say "we are looking into the matter".

Archived Post 01-17-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dweios
As a former WoW GM, i know that it is better to knock out a thousand replies with definite answers that may only help 1 person, than to leave some semi coherent advice about an issue that may not yet be fixed.
When they have a solution to your issues they will respond, but until that point they will only be able to say "we are looking into the matter".

They could at least say something to us. I had the same problem since I downloaded open beta I asked again and again (from the 14th straight till the 17th) for help and all I got was the cold shoulder. Thanks Cryptic I see where your priorities are. :mad:

Archived Post 01-17-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braxiatel (Post 1491701)
They could at least say something to us. I had the same problem since I downloaded open beta I asked again and again (from the 14th straight till the 17th) for help and all I got was the cold shoulder. Thanks Cryptic I see where your priorities are. :mad:

most people, let alone companies, would rather say nothing then give some platitude of "we are looking into it"

in the same vein most people would rather hear nothing then be told repeatedly "we are working on it"

companies like this are in a catch 22 someone is upset if nothing is said, and someone is upset if they say something but that something is not a solution but merely a "we are looking" because that person then feels they are being humored.

people tend not to want to understand that yeah you have problems, but it takes time to find a fix. if it isn't readily available immediately then "nothing is being done"

Archived Post 01-17-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shotmagnet
most people, let alone companies, would rather say nothing then give some platitude of "we are looking into it"

in the same vein most people would rather hear nothing then be told repeatedly "we are working on it"

companies like this are in a catch 22 someone is upset if nothing is said, and someone is upset if they say something but that something is not a solution but merely a "we are looking" because that person then feels they are being humored.

people tend not to want to understand that yeah you have problems, but it takes time to find a fix. if it isn't readily available immediately then "nothing is being done"

So what happens when we are paying customers; are the devs going to treat us like they are now? Lets say I get a 1 month subscription and half way through the month I get another login problem and I submit a issue tag is going to Cryptic says anything to me, would I get a refund; I guess I may never find out seeing as how communicative they are now.