Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Reputation System (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Why I think The reputation system is very very bad... (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=825341)

darkphoxy 08-14-2013 01:17 PM

Why I think The reputation system is very very bad...

For one, what is the deal, you grind missions to get marks, that you turn around and put into a mission, that makes you grind some more to fill... Then when the mission is complete you grind some more to be able to buy the items? Like... WTF?

You guys actually prefer this over just getting some drops from a dungeon and buying your gear directly? which is much faster I remind you...

Ok... Fine, but Lets gets this reputation crap fixed, I suggest the following changes:

1. When we do the missions for the reputation we are trying to earn, the mission itself is the only grindy part and it adds up much like Duty officer rank XP. (in other words it shows up on the top bar when you click it as ranks 1-5 and fills in accordingly, just like Trade, recruitment, Diplomacy, etc...)

2. Leave the reputation tabs in the UI but make it just the Reputation Store, and the selection of special abilities area.

3. When we get the marks from the reputation use that as the reputation currency and do away with all the extra commodities and dilithium; or at least reduce the Dilithium cost and make it Reputation marks(Romulan/Nukara/Omega) and Dilithium.

4. Make the missions repeatable every 2 hours or so, that way the people who want to put in the time to get reputation faster can grind them till they reach the rep level they are after.

Me personally I would like to see the reputation section in the UI disappear and the social zone stores come back.

I miss going to Deep Space 9 and meeting other people who where also doing the Omega rep stuff, and would like to see a romulan social area to do the same and Nukara.

packer3434 08-14-2013 01:22 PM

I preferred the method of getting the stf items before the rep system was introduced, via drops.

Personally if they just put the drops back, even at a lower rate, I'd be happy. You would still know how long it would take till you got your gear yet you may get lucky on the way (a nice surprise too).

This would also encourage people to play all the stfs and not just run ise over and over again.

captainedna 08-14-2013 01:23 PM

reputation system is like the fleet holdings.

now in other games you have a items store where you pay with real money or ingame currency.Since this is not other game here you have to :

1.Build your item store (grind /pay for that) ....other games are stupid since they give you the item store for free.
2.Build items in the store (again grind and pay)
3.Pay for already paid and built items
4.Win

and add lots of time wasted waiting for cooldowns.

crusader2007 08-14-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packer3434 (Post 11910901)
I preferred the method of getting the stf items before the rep system was introduced, via drops.

Personally if they just put the drops back, even at a lower rate, I'd be happy. You would still know how long it would take till you got your gear yet you may get lucky on the way (a nice surprise too).

This would also encourage people to play all the stfs and not just run ise over and over again.

AHHH the GOOD old days before F2P and this sadistic hungry search for the binge of the orgy grind....unfortunately the few whiners and complainers at that time who cried foul perhaps feel so much better now with how you accomplish LITTLE for so many hrs required to get anything USEFUL....well done and hope their happy :D:D:D

"Ohh my gosh its full of EXPLOITs...shut it down"

the1tigglet 08-14-2013 01:45 PM

While I agree that some items could easily come down in price of marks at no time is this system WORSE than the 1999 RNG system. I just came from a game like that, trust me it is horrible. The old ways are old for a reason, they didn't work well. Talk about grind, try running the missions hundreds of times and never seeing that one set piece drop that should have dropped years ago right? That's what my experience with the STFs were like before the change. I welcomed this with open arms because sure I had to run a few STFs but never like I did in the past. And the other two reps don't even use STFs you can solo farm everything. it;s great compared to the old way because there wasn't this uncertainty or the constant bugs (and yes there were those people so quickly forget that drops alot of the time didn't drop or there was a malfunction that caused the STFs to stop functioning or people were able to hack the game and boot you from group cutting you off from your loot)

All of those things were happening in the RNG system and that was the other reasons for the change, people forget so easily I swear.

arcjet 08-14-2013 03:42 PM

My personal 2 cents why the rep system is bad:

- Not optional due to passive skills. To clarify: for me things are optional if there are alternatives. If the rep system was just about gear, that would be more or less the case.

- Horrible usability. Seriously, the dev that came up with those sliders should be .. ashamed

Apart from that I don't have anything against working for rewards. If you don't want to put in the time, just get equipment from drops or the exchange. It's not like the PvE portion of this game is that challenging.

-edit-
Oh yeah, and as some have mentioned, the pricing for the lower mark equipment is ridiculous. Plus there should be an option to upgrade mk X and mk XI gear via projects. But that boils down to usability again, I guess.

hasukurobi 08-14-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkphoxy (Post 11910811)
For one, what is the deal, you grind missions to get marks, that you turn around and put into a mission, that makes you grind some more to fill... Then when the mission is complete you grind some more to be able to buy the items? Like... WTF?

You guys actually prefer this over just getting some drops from a dungeon and buying your gear directly? which is much faster I remind you...

Ok... Fine, but Lets gets this reputation crap fixed, I suggest the following changes:

1. When we do the missions for the reputation we are trying to earn, the mission itself is the only grindy part and it adds up much like Duty officer rank XP. (in other words it shows up on the top bar when you click it as ranks 1-5 and fills in accordingly, just like Trade, recruitment, Diplomacy, etc...)

2. Leave the reputation tabs in the UI but make it just the Reputation Store, and the selection of special abilities area.

3. When we get the marks from the reputation use that as the reputation currency and do away with all the extra commodities and dilithium; or at least reduce the Dilithium cost and make it Reputation marks(Romulan/Nukara/Omega) and Dilithium.

4. Make the missions repeatable every 2 hours or so, that way the people who want to put in the time to get reputation faster can grind them till they reach the rep level they are after.

To the Bold part: Yes, I would take this over the "Random" chance to get something that may NEVER happen. A Sure Thing is always better than Random Chance.

1-3: I like these suggestions. Sounds great to me.

4. Forget that. Why have a cooldown at all? Just let us Que for whatever we want whenever we want.

bareel 08-14-2013 07:10 PM

First off I think the most amusing part is from what has been revealed so far the brand new awesome reputation with the new season will work just like Omega did pre-Rep system.

All they had to do was make the Mk XII gear purchasable for 80 EDC and the problem, would have been solved. Oh well.

killerklown11 08-14-2013 07:30 PM

There is alot to grind for in the game, with 3 rep systems and a Starbase to work for but.You work towards what you want not hope you get the gear in a drop. People when everything faster and not have to work for it but once you have it them what? Just remember you don't have to do the rep system. Almost all the game can be done with gear from drops and the exchange.

darkphoxy 08-14-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killerklown11 (Post 11916451)
There is alot to grind for in the game, with 3 rep systems and a Starbase to work for but.You work towards what you want not hope you get the gear in a drop. People when everything faster and not have to work for it but once you have it them what? Just remember you don't have to do the rep system. Almost all the game can be done with gear from drops and the exchange.

I think you mis-understand what I don't like. It's not the grind so much I have an issue with, playing MMO's for many, many years i'm used to that.

My issue is with the Grind, that feeds a grind, that feeds a grind.... How about 1 grind, gain some marks which are used as currency, and the reputation for completing the missions.

I just don't agree with grinding to get marks for a mission, then grinding to complete the mission, then doing yet another grind to get the gear you should have earned at this point.

I'm going for a tweak of the Reputation system more than anything.