Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Reboot this Movie part 4: The Batman franchise (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=738581)

hawkwing43 06-06-2013 11:17 AM

Reboot this Movie part 4: The Batman franchise

The last movie that was on the block, Galaxy of terror, didn't get much play. But in the end I have to agree, it's not that great of a movie, even if it's a TV movie it might not get ratings.

So that brings me to my next choice, the Batman Franchise, and I think it's time to do it justice.

So.......

You have been give the green light to make a New Batman movie, and what direction you go in is totally up to you. Base on the money made from the older films, the studio has given you a huge budget to work from, has lined up top name actors to be in the film, and wants you to expand the Batman universe. Meaning use more Heros/ Villians in each telling of the story.

You will be give a 3 movie deal, so fellow fans. What would you do with a reboot of The Batman Franchise?

lordmalak1 06-06-2013 11:23 AM

I dunno, there's so many good thing in Batmans world, and many bad things done to it thru the many movies made. I'de be very hesitant to do yet another reboot, but how good can 3 more movies be without Batmans classic villians Joker, Riddler, 2face, etc. that haven't been killed off numerous time already ?

I REALLY have to give this one some thought, stay tuned.

voyagerfan9751 06-06-2013 11:29 AM

From what I have seen/heard The Chris Nolan reboot was awesome. I think we need to leave well enough alone on this and not reboot Batman for the 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999th time.

scruffyvulcan 06-06-2013 11:46 AM

While the Nolan Batman franchise was awesome, I'd love to see Batman go back to his comic book roots. The Arkham games have proven that you can have that larger-than-life comic book world while still retaining the dark tone of Batman.

I'd also like to see one film iteration of Batman where he looks physically menacing. The "every man can be Batman" thing has been done (and done well). I'd like to see an Arkham City style Batman... or even a Frank Miller style Batman, where you look at him and immediately think, "That's not someone I want to mess with."

lordmalak1 06-06-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scruffyvulcan (Post 10658211)
While the Nolan Batman franchise was awesome, I'd love to see Batman go back to his comic book roots. The Arkham games have proven that you can have that larger-than-life comic book world while still retaining the dark tone of Batman.

I'd also like to see one film iteration of Batman where he looks physically menacing. The "every man can be Batman" thing has been done (and done well). I'd like to see an Arkham City style Batman... or even a Frank Miller style Batman, where you look at him and immediately think, "That's not someone I want to mess with."

Frank Millers Batman (Gothsin city)
:eek:
NICE !!!

The animated series redone in live action with Frank Millers direction and 'sin city' flavor would be how I would want a 'reboot' done.

drowrulesupreme 06-06-2013 11:52 AM

See, I wouldn't do another trilogy. I'd aim for some stand-alone movies/spin-offs.

A long time ago I read a Batman called "The Player on the Other Side".
It featured a character who called himself The Wraith.
Whereas Bruce Wayne had his parents killed by a criminal and grew up to loathe criminals, The Wraith watched his parents killed by a cop and grew up to loathe authority.
The Wraith's skills (and indeed his suit) match Batman's almost entirely. He has money from his role as an assassin for hire, has trained extensively around the world in one criminal organisation or another and Batman describes him as his equal.
The Wraith only appeared in the one comic, that I know of, but he has always stuck in my mind as the best villain for a finale... the kind of villain who can do everything Batman can, but with no compunctions about taking innocent life.

I would also love to see Batman Vs. Predator given some on screen time as the series in the graphic novels was awesome and pitted the Bat against the ultimate hunter.

If you had to do a trilogy, I'd do Knightfall. First movie sets Batman up for Bane to break him and for Azrael to take over the Mantle. Second movie is Azrael as the Bat and Bruce Wayne trying to heal. Third film is Bruce healed but trying to rediscover what made him so good as Batman before coming back to Gotham to take the Mantle back from Azrael who has killed in the name of Batman.

steamwright 06-06-2013 12:25 PM

I'd give the main mythos of Batman a rest, and do at least one film on Batman Beyond. I understand they're making a new animated series of this, anyway.

