Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   shaderCache.hogg slowing down your Launcher's patching? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=738971)

pwebranflakes 06-06-2013 03:21 PM

shaderCache.hogg slowing down your Launcher's patching?

Hi Captains,

If you notice that the file "shaderCache.hogg" has been taking longer to patch, feel free to delete the file "shaderCache.hogg" from this location (or the location similar that holds the '\Star Trek Online\' folder):

C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\cache

Next time you launch the game, before the character select screen, it will automatically put the latest version of the file back into the above listed folder, and *should* allow for the file to patch much faster in the future.

Hope that helps :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

trhrangerxml 06-06-2013 04:05 PM

or for those of us using Steam:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live\cache

trekie564 06-06-2013 06:46 PM

thanks. i'll try it.

nanomorph 06-07-2013 02:28 AM

Might be worth stickying this thread, branflakes.

gabesouto 06-07-2013 07:06 AM

I'll try it anyway, just to be on the safe side. :o

rollabob 06-07-2013 06:05 PM

I just tried this to correct my issues. I open the patched file window with ctrl x and I watch the ShaderCache file download to 100 percent hang for a couple milliseconds then start the download again on an infinite loop.

Tried force verify and redownloading the launcher and all the usual tricks but still no dice. This happens to me about once a week and it is always a patch that just lists server stability in the notes. The only solution I have found so far is to uninstall and reinstall the game which is getting both tiresome and bandwith heavy.

Any help would be appreciated.

afree100 06-07-2013 09:36 PM

Just deleted the entire cache folder and it not only speed up my loading but got rid of the shader error as well, perhaps the devs updated the shaders and game still tried to use the cache and it was generating errors. I have also noticed soft particles also causes more glitches than its worth (esp since it drops performance), including stuffing up earths atmosphere at certain angles and causing AA to draw a huge ugly border around stuff in certain areas. (Edit: oops my bad nothing to do with AA, thought it was, but a perfect place to see the effects of the border is in the shiny nebula to the left orbiting earth (as in place your ship in it)).

Edit (a few weeks after): actually I am not sure that it got rid of the shader error since doing the same thing on tribble (with the cache folder) didn't fix it, perhaps I was confused between the two at the time.

gavriil1983 06-25-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trhrangerxml (Post 10662741)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live\cache

just saw this post. TY for the tip! definitely a better result (I'm testing by patching tribble)!

lee22874 08-26-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trhrangerxml (Post 10662741)

Hey Branflakes,
My client just started doing this and I tried to fix it your way and still not working!

tongi02 08-27-2013 05:16 AM

Can you fix it?

The weird thing is that I could access the Tribble and Champions with np problem...It's getting back into STO is the BIG problem!:(