Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Overzealous Profanity Filter (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=802131)

o1derfull1 07-23-2013 02:04 PM

Overzealous Profanity Filter

I have named my new corvette the Ex Gratia, with is a legal term, litterally translated to "of/from favor" which I thought fitting based on the lohlunat favors that feature prominently in the event.

I wanted to pick the R.X.S. prefix, just because it's different but was prevented from doing so as "profanity is prohibited". It took me a minute to figure out what the filter was attempting to prevent, but needless to say, there was no profanity intended, and, even if I was successful, not only is "R.X.S. Ex Gratia" not profanity, but even the base word, alone, without the periods is not profane, it's just legitimate word describing the procreative act.

/end rant.

topset 07-23-2013 02:08 PM

LOL.

That's pretty genius, crazy profanity filter is crazy. Harsh, but it's not going to change. You'll have to think of another witty name or have a different prefix :(

jrwith 07-23-2013 02:12 PM

I went with "Doppler" like the doppler effect.

medtac124 07-23-2013 02:15 PM

It also censors the word butt. Go figure.

o1derfull1 07-23-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

You'll have to think of another witty name or have a different prefix.
Unfortunately, on my fed, I can only pick RXS or USS - both of which end in 's'. So I am forced to catamaran around the galaxy in a prefix-less ship. I just know it's getting made fun by the other ships when I dock at a station.

medtac124 07-23-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o1derfull1 (Post 11548131)
I just know it's getting made fun by the other ships when I dock at a station.

Sounds like you need to get an adult involved!

ROFL

jetwtf 07-23-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o1derfull1 (Post 11547891)
but even the base word, alone, without the periods is not profane, it's just legitimate word describing the procreative act.

/end rant.

Every application from government forms to job applications I have filled out has the word sex in it. Followed by a M and an F checkbox, so sex can also be gender and not just the act.

As for the issue you bring up I tried U.S.S. Exodus and it wouldnt allow it.

assimilatedktar 07-23-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetwtf (Post 11548941)
Every application from government forms to job applications I have filled out has the word sex in it. Followed by a M and an F checkbox, so sex can also be gender and not just the act.

As for the issue you bring up I tried U.S.S. Exodus and it wouldnt allow it.

Okay, stooopid question: We do have an "Excalibur-class" which implies that there was at some point in time a USS Excalibur that was the prototype. Are you telling me that that's blocked too?

stardestroyer001 07-23-2013 03:06 PM

I've had experience with the ship name filter too. "Venture" and "Cryptic" can't be used.

zenzenarimasen 07-23-2013 03:09 PM

Profanity filter... profanity filter... *thinks*

Oh... you mean that check box I disable within 5 seconds of creating a new character? Takes less effort to disable it than it does to make a post on the forums about it.

Now if this was TERA... their profanity filter needs to die, but it won't die... The game is basically supposed to be Rated M For Mature, and Europe's equivilent of Rated AO for Adults Only, and yet it has a profanity filter... Half naked elves with boobs that sway in with their animations, sure. But you say the word "grass" which has profanity embedded in it? Oh that has to go, not only that, but your entire chat post has to go. The whole thing gets pounded... literally...

"I need to mow the grass"
becomes
"# #### ## ### ### #####"

And it's accompanied with a red chat message saying your bad behavior has been logged and not to do it again or you might get banned.

And you can't disable the TERA profanity filter at all. It happens server side with no toggle.

It's not as bad as it used to be. It used to have a bunch of Korean swear words which somehow corresponded to portions of English words. I suppose like 3 or 4 letters, and maybe they have the same byte values as a Korean swear word... I don't know, something like that. It was inexplicable. Just off the cuff, not an actual example, but something as innocuous as the word "food" might have triggered TERA's profanity filter when it first came out.