Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Duty Officer System and R&D (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=251)
-   -   duty officers bound to character, WHY ON EARTH?? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=762531)

cyllan2 06-23-2013 12:34 AM

duty officers bound to character, WHY ON EARTH??

I do not understand why officers you put on active become bound to character........i cant sell them, trade them , re-assign them.....nothing

all i can do when i don't need them anymore is to dismiss them even if they cost me dilthium to buy........

i cant see any reason for this but to boost sales of recruitment packs on the Zen exchanges
having started only 3 months ago i get the total impression that this game is far too greedy

in real cash terms......

are there any intentions of making changes to the DOFF system......because i am not spending a dollar more, this DOff THING is stupid beyond belief.

and i used to think cryptic were good.....

medtac124 06-23-2013 12:47 AM

It's been that way longer than the year or so I've been playing. Hate to say it but if this is what gets your goat you might as well just go find another game.

cyllan2 06-23-2013 01:46 AM

or....

or maybe a lot of people should complain so they change it.... dont you think?

admiraltrappitt 06-23-2013 06:48 AM

I actually don't mind it being bound to char. If you put it on active sapce duty, you don't need to get rid of it.
Also, do you really think that many people mind since no-one but you is complaining?

tcostik 06-23-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by admiraltrappitt (Post 10992641)
I actually don't mind it being bound to char. If you put it on active sapce duty, you don't need to get rid of it.
Also, do you really think that many people mind since no-one but you is complaining?

This isn't the first time I've seen posts complaining about doffs being bound. Personally I have no problem having boffs bound if you put them on active duty, but some are bound as soon as you recruit them-the DQ doff exchange, for example.

medtac124 06-23-2013 08:33 AM

Cryptic already has a tendency to create solutions where no problem exists. I would rather this not become one of those.

It ain't broken, it ain't a problem, leave it be.

lucho80 06-23-2013 09:46 AM

The OP's complaint comes from the lack of understanding of how to go around doffing correctly.
1) Never buy doffs with dil, you can get most of the good ones like VR projectile for free off colonial chains and those are also bound.
2) Run asylums with white refugees (match crit traits). Most of the time you'll get blue or better back.
3) If you want to get rid of a bound doff, throw him to the personnel officer for 3 lower tier ones. Sometimes the 3 blue are worth more in EC than the purple one you put in.

thunderfoot006 06-23-2013 10:34 AM

If I bound the wrong Doff, this might become a concern. I have worked hard to set up the right Doff team for each of my Captains. Once in awhile, I place a different weapon or console on a ship and then I need to change up the team a little. I might have between ten to fifteen character bound Doffs per toon. Kinda glad I cannot accidentally ship them off to the Starbase or trade them on the Exchange. Took a long time to get them.

cyllan2 06-23-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcostik (Post 10993411)
This isn't the first time I've seen posts complaining about doffs being bound. Personally I have no problem having boffs bound if you put them on active duty, but some are bound as soon as you recruit them-the DQ doff exchange, for example.

of course you need to get rid of them.......a green one is not as good as a purple one so you always upgrade them , also you might respec and need different abilities

thanks lucho90 for the suggestion, demoting them at least i can sell them....(i hope ).

warpangel 06-23-2013 12:28 PM

Binding only prevents you from doing things which would transfer the doff to another player/character. You can still use bound doffs for:

1. Up/downgrade at the personnel officer (as long as the doff didn't come from Ferra or his KDF counterpart)
2. Officer exchange assignments (as long as its not a civilian)
3. Fleet projects (if its a white doff)

You might have noticed from that you're out of luck if you've picked up civilians from Ferra. Don't do that unless you know you're going to keep them forever.

There are also some assignments that eat doffs, such as the final assingment of the gamma quadrant species colony chains, the ultra-rare "transfer changeling spy to starbase" and various KDF execution assignments. However, these are generally not worth putting anything but junk whites in.