Pull a Firefly and issue in the first Batman Beyond film at the end of this new animated series. You'll still have Bruce, but will likely cast an older actor. And you'll be bringing a new audience to BB, one that has heard of the show, and will attend out of curiosity. And Bruce can still throw down in the movie, just less often, as the animated show demonstrated.

hevach 06-06-2013 12:27 PM

Batman needs a reboot the same way Hulk got his. The origin is well known, even without being reinforced by the previous movie being so recent. They just added a bit of context and picked up with Bruce Banner already in hiding trying to control his anger.

We don't need the origin. Everybody knows Batman's origins. His partents are dead, and he squanders his fantastic wealth on tools that help him work out his anger on the criminals of Gotham City, and while he doesn't kill his enemies, unlike many heroes who share that rule anything remotely survivable is fair game.

This literally doesn't need to be covered again. We know it. The work's already done.

If Man of Steel* leads to a Justice League franchise to go up against Avengers, even if Batman is radically reinvisioned from what he was in the Nolan movies, what should simply happen is that Batman should just show up, either in his own movie or a shared movie with the rest. Save the movie setup for the villain - if it's an iconic villain, introduce them in person committing a crime. If it's a less well known one, introduce them indirectly with the police at a crime scene discussing his MO and basic history. Then cut to Bruce Wayne being Bruce Wayne, bat signal, Alfred says something, batcave, and we're there. Exposition done, Batman is now free to start punching people.

*-we also know Superman's whole thing, too. Everyone knows he's from Krypton, Krypton was destroyed, he came to Earth on a space pod as a baby and was raised by humans. A lot of finer points aren't as well known, but that's pretty much enough that anyone who see's a movie and Superman shows up isn't going to question how he got there.

scruffyvulcan 06-06-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordmalak1 (Post 10658271)
Frank Millers Batman (Gothsin city)
:eek:
NICE !!!

The animated series redone in live action with Frank Millers direction and 'sin city' flavor would be how I would want a 'reboot' done.

Well, I was thinking more of The Dark Knight Returns by Miller, which is - in my opinion - the quintessential Batman. Nolan pulled a lot from that book, but I'd like to see the overall look of Batman be a mix of him in that book and him in Arkham.

scruffyvulcan 06-06-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevach (Post 10658951)
Batman needs a reboot the same way Hulk got his. The origin is well known, even without being reinforced by the previous movie being so recent. They just added a bit of context and picked up with Bruce Banner already in hiding trying to control his anger.

We don't need the origin. Everybody knows Batman's origins. His partents are dead, and he squanders his fantastic wealth on tools that help him work out his anger on the criminals of Gotham City, and while he doesn't kill his enemies, unlike many heroes who share that rule anything remotely survivable is fair game.

This literally doesn't need to be covered again. We know it. The work's already done.

If Man of Steel* leads to a Justice League franchise to go up against Avengers, even if Batman is radically reinvisioned from what he was in the Nolan movies, what should simply happen is that Batman should just show up, either in his own movie or a shared movie with the rest. Save the movie setup for the villain - if it's an iconic villain, introduce them in person committing a crime. If it's a less well known one, introduce them indirectly with the police at a crime scene discussing his MO and basic history. Then cut to Bruce Wayne being Bruce Wayne, bat signal, Alfred says something, batcave, and we're there. Exposition done, Batman is now free to start punching people.

*-we also know Superman's whole thing, too. Everyone knows he's from Krypton, Krypton was destroyed, he came to Earth on a space pod as a baby and was raised by humans. A lot of finer points aren't as well known, but that's pretty much enough that anyone who see's a movie and Superman shows up isn't going to question how he got there.

I totally agree that origin stories for Superman, Batman, and Spider-man (and a few other iconic characters) are a complete waste of screen time.