Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=250)
-   -   Rescuing family and friends of BOffs - dialogue rework needed (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=672861)

sumghai 05-12-2013 04:00 PM

Rescuing family and friends of BOffs - dialogue rework needed

At the end of "Installation 18" in the Nimbus arc, Tovan Khev's little sister Rinna is finally rescued from the machinations of the Tal Shiar and Elachi.

Similarly, near the end of the Elachi arc, where one's toon leads his BOffs to storm the Elachi space station, they discover the Elachi using the bodies of Romulan civilians to breed the next generation of Elachi personnel. Of the few that could be successfully revived and beamed back to your ship, these include Zden (Bratty Reman engineer Veril's father) and D'Vex (self-described "old space hound" from Virinat initially believed to be lost when the colony was destroyed.)

Spoilers aside, I felt that the conclusion of the "search for missing family and friends" arc was a bit subdued compared to the initial loss. At it stands, Rinna gets a short piece of dialogue, Zden simply gets beamed away to safety, and D'Vex joins your crew as a BOff without so much as a word.

Therefore, I would like to propose the following improvements:

• Rinna Khev - upon interaction, play a short cutscene with a (tearful) reunion. This would work because for the most part, Tovan is an undischargeable BOff, and thus is crucial to the conclusion of the arc. Maybe throw in another accolade for good measure.

• Zden - since it's possible that a player may have discharged Veril shortly after she joins your crew, have a conditional dialog - if Veril is part of the player's BOff roster, either a cutscene or fly-in dialog box of Veril calling "Father!"; or, if Veril is not part of the BOff roster, have Zden recognize the player, thank him/her for saving him, and be informed that his daughter is safe as well with the RR fleet.

• D'Vex - As the next BOff that is essentially added to your roster, there could be a dialogue window where he too expresses graditude for his rescue, and offers to join the player's crew. Optional dialog options could include him noting that there is nothing left to rebuild at Virinat, and the fact that the player can keep his old helmet in his/her ready room.

At the very least, a few additional non-voiced fly-in speech boxes would make for satisfying ending to their stories.

mattdawson 05-12-2013 04:15 PM

I agree. Especially with Rinna Khev, I was all... "that's it?"

There's a huge chuck missing between the start (when he's hopeful of finding his sister) to nothing to finding her.

tpalelena 05-12-2013 04:19 PM

I agree too. This is a good idea.

vitzh 05-12-2013 04:27 PM

Could have her die? No happy reunion? More incentive to fight?

alikain 05-12-2013 04:38 PM

I totally agree with this. When I first played those mission and Rescue them I was like wait it that it I have theses bridge officer in my away team and they don't even have a dialog with their family. Tovan Khev at the beginning of the Romulan story asked you to help find her sister and when we did he got nothing to say. I even thought I will get his sister as either bridge officer or Duty officer.

tpalelena 05-12-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alikain (Post 9888171)
I totally agree with this. When I first played those mission and Rescue them I was like wait it that it I have theses bridge officer in my away team and they don't even have a dialog with their family. Tovan Khev at the beginning of the Romulan story asked you to help find her sister and when we did he got nothing to say. I even thought I will get his sister as either bridge officer or Duty officer.

Good idea, a new duty and bridge officer of good quality is always welcome.

silversera 05-12-2013 05:02 PM

This is by far my bigest disapointed in LoR as far as story goes. these "reunion" are so lame it's hard to find words to describe them.

I just can't believe that Rhinna doesn't become a boff for us, I thought that was a given. Can you imagine that with all the designer working at cryptic not one thought about it :" hey guys, I have a super cool idea ,let's have rhinna join the bridge as a counterpart to her brother".

maxvitor 05-12-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitzh (Post 9887981)
Could have her die? No happy reunion? More incentive to fight?

^To be honest, this actually makes a lot of sense, once these particular people are found your motley crew really doesn't have much reason to stay together. Remember these are all volunteers and you aren't the Romulan military of old where the Tal'shiar would go after your family if you go AWOL.

f2pdrakron 05-12-2013 05:29 PM

I am sorry but when I started to play Star Trek:The Adventure Game with co-op and always online DRM?

I am not being nice because simply what you are asking is exactly that, the Romulan arc is too character focused and goes even beyond your character but also tries to shoehorn Bridge Officers into that, this leads to the homogenization of Romulan characters that will have exactly the same BOs, there goes a large part of being a unique character.

I understand some of the comments but I dont WANT to this being relegated into a melodramatic soap opera in space, this isnt ME series and this SHOUDNT be the direction STO should go because its a MMO, fighting homogenization should be a priority instead of being embraced as its the only path because if that is true then congratulations, I won the game several months ago.

Yes, its low key but you people are saying "you know what we need? more Tovan Khev type characters" that simply overshadow my character making my character redudant on what should be my story, also this should be about the ROMULAN REPUBLIC story instead we just get "oh, you found New Romulus" and that it.

My complain is not about this, those characters are not MY characters, whatever they do ... I dont need to see it and I sure as hell dont want every Bridge Officer being as intrisive as Tovan Khev, whatever he does with his sister is not my character concern, the reason why its so disjointed is because they made a big deal out of it and then realized people didnt have to make tag along in away missions, the so called "Freedom" arc is God damn joke.

So here are the options, you make Veril as mandatory as Tovan Khev and make those two MANDATORY on away missions or you remove their heavy focus in the game.

You cannot have your cake and eat it too ... and I rather have MY Character and MY Crew and having then shoved down my throat.

dave18193 06-05-2013 04:39 PM

To the op: please put plot spoilers in one of those hidden box things, or at least put a spoiler warning in the title. I saw your post just before I played the mission (meant to click the thread above), and caught the first sentence before I realised it was spoileriffic. Not cool

Anyway, having now played the mission I couldnt agree more. Such an anticlimax plot wise. I'd like to see more of Veril anyway, and that she has no dialogue/mention is silly.

@f2pdrakron:

I personally love Veril, Tovan, Satra and D'vex. Don't like Hiven as much, don;t know why.

But I agree with you, how hard would it be to add an off switch (for those who want to tell their own stories) on Tovan, and let us reclaim them if we dismiss them, perhaps by replaying the appropriate mission. He should be dismissable though for those who dont like him.

For Tovan, why not just give us the choice to either have him in cutscenes, voiced, whether or not he's in our roster or if he should be substitued by an original npc like Nadel.

That way everyone is happy for a minimum effort. Those who like the cryptic stuff can keep it, those who want to build their own can get rid without losing anything.