Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Profanity filter stopping me posting a bio. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=766751)

mleprechaun 06-26-2013 07:54 AM

Profanity filter stopping me posting a bio.

I always like to add a bio to my main characters, just because it seems a little empty to leave it blank.

I also like to try to use the bio to explain why this officer is so skilled as to rise in rank from Lieutenant to Vice Admiral in under a year, so the bios usually include some sort of Starfleet Intelligence training, or extremely promising Academy marks, something like that, since an ordinary officer jumping in rank like that is not believable.

But this time, my Bio wont post, it states that it has profanity in it.

I have tried replacing any words i can think of that could possibly be tripping up the profanity filter with different phrasings, but none have fixed it. Here is the Bio (the words i tried changing are highlighted):

=====================

Born in 2360 William Grant lived an unremarkable life until joining the academy.

His performance in advanced problem solving and combat strategy caught Starfleet Intelligence's interest. He was recruited shortly after graduation as an operative.

Though much of his record with Starfleet Intelligence is classified, it is known that he received many commendations, and served under various aliases and ranks on at least 3 starships
U.s.s. Titan
U.s.s. Ranger A
U.s.s. Valiant A
Whilst under the guise of Lt Hammel on board USS Valiant A in 2395, the ship encountered a Borg cube. All crew were assimilated, and the ship itself was crippled beyond repair.

William Grant was recovered by Starfleet Intelligence as a priority in a mission designed to liberate several identified Starfleet personnel from the Borg in 2399.

At his own request, several removable Borg implants were kept in place and active, as they were "useful".

William Grant returned to service with Starfleet Intelligence after a long period of evaluation early in 2401, however, after demonstrating an unacceptable bias in Borg matters, he was returned to normal service in 2409.

Having never been officially promoted, and as much of his record could not be disclosed, he was given the rank of Lieutenant in command of U.s.s Ohio.

======================

I have searched for any kind of list of filtered words, i have tried looking for online profanity filters i could try running this bio through, both with no luck, and the only idea i have left is to post the entire bio in chat and see what it filters out, but that seems kind of extreme, and i would have to navigate away from this character creation screen to do it. (which is annoying as changing the bio in game costs credits that you dont get straight away)

Any ideas for what could be tripping up the filter, and WHY such a ridiculously strict filter is being used?

Update:

I went in game and posted out my entire bio in chat with profanity filter on, and it didnt filter ANY of the bio in chat. So why is it saying there is profanity when i try to post it as a bio??

som3one1 06-27-2013 07:20 AM

I suspect it detects things that are in words say titan or assimilated. Kinda stupid if it does but i have seen it somewhere else.

doffingcomrade 06-27-2013 08:36 AM

I'd suggest you just go through the thing and upload it sentence by sentence until it breaks. Whatever you thus added broke it.

And yes, the profanity filter is apparently utterly inane: They've apparently declared random numbers to be profane.

hevach 06-27-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doffingcomrade (Post 11076371)
I'd suggest you just go through the thing and upload it sentence by sentence until it breaks. Whatever you thus added broke it.

And yes, the profanity filter is apparently utterly inane: They've apparently declared random numbers to be profane.

All the random number strings I've found that are filtered are 1337speak spellings of legitimately filtered words. 1337's not quite the plague on humanity is used to be, but it's still the go-to filter dodge for trolls.

mleprechaun 06-27-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doffingcomrade (Post 11076371)

My character still cant afford to change the bio that many times.

sander233 06-27-2013 11:18 AM

I'm still mad that I can't name a ship the USS Philip K. ****. (Yes I know that his last name is censored here too.) And yet USS Affenschwanz (look it up) gets off scot free.

sander233 06-27-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mleprechaun (Post 11080061)
My character still cant afford to change the bio that many times.

Bio changes shouldn't cost you anything as long as you don't tamper with his name.

mleprechaun 06-28-2013 12:53 PM

Resolved

Ok, the issue is resolved, i did as you suggested, and found the word.

The "profanity" is "titan". Which is a dumbass thing to filter, seeing as U.s.s. Titan is part of Star Trek cannon.

I intend to write a bug report about it. (and yes, the profanity filter is EASY to get past once you know whats tripping it up, so i will be able to mention "titan" in the bug report)

f2pdrakron 06-28-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mleprechaun (Post 11105201)
The "profanity" is "titan". Which is a dumbass thing to filter, seeing as U.s.s. Titan is part of Star Trek cannon.

That is exactly why its on the filter, it just a catch all so people dont use canon ships or things that are problematic.

When I started I wanted to name one of my ships U.S.S. Monitor, apparently its on the list too ...

edthehero 06-28-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mleprechaun (Post 11105201)

Maybe it's because of the first three letters? ;)