Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Feedback/Suggestion concerning the new Warp Cores (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=674821)

cmdrskyfaller 05-13-2013 12:27 PM

Feedback/Suggestion concerning the new Warp Cores
 
Devs,

While reading the blog I realized that even though the game will give existing ships a standard warp core it will not be giving any benefit to those that purchased their ships via c-store.

... and this is something critical since the warp cores could literally be the one thing you guys can use to revamp & balance the old Cstore ships and bring them up to speed sort of speaking with the more modern cstore releases.

For example, you cannot compare in any way or form the Vesta against the D'kyr or Nebula starships. The consoles and limited capability of the Nebula and D'kyr are from pre-F2P times and as such the ships are horribly obsolete in performance and capability compared to a Vesta.

Not that I'm asking these ships be buffed to Vesta status.. but there is a rather big gap between these vessels.

This is where Warp Cores could make the difference.

For example, the T5 Nebula could be given a unique, Nebula-Only warp core that instead of being engineering-based bonuses it would give science-based bonuses. The article mentioned the romulan cores give bonuses to sci stats like graviton, particle, etc... well why not give the ADVANCED RESEARCH science vessel a warp core that.. well... does science?

Make it be based on the ship's power settings. The more power to one system the more stat boost it gives the ship.

Weapon Power: Increases Subspace Decompiler stat (synergizes with subsystem attacks)
Shield Power: Increases Shield Systems & Power Insulator stats
Engine Power: Increases shield emitter, graviton and particle generator stats
Aux Power: Increases flow capacitor, sensor and countermeasures stats.

The bonus amount per power level is up to you. I'm guessing something like 1 power = 1 stat boost? That way 100 power is +100 to a stat?

The D'Kyr could have something similar or identical. I would prefer a more vulcan oriented benefit from its warp core (like, boost the pet healing/shield repair,etc).

Each C-store ship should have a tailored warp core for its function/theme. The older the ship is the more benefits it should receive and the newer the ship is (aka Vesta) the less benefits over picking a warp core that can be purchased or quested. The whole point is to use the warp cores to bring up the older ships to the same bar as the newer ones.

sparhawk 05-13-2013 04:12 PM

Seems reasonable, but I've seen no indication from my Tribble testing that this was even an consideration by Cryptic.

f2pdrakron 05-13-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparhawk (Post 9909751)
Seems reasonable, but I've seen no indication from my Tribble testing that this was even an consideration by Cryptic.

Well its not reasonable because what he proposes is making so if you have a Zen Store ship you would not bother with Warp/Singularity Cores because the one that come with the ship would be tailored specifically for the ship.

Naturally they dont want that because they have to adapt cores after releases since its a new mechanic and if they were on pay ships you can guess what would happened if nerfed and also because doing so would remove any reasoning to remove the core that cone with the ship making the entire system redundant.

And before anyone comes with "it would only be for this ships" I would like to remind if they did for one ship this would lead to everyone asking "were my core Cryptic" for their ships.

sparhawk 05-13-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f2pdrakron (Post 9910531)
Well its not reasonable because what he proposes is making so if you have a Zen Store ship you would not bother with Warp/Singularity Cores because the one that come with the ship would be tailored specifically for the ship.

Naturally they dont want that because they have to adapt cores after releases since its a new mechanic and if they were on pay ships you can guess what would happened if nerfed and also because doing so would remove any reasoning to remove the core that cone with the ship making the entire system redundant.

And before anyone comes with "it would only be for this ships" I would like to remind if they did for one ship this would lead to everyone asking "were my core Cryptic" for their ships.

Difference of opinion. I strongly suspect Cryptic will start selling warp/singularity cores via multiple methods eventually (C-Store, lock boxes, Lobi Store).

cmdrskyfaller 05-13-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f2pdrakron (Post 9910531)
Well its not reasonable because what he proposes is making so if you have a Zen Store ship you would not bother with Warp/Singularity Cores because the one that come with the ship would be tailored specifically for the ship.

Tailored doesn't mean it has to be the best for it. The warp cores are no different than consoles: their benefit depends largely on the player's build/setup rather than the ship itself.

In this case the Nebula would come with a core that boosts all sci stats depending on power levels... but there are warp cores that might offer better options depending on the player's needs (shield resist cores? weapon damage? etc).

