Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (
-   -   STO killed my PC (

Archived Post 01-21-2010 05:17 PM

STO killed my PC
Hey has anyone had their PC die running this game?
my computer ran it fine for two days and then it stopped working altogether:mad:
so now it wont even turn on. is it even possible for a program to fry my system.
the fans and lights come on but nothing else.

Archived Post 01-21-2010 05:21 PM

Ouch, that dont sound good :( The game is known to cause overheating and from your response it sounds like it might have affected your PC :( I'd let it cool down a bit then try to restart it. I would suggest checking the CPU and GPU heatsinks but that can be a tricky process. Also check your fans, cleaning them if needed. Also clean any other debris located inside the PC casing.

Archived Post 01-21-2010 05:23 PM

Checked that
Yeah my system is a little old but all the fans look good and are clean.

AMD 64 3200+
2gb ddr2 800
gforce 7300 gt

Archived Post 01-21-2010 05:26 PM

It is quite some way below the recommended specs to run the game(and below the minimum specs),it could be your PC was running it's little heart out and just gave in.

Archived Post 01-21-2010 05:38 PM

I have a friend whose comp died from STO. It has an Athalon 3800+ and my original diagnosis was a fried proc. but after a little while it managed to turn on again and now dies when playing any game. The wierd part is, it's totally within acceptable perameters for CPU usage and temperatures on CPU and graphics card. I can't figure this out, but it's troublesome.

Anyway, yes the game runs hot and the devs have a temporary fix for it. go into the loader and in the options menu under advanced options enter the line "-perframesleep 10" and it'll cut the temp down by about 20% on average.

That's little consolation to you I know, but on the bright side it was really time for you to upgrade anyway. Check to see if your card is on a PCIe slot, if so pull the card and hard drive before you upgrade and transplant to save yourself some money.

Archived Post 01-21-2010 05:39 PM


Originally Posted by turbowombat (Post 1576332)
I have a friend whose comp died from STO. It has an Athalon 3800+ and my original diagnosis was a fried proc. but after a little while it managed to turn on again and now dies when playing any game. .

classic sign of overheating issues..

Archived Post 01-21-2010 06:22 PM

yes but it dies at 57C on any game now, that's far from overheating. If there were permanent damage, like it fried something, then it just wouldn't start.

Archived Post 01-21-2010 08:34 PM

Check for blown capacitors on your mobo and gfx crd. Replace where necessary with similar voltages and resistances.

Archived Post 01-21-2010 09:41 PM

In your box, on the motherboard, is a watch battery. This is called the CMOS battery. It's what saves your system settings, such as date and time, when your computer is unplugged.

Sometimes, when computers shut themselves down due to overheating(unless you're an advanced user able to shut off the safeties on your computer, it's literally impossible to damage your comp with heat... since it auto-shuts off), they wont turn back on properly.

Pulling the CMOS battery(while your comp is unplugged, otherwise it wont do a damned thing) will reset your system settings to default, hopefully allowing your computer to turn on again.

While you're in the case, I'd also work on taking an air duster to the insides. if you've had your comp awhile, and never cleaned it out, it's probably caked with dust, which insulates heat. Concentrate on your fans, and heat sinks.

Hopefully this helps. Oh, and as always, whenever working on your comp, make sure you are working on tiled or hardwood flooring, not carpeting, and touch the outside casing of your comp before messing with any inside parts before hand to disperse your static electricity.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:28 PM.