Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   To Explore Strange New Worlds (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=698471)

javaman1969 05-22-2013 02:08 PM

To Explore Strange New Worlds

I guess I'm about half way through the "Klingon War" story arc now. After I finish this, and before I get involved with the next one, I'd like to spend some time doing the "...second star to the right and straight on 'til morning" thing. So, if I'm interested in "five year mission" type stuff, and looking to run into random weird entities, or uncontacted civilizations, which may lead to self contained stories and decisions related to the prime directive, etc. what are my best options in the game?

bluegrassgeek 05-22-2013 02:45 PM

Head off into the nebulae and vast open regions (ie. those things at the end or side of blocks, like Delta Volanis or the Zenas Expanse). You can pick up a couple daily missions to explore 3 systems & earn dilithium for it.

The missions are a real mix, some use standard races, others are purely randomized. You might get a space investigation mission, or a ground "scan X things" mission, or a "explore these caves / outpost." Oh, and of course, combat missions. It's really the closest thing to exploring strange new worlds in-game.

kirkson2 05-22-2013 02:45 PM

Unexplored nebulas

psycoticvulcan 05-22-2013 02:49 PM

Exploration in STO is fairly crappy, I'm afraid. There are bunch of randomized mini-missions in the exploration clusters, but most of those are just "kill 5/5 ships", "scan 5/5 plants", etc. For gripping stories I'd recommend Foundry missions, when they become playable again.

vermisky 05-23-2013 07:51 AM

Hmm yeah don't bother with these unless you want a change of pace. They offer crappy rewards/SP too..

xyzyzx 05-23-2013 12:34 PM

Speaking of which,

How is the new Klingon start up and story and quest line from 1-14,30?

better then just starting from 24?

bluegrassgeek 05-24-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xyzyzx (Post 10272101)
Speaking of which,

How is the new Klingon start up and story and quest line from 1-14,30?

better then just starting from 24?

From what i played on Tribble, it's fantastic. :)

aelfwin1 05-25-2013 04:42 PM

STO does not offer the type of exploration you're looking for .
If interested , you can repost your OP in the Foundry discussion forum , and ask for recommendations for story themes you'd like to play , such as first contact stories .

For example , look up author Alimac30 in the Foundry .

jonsills 05-25-2013 09:03 PM

Yeah, if you're looking for old-school TOS-style adventures, I'm afraid your best bet is to pick up a copy of GURPS Prime Directive and round up some players and a GM. (Come on, you're already being a nerd by playing a Star Trek game - is a tabletop RPG that much worse for your street cred?)

javaman1969 05-26-2013 07:11 PM

I would definitely improve my nerd cred.