Quote:

Naturally they dont want that because they have to adapt cores after releases since its a new mechanic and if they were on pay ships you can guess what would happened if nerfed and also because doing so would remove any reasoning to remove the core that cone with the ship making the entire system redundant.
Again, its no different than c-store consoles.

Quote:

And before anyone comes with "it would only be for this ships" I would like to remind if they did for one ship this would lead to everyone asking "were my core Cryptic" for their ships.
Thats why I'm saying this would only be for cstore ships. Heck perhaps even limit it to T5 ships since the T1-4's have the share-able consoles.

f2pdrakron 05-13-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller (Post 9914071)
Tailored doesn't mean it has to be the best for it. The warp cores are no different than consoles: their benefit depends largely on the player's build/setup rather than the ship itself.

No offense but when you are tailoring it you are doing exactly that.

Quote:

In this case the Nebula would come with a core that boosts all sci stats depending on power levels... but there are warp cores that might offer better options depending on the player's needs (shield resist cores? weapon damage? etc).
Cores dont offer that, when you put "stat boosting power vs battery" guess what wins?

Warp cores offer a power bonus, the very rare ones offer some kind of battery power, not offering anything you are suggesting.

Quote:

Again, its no different than c-store consoles.
Power cores just offer power boosts, consoles offers abilities but with a price ... the Defiant Cloak is just a normal cloak and takes the place of something that could boost a lot of things but the thing is no Core takes place of anything, its the same as a weapon and they dont sell weapons that are obvious superior to everything, they are balanced so they dont overshadow the Mk XII purple drops or Fleet gear.

Even the Aux DHCs of the Vesta are balanced on the fact you can only mount 3 and as they take Aux power instead of Weapons the rear weapons are starved unless they are projectile,

Quote:

Thats why I'm saying this would only be for cstore ships. Heck perhaps even limit it to T5 ships since the T1-4's have the share-able consoles.
What I am saying is those Cores are simply overshadowing normal cores to the point its not a option because you are boosting skills with them and power management is not really a problem right now, especially for engs that can just EPS Power Transfer and so boost every single thing on the ship for 30 seconds, we would have go from AP:A is OP to EPS is OP on pay ships.

I remind you are putting this on pay ships and so P2W.

cmdrskyfaller 05-13-2013 08:17 PM

I'm putting this example on an OLD cstore ship because it is obsolete. The abilities of this for-nebula only warp core is to 'up it' in performance so it can at least be useful. Newer sci ships in cstore like the vesta would get a very weak custom warp core in comparison.

dknight0001 05-15-2013 12:37 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the intention for you to buy the Fleet Nebula to get it up spec. And if you own the original besides the console you don't have to pay the Fleet Modules.

warpangel 05-15-2013 09:30 AM

1. Very few ships have custom deflectors/shields/engines. Why should they have custom warp cores?
2. There is no profit in giving free upgrades for ships you bought ages ago.

cmdrskyfaller 05-15-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dknight0001 (Post 9941081)
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the intention for you to buy the Fleet Nebula to get it up spec. And if you own the original besides the console you don't have to pay the Fleet Modules.

The fleet nebula is the same obsolete garbage as the T5 nebula. The obsolete-ness comes from the bridge officer stations and the T3&T5 nebula consoles never having worked (the stats they boost have never been fixed).

This warp core makes the Nebula the only science ship with a big boost to sci stats and which can change said boosts based on power levels... which 'ups' its performance enough to compensate for the anemic boff stations (think about it.. its an 'advanced research vessel' that has poorest science boff slots..it makes no sense).

The older and less capable the Cstore ship is, the stronger its custom warp core. Newer ships like the vesta receive a not so capable core.

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpangel (Post 9949051)
1. Very few ships have custom deflectors/shields/engines. Why should they have custom warp cores?
2. There is no profit in giving free upgrades for ships you bought ages ago.

1- Because it would be another selling point of c-store ships?
2- Yes there is. The ships are still on the c-store and I bet you they have not been selling well (if at all) because the newer ships outperform them by orders of magnitude. Why would you buy a Nebula when you can buy a Vesta?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:18 PM.