Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Federation Fleet Alert and Sub Level 50 Players (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=747511)

khamseenair 06-12-2013 07:07 AM

Federation Fleet Alert and Sub Level 50 Players

Ok, so during the fleet mark weeks a long while back, at lot of the Fleet missions were opened up to all levels. Sadly though, Federation Fleet Alert has never been changed back to being for level 50 players only. I'm curious as to why this is?

I mean it's kind of stupid, yesterday I was the only player in a match that was level 50 and the other four on the team were all between level 16 and 20... We didn't stand a bloody chance, it took us half the time allotted just to get the first two waves cleared. It didn't help that one of them came in, cloaked, and then just sat there doing nothing.

This is a good mission for fleet marks, when all the players are level 50, but when sub level 50 players come in it just goes to hell and then you can't run it again because it's on cooldown.

kiloace 06-14-2013 07:20 AM

They should make a Vice Admiral rank version in addition to the regular, exclusively for 50's.

shockwave85 06-14-2013 07:28 AM

I think the original concept of these missions was that they would function similar to the Borg Red Alerts. You'd get an alert, and all available fleet members would jump in to defend your base, freighters, whatever. For whatever reason, that didn't pan out and they just became public queues. Unfortunately, they still didn't level gate the missions, but they did make them fixed 5-man (or 4x 5-man) groups. Those two things don't really go together.

The public queue for these missions should really function like the Fleet Action queues, and put you into a level gated group according to your rank (Lt, Lt. Cdr, Cdr, Cap, Adm). That would end the frustration with that aspect. Of course, you will still have the griefers who will be full Vice Admirals but fly in with a Connie or Miranda, or just sit and AFK. That's a separate issue.

timelord79 06-14-2013 10:09 AM

I would love it if they had two versions of the fleet alert events.

The queue version level based and actual Red Alert style fleet wide missions with fleet mark bonus compared to the queue version.

One alert would help pretty much fill the entire fleet mark bar of a low-mid level project.
And you would get a different one randomly once per hour.

if not enough people respond you could call in fleet outsiders per map invite like on the social map anytime during a match.

lan451 06-14-2013 10:26 AM

Would be nice to get some level banding here.

Had one yesterday that just left me shaking my head.

Warp into base and see a TOS Connie and a Captain level Galaxy. We didn't make it past wave 3 lol. What left me shaking my head was not so much that they didn't have the firepower to kill things fast enough, it was that everyone else aside from me kept blowing up. Like constantly. Once wave 3 hit, I was literally the only one left alive for about a minute there. Obviously one fleet dhelan isn't going to work against a whole fleet of angry Nausicaans, so I backed off. The Connie and the Galaxy bum rushed the fleet immediately after respawn and died again. At that point I just cloaked and chilled off to the side since we had about 1 minute left on the clock. Haven't seen anything quite that bad before. And this isn't even an ESTF, just a normal easy fleet alert.

So yeah, level banding prz.

lucho80 06-14-2013 10:35 AM

Romulan enemy fleet alert + bad player mix = 80% named ship destroying fail rate.

khamseenair 06-14-2013 01:35 PM

As a few of you have suggested, having it open to everyone but having a level gate would be a great alternative. It's so infuriating when you sit waiting for the queue to come up, eventually get in and then realise you don't stand a hope in hell of winning because the others on your team are way too low a level.

When will they realise that a level 16 ship with two phaser arrays and one torp, even if they are "playing at level 50" does not equate to the same fire power as a ship with 3-4 forward and 3 aft weapon slots.

It's also slightly selfish of the low level players who still go into this event, knowing that they can't actually make a difference in it but will cause it to fail for everyone else on their team. Personally, I only ever queue for level appropriate missions when levelling a toon.

sollvax 06-14-2013 01:40 PM

Simple answers

1 block all VA characters from public queues and scale for Captains

2 only allow fleet teams

3 only grant marks at all for those who are still there when the timer runs down , warp out get NOTHING

zombiedeadheaded 06-14-2013 01:41 PM

LOL at all you 'pros' complaining about an Easy level going wrong. if your so good, why are you in an easy level?

It's not the 'noobs' who shouldn't be there (it's where you learn the first steps), it's you.

latiasracer 06-14-2013 01:44 PM

The easiest solution to this is...

Have it level based like the normal pve's (I.e, if you are lvl 7 you get put in with a team of 1-10's and enemy's scaled to you) therefore you dont get underpowered ships trying to fight targets intended for max level characters. However, you could bypass this by creating a private instance, should you want to play with lower levels from your fleet.