Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Are Saurian, Tellarite and Pakled redundant species? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=752711)

tilarta 06-15-2013 04:50 PM

Are Saurian, Tellarite and Pakled redundant species?

I've been wondering why I've seen so few Saurians, Tellarites and Pakleds in comparison to the many other species.

Do the players just not like to create them?

Makes me wonder why they were included at all if the above case is true.

I mean, they're minor races at best, hardly more then cameo appearances.

sollvax 06-15-2013 04:53 PM

Tellarites are one of the original federation founder races

starkaos 06-15-2013 04:55 PM

It is because they are limited and don't have much impact. People generally go for the human like or completely alien characters. Both are in abundance in STO. These races have never made a huge impact in Star Trek. I suppose if one of these races had a memorable character like Quark, Rom, or Nog in the Star Trek series, then we would be seeing more of them.

voporak 06-15-2013 05:18 PM

That's why bug fixes and other stuff don't get done quickly, because there aren't very many Pakleds to make things go. :P

questerius 06-15-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starkaos (Post 10858791)
It is because they are limited and don't have much impact. People generally go for the human like or completely alien characters. Both are in abundance in STO. These races have never made a huge impact in Star Trek. I suppose if one of these races had a memorable character like Quark, Rom, or Nog in the Star Trek series, then we would be seeing more of them.

This is the most likely cause. In addition their traits are ground based and not the best ground based traits either.

They're being outclassed with regard to ground traits.

f2pdrakron 06-15-2013 06:42 PM

Actually Saurian is a decent race, their racial is not that bad either, Pakled is also pretty decent and so do Tellarite that can just remove confuse with a activatable ability.

Problem is ... these are recent changes, also a lot of people are using outdated information of when back (almost) everyone rolled a Alien because of space traits.

Now considering how long some people have those characters and the investment they did in Season 7 with the Reputation system and things are tied its no wonder the situation remains, as the game is so Alt unfriendly they will stick with their characters until at least re-race token is avaible.

deaftravis05 06-15-2013 06:56 PM

I was debating between tellarite and bajorans. Bajoran won out because of its healing abilities.

crusty8mac 06-15-2013 07:29 PM

My Saurian was my first toon, and main character. He has efficient as a trait.

tilarta 06-15-2013 11:17 PM

I knew someone would play the Efficient Trait card at some point! :rolleyes:
Mind you, I don't believe it's that useful.

To quote a line from a movie:

Quote:

If you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it
You can add whatever skills/traits/combat augmentations you want, but if you're not a good player, all of that is meaningless.

Plus, if you want Efficient, play a Liberated Borg instead, they're much more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. ;)

Yes, I know Tellarites are one of the Founding Federation species, but that's about all I know.
I'm not sure if their role has ever been expanded beyond that one fact.

Pakled I can't even make sense of, they had one episode of TNG and that qualifies them to be a playable species? :confused:

logicalspock 06-16-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tilarta (Post 10861811)
I knew someone would play the Efficient Trait card at some point! :rolleyes:
Mind you, I don't believe it's that useful.

To quote a line from a movie:

You can add whatever skills/traits/combat augmentations you want, but if you're not a good player, all of that is meaningless.

Plus, if you want Efficient, play a Liberated Borg instead, they're much more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. ;)

Yes, I know Tellarites are one of the Founding Federation species, but that's about all I know.
I'm not sure if their role has ever been expanded beyond that one fact.

Pakled I can't even make sense of, they had one episode of TNG and that qualifies them to be a playable species? :confused:

Pakleds actually appeared or were mentioned in quite a number of episodes of Star Trek, although they were only substantial to the plot in a single episode.

Of course, the Gorn only appeared in one episode and had a cameo in another, yet it is one of the more popular KDF races, as opposed to the Letheans, who are much less popular.

Not surprisingly, Saurians, Rigelians, Tellarites, Pakleds, and Benzites, who rarely appeared in Star Trek, are not that popular.

Borg, Trills, Vulcans and strangely, Catians, are much more popular while Andorians, Bajorans, Betazoids, Bolians, Ferengi, Klingons are occassionally seen at ESD.