I enjoy star trek online, and to be honest I have never made it to end game content yet. I'm planing on rolling a Romulan in a couple of days time, and I was wondering what your thoughts are on which side would be better to ally with and why.
Does either side bring something to a Romulan captain via items only obtainable from one faction? Or consoles ect. I can't imagine ships would really come into it since, you can't command anything higher then T4.
So please just drop in and let me know what you guys are planning to choose and why.
Different storylines, I believe. And of course KDF Romulans can't access Earth Spacedock, while Fed Romulans can't go to the First City.
I'm pretty torn. I've never had a KDF character (and never wanted one, besides really wanting to make a Gorn), but I could team with my Fed friends on a Fed Romulan.
And yes, any consoles or gear that comes from, say, C-Store ships lower than T5 are usable by Romulans.
The storylines only differ mildly since you don't actually play your ally's missions aside from Featured Episodes and events. You can team with friends on their missions but won't get the faction mission rewards like the Shard Sword of Kahless. It's basically just a social feature.
The big differences are:
- You can use your allied faction's ships while leveling. (But have to buy them on the C-Store or pay dilithium.)
- This does mean consoles from T1-T4 C-Store ships are available depending on which faction you allied with. Klingons have better C-Store consoles.
- You can use allied faction bridge officers. In practice, this might mean you'd want humans and Saurians for space (and would benefit from humans being relatively common). Klingon side, you'd want Letheans for space. This is assuming you don't want Romulans. On the ground, the best BOs are available to both factions anyway (photonic MACO, android, Jem'Hadar.)
You can (last I checked) use both a Reman Borg BO and a Federation/Klingon Borg BO.
In general, Klingons will give you better "cheap" ground BOs whereas Federation will give you better "cheap" space BOs. But when you're looking at the best and most expensive, it's about the same.
- Which STF gear you get will vary by faction that you've allied with. Both sides can get the other side's gear, stat-wise, in the adapted sets but it takes longer to get.
- You will make dilithium faster KDF side, especially if you play with DOffs. But your PvP queues and fleet event queues will probably be longer.
- Big difference? What fleet you can join. And what fleet actions you can do. And what Foundry missions you can do.
What character(s) do you already have? You might like to choose a different character class in order to experiment with a new play style.
PS. Check out this thread, on a similar topic: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=686501
Edit: Seems like I've been ninja'd by someone more informed! The post above is useful.
- more mature players
- KDF has disruptors as fleet weapons which is also a Romulan canon weapon type
- the story ... the mission where you decide which side to join ... the FED's are just pathetic there
- KDF also has cloaking
- better DOFFing experience ;)
- better dailies
only downside - the queues need longer to pop up. this i hope will change after LOR goes live.
If you join the Feds, you get a wider variety of fleets with finished starbases, a larger community (for good and bad).
Klingons get you a better (but far more elitist) PVP community, a broken Plasmatic Leech console that they all VERY loudly complained about until they were the only ones who got to exploit it, and marauding, which definitely is nice.
Other than that, factions are nothing but customization options and some minor episode dialog.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:12 AM.|